PDA

View Full Version : Issues With the Game

ArchdukeMagyar
18th Apr 2005, 13:53
Issues I have with the game are as follows:

Austro-Hungary is incorrectly dubbed Austria.

A-H and Prussia are clearly more or less the same faction, with little or no effort having gone into making them truly unique. I'm not even sure that this applies only to these factions, with each empire having more or less the same troops under different names. Shameful.

There are serious issues concerning unit deployment (e.g standing ground) as I'm sure many of you are aware.

The graphics aren't as good as those in the total war series, and the units are more difficult to control. This is very dissapointing, the controls make such a difference and I found this fiddly and annoying especially without a pause button. I was really pissed off that you can only select one unit at a time on the bar, why not be able to press ctrl and highlight another?

The clear advantage that some factions have in the demo and are going to have in the full game means that the single player (something many are holding out for) is going to be far from fun and multiplayer will always be unfair.

Why all the broken promiseS? Were they rushed last minute to go gold? It just seems like such a slap-dash attempt.

Irish2
18th Apr 2005, 14:29
^^Shouldn't your post be in the demo feedback thread? Also how do you know trhe single player campaign is no fun? Have you played it? The modders will have all the nations correctly accounted shortly after release, I am sure.

Berdan
18th Apr 2005, 14:58

A-H and Prussia are clearly more or less the same faction, with little or no effort having gone into making them truly unique. I'm not even sure that this applies only to these factions, with each empire having more or less the same troops under different names. Shameful.

There are serious issues concerning unit deployment (e.g standing ground) as I'm sure many of you are aware.

The graphics aren't as good as those in the total war series, and the units are more difficult to control. This is very dissapointing, the controls make such a difference and I found this fiddly and annoying especially without a pause button. I was really pissed off that you can only select one unit at a time on the bar, why not be able to press ctrl and highlight another?

The clear advantage that some factions have in the demo and are going to have in the full game means that the single player (something many are holding out for) is going to be far from fun and multiplayer will always be unfair.

Why all the broken promiseS? Were they rushed last minute to go gold? It just seems like such a slap-dash attempt.

you speak as if you already have the full version. i'll hold back my final verdict until i have the full game in my hands....& even then i'll mod the hell out of it for fun ;)

ArchdukeMagyar
18th Apr 2005, 15:02
I have played it. I know someone who works for the German branch of Eidos, was playing it at his house last night. It's a real let-down.

Villaret-Joyeuse
18th Apr 2005, 15:06
If this be true, then maybe our fears are justified. :(

HellAngel_666
18th Apr 2005, 16:14
WOWOWOWO! just one question... is it FUN?! i mean like TW FUN! or like OoT FUN? thats what truely matters. but is what you say is true even if it is fun i'm not buying it.

(hows the anim's by the way. alot of gliches in the demo like some people firing guns while under water.... is that in the full game to?)

thanks for your time sorry to hear this but glad i can save my money now. thanks for this warning.

Lindkvist
18th Apr 2005, 16:52

What's wrong with that? Austro-Hungary got that name when the union took place in 1867. Before that it was simply called Austria where the Hungarian territory was a part of the empire.

Apart from that I agree with your stated issues. :)

/Lars L.

mob
18th Apr 2005, 16:56
almsot all of this part of what he said is rubish

but i am very unhappy its a let down my friend told me companys put as much effort into demos as they do the finishing game but feck eidos if its true

Les The Lionheart
18th Apr 2005, 17:00
Yea I was looking forward to this game. So far it seems to be a let down.

ArchdukeMagyar
18th Apr 2005, 17:13
An army is more difficult to control. Management is clumsy, and the graphics aren't that great are they. I really think they've rushed it for one reason or another.

Les The Lionheart
18th Apr 2005, 17:24
Yup maybe i will not buy it.

Sharpe
18th Apr 2005, 18:25
Yup maybe i will not buy it.

:eek:

that would be an interesting clan leader...

Les The Lionheart
18th Apr 2005, 18:39
lol good point. ;) Na i will buy it. I might be able to learn to mod with it.

mob
18th Apr 2005, 19:05
same no way am i playing the org version from what im hearing

Lt.Phoenix
18th Apr 2005, 21:33
Oh lord, he's made it onto these forums...RUN FOR IT!!!

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 22:08

1. standing ground seems to be the same as the tw series has handled it. without the "running away" aspect, aside from cavalry units having artillery shot directly into their ranks.

2. the graphics are better than the total war series, in my opinion. the fluidity of animations, the weather effects, particle effects, explosions, everything about it is just smooth and much better than TW.

3. what are these clear advantages for units?
infantry equals with infantry.
cannons beat infantry at range.
cavalry beats cannon.
etc.

but you do know there is a pause button, right? spacebar. granted, you cant issue orders while paused, but atleast you can set things up while paused so you arent scrolling around during battle, wasting time.

Sharpe
18th Apr 2005, 22:10
Oh lord, he's made it onto these forums...RUN FOR IT!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HellAngel_666
18th Apr 2005, 23:15
lol good one Phoenix!.

also what he means by units is that there all the same. au elite units have the same attack and such as british elite units. line the same ect. when in real life they were completely differnet in battle!

Lt.Phoenix
18th Apr 2005, 23:34
And then the topic of balance arises. Sure, the game would be more interesting, but one of the things Arch is complaining about (one of the MAAAANY) would gain it's validity, in that there would never be 100% balance in EVERY single person's view. It would turn into Warcraft 3. Frankly, I like how it is now, of course, we don't exactly know how it is now anyways.

warobserver
19th Apr 2005, 00:08

This is very dissapointing, the controls make such a difference and I found this fiddly and annoying especially without a pause button. I was really pissed off that you can only select one unit at a time on the bar, why not be able to press ctrl and highlight another?

yea. you've got the good point. and if there be someone who doesn't agree with this, just listen huh? just listen. that mention ArchdukeMagyar did is the very common feeling, not just about whether buy it or not. i won't lie the first impression just for the fear that already maniac of this game criticizes. so..listen. buying game or not...is second matter on this board.

i have been afraid that they would make mistake at first thier loadmap about what will the game be. but that's coming true. this is...strategical game with lots of units to have to be controled at large scale, while they making this like one necessary to have handful mouse craftmanship, very quickly clicking and hitting hot-key(not sure how effecitve it works) no ..no way.

selection of unit one by one at a time to defend or attack forward enemy line is really funny...really sux. But i suspect they make it that way 'CONSCIOUSLY 'as their favorite game play. But they forget the fact..this game is not COMMANDOS series...this sort of is 'must take battle form or battel arrary game' from the opening to end of battle without cease in the first place.

BaronVonSnakPak
19th Apr 2005, 00:10
im not saying this sarcastically, and it doesnt really contribute, but i love your english. seriously.

Czar
19th Apr 2005, 01:08
This is a concern...

But, if you have got the full game (or access to it) as you say...

What about the naval battles?

Does the final version have crew on the ships? Boarding actions?

Tell us more!

On Balance issues...
I saw a post by a Dev agaes ago (maybe in FAQ?) about the fact that they were working on 'Balancing' the battlegrounds.
Must admit, I'm not so happy about this approach. War is not always 'balanced'. The thing that defines a good commander is being able to correctly identify that imbalance and act appropriately.
If that means withdrawing - so be it.
Personally - I love playing the underdog. ;)

Anyway, looks like we will have to wait for player reviews to REALLY see what IG is like. :rolleyes:

Cro_Knight
19th Apr 2005, 01:18
i think they left the forums for our little squabbles while they concern on something else
but back to this

i feel that this game should have a friggin morale sttructure like how can u have one little rank of british light infantry come into a section of battle with 3 imperial guard regiments and still fight like im sure the british fought valiently at waterloo but in napoleons previous years just the sight of them would send the enemy in retreat LOL its must need

Oststar
19th Apr 2005, 01:44
Now this is *****ing...

You're proven wrong.

I think, though it hasn't been stated, that nations will have different igrained strengths in the final game, longer range, morale, energy maybe. It didn't show in the demo but the windmills were just decorations in the demo, displaying the incomplete nature of the game.

I've never had trouble with my units, at least not outside of the occasionally charge, but what do you think a unit would do in that situation?

Having seen both I think RTW graphics aren't half as good.

What advantages? One minute you're whining about overbalance then whining about imbalance.

You post in this one is incongrous with your later post. If you know an Eidos dev (Aren't eidos the publisher the not developer?) then wouldn't you know if it was a rush to go gold?

You're either a disturbingly whiny teenager or a troll.

Oststar
19th Apr 2005, 01:50
I have played it. I know someone who works for the German branch of Eidos, was playing it at his house last night. It's a real let-down.

How can you know someone from Eidos and not know if it's gone gold? Last time I checked they were still working on it. If you read some articles from a few days ago by major reviewers they say there are some problems with the demo being shallow as compared to the immersiveness of the real game. The particular reviewer then states that any issues look to be resolved in the next few weeks by Pyrostudios. That indicates the game hasn't been shipped yet, leaving the question: How does a low-medium level Eidos worker get a copy of an unreleased game?

Commisar Adam
19th Apr 2005, 01:54
I'm remaining neutral, however I would like to address several concerns after playing several demos (with MODs):

Firstly, the controls are eradic: the camera swivels so uncontrolably that I am incapable of keeping my same position for more than a few seconds. This even occured while using my laser mouse, fresh from Dell.

Secondly, realism is lacking. Without friendly fire, my men can walk through each others ranks without a scratch. I am especially annoyed because the inept A.I. clumps up and fires without being phased.

The general never appears on the battlefield. The soldiers are virtually commanding themselves, while Wellington sipps tea in his cottage.

Cavalry against any formation but line are instantaeously slaughtered. Charging into a square formation will result in a complete retreat. And I'm also concerned with formations; the limited selection of formations, lack of group formations, and no custom formations makes combat dull and redundant.

The inability to command multiple regiments at once creates an incredibly tedious micro-managment issue. I have to go to each division and assign it its own special task. This hardly becomes an issue, however, because of the severe limitation of men. Correct me if I'm wrong, but battles have a maximum unit limitation of 2000 men. I can hardly simulate battles if I have less than a fraction of the size of an actual army.

I'll shut up now, and leave you to condradict everything I said! ;)

Lt.Phoenix
19th Apr 2005, 03:10
How could anyone on here have enough time to contradict EVERYTHING you said that needs contradicting? :) and bravo Oststar, I hand you the torch.

Commisar Adam
19th Apr 2005, 15:40
I usually take the pessimistic side, however this game does deserve some mention:
-Naval combat looks entertaining. Personal command of naval combat isn't offered in RTW, so IG might provide a little variety.
-Graphics can only be equalled by RTW. The landscape is wonderful, which takes your mind of the mediocre gameplay.
-The strategical mapmode features a tech tree, another feature not offered by the Total War series.
-Hopefully, the varying commanders will add interest to combat.
-Cavalry, although undrepowered, provide a flexible arm and are more convieniant than cavalry in other games.
-Finally, artillery is actually effective against targets other than walls. Artillery is unique in this game, and will drastically effect tactics.
In my opinion, the game comes up a little short, however it will be a nice relief from the Total War series.