PDA

View Full Version : Hanover with Austrians

Gorasonas
18th Apr 2005, 22:43
Did someone win the battle playing on Austrian side?
I didn't make it so far, i can't see any successful tactic :(

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 22:46
how can you play as the austrians?

Gorasonas
18th Apr 2005, 23:07
there is a little mod on http://www.imperial-glory.info/

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 23:12
ill give it a shot and see if i can come up with a winning tactic.

HellAngel_666
18th Apr 2005, 23:23
i won it... all you need to do is SEARCH! lol it takes five mins. when you do search you find the tatic to! but i'm not going to re-type it if your not going to search.

Gorasonas
19th Apr 2005, 07:46
Hmmm weird, why do i not believe you? ^^

Gorasonas
21st Apr 2005, 20:16
bump

My god are we all noobish? Noone has a suitable tactic?
I fear the cpu is not beatable in this match...

BANANAMAN
21st Apr 2005, 20:53
One question though.. when you download the mod. and you open the compressed file you get two choices: search on the internet and manualy choose a file to open it. What to do? How do I unpack the downloaded mod.?

Those were two questions by the way, lol. :D

Cro_Knight
22nd Apr 2005, 23:36
why u talking bout that

mob
22nd Apr 2005, 23:51
One question though.. when you download the mod. and you open the compressed file you get two choices: search on the internet and manualy choose a file to open it. What to do? How do I unpack the downloaded mod.?

Those were two questions by the way, lol. :D

neither just get it and drag it into the appropreit place

usally data or just wherever
C:\Program Files\Pyro Studios\Imperial Glory Demo\FSCommand
around there

La Neige
23rd Apr 2005, 04:34
Back to the original topic…

I saw in this thread that one can play for Austrians and decided to try it out.

After several utterly failed attempts, I finally won (a few minutes ago). It was an extremely close victory, in which I only had 8 men left, but I want to recount the battle nevertheless.

First, I’ll briefly tell about the things I tried that did not work. Simply occupying the farm and concentrating your defences on it got me nowhere, and I am convinced that this way does not work. An intensive advance right after the beginning of the battle is slightly more productive. The idea is to try and hold them off at the bridge. However, they seem to get to the bridge first no matter what, and getting your artillery close enough to bombard the bridge is impossible before they get half of their army across. While you do have a chance to slow their advance a little, it still isn’t enough to win.

Now here is how my winning battle went. I have to note that it was far from perfect, and there is room for improvement. First I sent a unit of grenzers into the farm, the artillery slightly ahead of the farm (to prevent the enemy artillery from destroying the building). A unit of grenadiers and another unit of grenzers cover the artillery. The second unit of grenadiers is left as a reserve, and it goes to occupy the forest. The hussars follow the 2nd grenadiers to await further orders just south of the forest.

By now, the British had crossed the river. Had they attacked my 2nd grenadiers, I would have had a good defensive position, but they did not. They went straight for the farm. They sent their first unit of hussars to charge my lines without proper support, so their attack was repelled quite easily, though they did manage to almost completely wipe out the 1st grenadiers (the Austrian forces in this battle are quite inferior). Then the main attack came from the British. The artillery did a good job weakening their lines, but it did not last long under the charge of the enemy’s 2nd unit of hussars. As the enemy tried to crush my defences, my own hussars charge from behind enemy lines to quickly deal with the British artillery. Before the hussars died heroically, they even managed to weaken one of the enemy’s infantry units after the artillery was destroyed. My cavalry’s goal was achieved brilliantly, and at this point I wished the enemy good luck with trying to take the farm without proper support.

After this attack, my own artillery was destroyed, and two enemy infantry units were bombarding the farm, in which my single unit of grenzers was trying to hold out. So I sent in the fresh unit of grenadiers to deal with one of the enemy’s two weakened units. The 2nd grenadiers fired two volleys, and after that I ordered them to charge. The enemy’s unit was supposed to fall completely, but this was a severe underestimation from my part. Before my men reached the enemy unit, it had enough time to form a carré, and my grenadiers were sent running without having inflicted any damage at all. In the end, they didn’t even get a chance to finish off this unit before they too fell. This was enough, however, to reduce the enemy numbers to the size with which they could no longer take the farm.

It was still pretty close, as you can see here (http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dnovikov/www/img/Autriche.jpg).

But the end (http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dnovikov/www/img/LAutricheAGagne.jpg) was worth it!

MHRoe
23rd Apr 2005, 06:33
I only had 8 men left

But the end (http://netfiles.uiuc.edu/dnovikov/www/img/LAutricheAGagne.jpg) was worth it!
You have brought a whole new meaning to the phhyric victory...Congrats

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 08:18
Yeah! Congratulations! :)

It was a most thrilling & exciting battle, yes?! :eek: :)

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 08:25
And who said this game wasnt tactical? Someone smak that guy whoever said that! :mad:

And La Neige??... what did you have learned in Imperial Glory? You have learned that a arcade style of attacking head on does NOT work, yes? :D

In Imperial Glory it's about positioning units hidden at the enemy's flanks and then attacking at their flanks or behind/rear.

Imperial Glory IS tactical! :)

Gorasonas
23rd Apr 2005, 11:09
@ xPrincex

There is a nice sentence in german: Wenn man keine Ahnung hat, einfach mal die Fresse halten. Which is not good to translate but the meaning: If you don't have any clue, better shut up sometimes.
But nice to see the Praetorians noobs around here too ;)

@ La Neige

You are the man, my admiration to you. I remember your name and hope we will meet online :)
BUT: you dont have grenadiers in this battle...
In fact i was doing your first tactic all time with good results. I took the little hill on my side a bit left in front of the bridge. The british 1. hussars is always attacking immediately then and quickly dieing. The key is to let your infantry a bit in front of the hill, then the enemy artillary is always firing the hill -> very poor AI here :D
The bad thing is that the enemy sends all his infantry in a bulk and they are so superior.. My best result was: In the end i charged with 1 single Musketeer (a man not a unit)
to the enemy artillery. No enemy Kav and Inf was left. I lost but only 12 enemies had survived.

Now i will try your tactic..

Gorasonas
23rd Apr 2005, 12:26
yahoo i won it, though the mod is crashing quite often

Last husar standing (http://home.versanet.de/~gorasonas/IG/last_husar_standing.gif )
Victory stats (http://home.versanet.de/~gorasonas/IG/demostats.gif )

tactic:
1. if you move to the forrest enemy cav is coming across the river so i send all men to the house in the start
2. ai mistake no.1 = his hussars attack and run into suicide
3. my art is a bit left and in front of the house, 2 musketeer + 1 grenzer close behind
4. enemy troops engage all together, his art is behind and still out of range
5. my art shoots, while i order my cav to attack the enganging infantry= attackers form circle :D
6. i get my cav back, when attacker inf engages i attack again = again circle *stupid ai*
7. my cav finally dead :( enemy inf engages my art: Now i send 1 musketeer into close combat while other musketeer, grenzers + grenzers in house are firing
8. enemy art shooting and doing much damage to me, but also damage to own troops (thought this was not possible)
9. i retreat with all back, i leave house empty
10. his 2. husars engage
11. i turn and storm with my left men, musketeers storm the enemy art, grenzers back to the house shooting the enemy husars and the other inf into close combat with husars

2 troops survived (with strong casualties)
:)

Gorasonas
23rd Apr 2005, 13:20
Tactic seems to be good.
Here another victory (http://home.versanet.de/~gorasonas/IG/morevictories.gif) with 73 of my men survived.

Gorasonas
23rd Apr 2005, 16:44
do you see any red dots left?
Anyway i'll watch for you on the battlefield! :p

La Neige
23rd Apr 2005, 19:09
Ah, sorry, I got musketeers and grenadiers confused. :)

Anyway, congratulations with your victory, Gorasonas! You managed to emerge with many more survivors too!

BANANAMAN: Yes, tactics is important here, as with any other strategy game, and it's nice to see that not all depends on who can build up and launch an attack first, as with so many other games. However, while the main battle is extremely fun to watch in this game, I would like to have more control over my troops. I don't want them to break formation on their own as soon as the battle starts and then not being able to stop. Perhaps the battle itself should go at a bit slower pace. Also, it would be very nice to have the ability to control the direction of the line formation. It's frustrating when I try to line up my troops in parallel to the enemy.

Otherwise, it's a great game, and I very much look forward to it!

BANANAMAN
23rd Apr 2005, 19:24
Ah, sorry, I got musketeers and grenadiers confused. :)

Anyway, congratulations with your victory, Gorasonas! You managed to emerge with many more survivors too!

BANANAMAN: Yes, tactics is important here, as with any other strategy game, and it's nice to see that not all depends on who can build up and launch an attack first, as with so many other games. However, while the main battle is extremely fun to watch in this game, I would like to have more control over my troops. I don't want them to break formation on their own as soon as the battle starts and then not being able to stop. Perhaps the battle itself should go at a bit slower pace. Also, it would be very nice to have the ability to control the direction of the line formation. It's frustrating when I try to line up my troops in parallel to the enemy.

Otherwise, it's a great game, and I very much look forward to it!

Well, there is indeed no hold/stand group option in the demo, but when you choose a formation and you go with your mouse cursor keeping the right mouse-button pressed where you want them to go and keep that right mouse-button pressed and make a rotation movement and you will be able to see the formation's group profile (green circles) with its yellow coloured face direction arrow. Voila! It takes a lot of practice but when getting used to this way of moving your formations it's easy cake. :cool:

You can also click on a formation, keep the letter 'S' pressed and point with your mouse-cursor/arrow the direction where you want them to face to.

Lt.Phoenix
28th Apr 2005, 22:08
I find it funny that you would continuously call people frauds for no reason, when on your earlier record, there are still 2 units remaining on the battlefield, during your so called "record"

Cracker Mouth
4th May 2005, 21:50
Wow, I can't believe you guys had trouble with that map, its really easy if you just set up at the house and kill the regiment of Hussars that attack with no support.

Set up a regiment of Musketeers in front of the house but behind the 3 trees, and a Grenzer division beside them. Then set up the other Grenzers in the house, the other Musketeers to the left of the Grenzers and the Artillery behind the Grenzers and your Hussars covering the left flank of the artillery. There's some other things you have to do but you should figure that out by yourself.

Heres my score:

http://img209.echo.cx/img209/3134/pwntx30ky.jpg

[BlackBirdy]
8th May 2005, 20:27
Hanover as Austria: 19 killed.

I don't know how many times I tried... but the result is there...

http://img108.echo.cx/img108/5661/hanoveraustria9jb.th.jpg (http://img108.echo.cx/my.php?image=hanoveraustria9jb.jpg)