PDA

View Full Version : SnowBlind is working Great on my 2 PCs *Must Read*

Lotto
16th Apr 2005, 17:57
Ok, so I was in Wal-Mart after reading some good things about SnowBlind so I decided to buy it. I get home and do some additional research on these forums and see people complaining about how the game doesn't work and son on and so forth which made me almost return the game to get my money back since it was unopened. Well, I decided I would give it a spin just to see for myself. I loaded the game up on two of my home network PCs and not only does the game work great, but it is fun as hell. Thank god I didn't listen to all the people complaning! My son is playing it on my other PC right now having a blast!

Anyways, My PC specs are:

Athlon64 3500+ AthlonXP 3200+
K8T890 Chipset KT880 Chipset
1 Gig 3200 DDR 1 Gig 3200DDR
Nvidia 6800GT Nvidia 6600GT
Audigy Soundcard Audigy Soundcard
VIA HYPERION ALL-IN-ONE 4.56
Nvidia ForceWare Drivers 71.89 WHQL Official Release

I now understand why alot of developers shy away from PC games and develop exclusively for consoles.

Dillon
16th Apr 2005, 21:05
Well its not like we're making it up, I'm not really sure why you're trying to slam people who do have problems.

DXman
16th Apr 2005, 21:37
out of all the complaints, negative comments and posts about this game, only one positive comment by Lotto, which makes me believe he made his story up. both users with ATI and Nvidia cards have complained about graphics and crash issues with this game, i cant understand why you're the only one that has been able to run the game without a hitch. i myself also have an Nvidia 6800 GT 256mb. the Nvidia driver 71.89 did solve the problem with the game lagging at certain areas and it plays very smoothly now, but the crash issue is still present.

Lotto
16th Apr 2005, 22:00
out of all the complaints, negative comments and posts about this game, only one positive comment by Lotto, which makes me believe he made his story up. both users with ATI and Nvidia cards have complained about graphics and crash issues with this game, i cant understand why you're the only one that has been able to run the game without a hitch. i myself also have an Nvidia 6800 GT 256mb. the Nvidia driver 71.89 did solve the problem with the game lagging at certain areas and it plays very smoothly now, but the crash issue is still present.

You claiming that I am lying is absurd! Do you really believe all the people in this forum represent most of the users that bought the game? Actually, I participate in a much larger forum and I haven't seen any complaints regarding the game there.

Anyways, I'm thinking that you should probably try the VIA Hyperion 4.56 All-in-1s. as well. My son is still playing the game and it hasn't crashed yet. He is playing on my 6600GT system. other than that, the drivers and BIOS are up to date on my systems and I think I'm using 256mb for the AGP aperture. I have fast writes and everything else enabled.

admin_old
16th Apr 2005, 22:13
It's typical for un-knowledge people like yourself lotto to try to blame hardware and drivers that are way above the "minimum requirements" for the bad job at coding this game. You must work for edios or something since 99% of this forum is negative posts about the game and how it plays.

I myself have a amd athlonx xp 3400+ @ 2.9gigz / ABIT NF7-S Rev 2 mobo UP-TO-DATE bios drivers / 1gig of ram ddr400 / a GAINWARD 6800 uLTRA @ 465 / 1260 with 76.41 drivers, audigy 2 platinum sound card with eax / eaxHD / 24bit / 5.1 to 7.1 sd! 160 gig SATA hdd + 2nd 40gig sata hdd and I build my own computers, and I work for computer tech and computer sales and have been building my own comps for 12 years. NO OTHER GAMES HAVE ANY ISSUES, i play WoW, hl2, devastation, the sims 2, farcry and tons of other games! NO ISSUES WITH ANY OF THEM!

With ALL THAT in mind this game STILL CRASHES and freezes up at random and is horribly coded for online play. I saw this sync issue with MTA VC game that was coded by AMATURE CODERS! DOING IT FOR FREE!!!!! I don't expect such pathetic coding by people that get PAID to do it and SELL THE GAME FOR MONEY!! MTA VC even fixed their syncing issues right away and they are amature coders!

So just because you think the quality of the game is good, you obviously don't know any better and have low standars for games :| Games that are charged $50 for should NOT be like this, if the game was $19 I wouldnt care, this game might as well be $19! It's budgjet quality overcharged with some fancy blurry effects using dirctx! OOoOOOo! it's so worth $30 more! BLURRYNESS OOOO *sarcasm*

jaywalker2309
16th Apr 2005, 22:26
It's typical for un-knowledge people like yourself lotto to try to blame hardware and drivers that are way above the "minimum requirements" for the bad job at coding this game. You must work for edios or something since 99% of this forum is negative posts about the game and how it plays.

I myself have a amd athlonx xp 3400+ @ 2.9gigz / ABIT NF7-S Rev 2 mobo UP-TO-DATE bios drivers / 1gig of ram ddr400 / a GAINWARD 6800 uLTRA @ 465 / 1260 with 76.41 drivers, audigy 2 platinum sound card with eax / eaxHD / 24bit / 5.1 to 7.1 sd! 160 gig SATA hdd + 2nd 40gig sata hdd and I build my own computers, and I work for computer tech and computer sales and have been building my own comps for 12 years. NO OTHER GAMES HAVE ANY ISSUES, i play WoW, hl2, devastation, the sims 2, farcry and tons of other games! NO ISSUES WITH ANY OF THEM!

With ALL THAT in mind this game STILL CRASHES and freezes up at random and is horribly coded for online play. I saw this sync issue with MTA VC game that was coded by AMATURE CODERS! DOING IT FOR FREE!!!!! I don't expect such pathetic coding by people that get PAID to do it and SELL THE GAME FOR MONEY!! MTA VC even fixed their syncing issues right away and they are amature coders!

So just because you think the quality of the game is good, you obviously don't know any better and have low standars for games :| Games that are charged $50 for should NOT be like this, if the game was $19 I wouldnt care, this game might as well be $19! It's budgjet quality overcharged with some fancy blurry effects using dirctx! OOoOOOo! it's so worth $30 more! BLURRYNESS OOOO *sarcasm*

He aint an employee.. Not everyone has problems with the game.. forums represent a tiny % of the number of people playing the game, and its a known fact that the most likely to post on a forum are people with a reason to post, ie having problems or just haters.. those with problems we try and help, haters we just ignore (after we've read what they hate and determine if its actually genuine or just gibberish) - so dont knock someone for actually being on here for something other then complaining.

Yes we know some people are having problems and we are looking into them, however there ARE a lot of users out there not having any problems (just cos you personally dont see them posting doesnt mean they dont exist)

Aris666
16th Apr 2005, 22:30
Good for you lotto and lucky you for not having trouble with the game especially the game is crowded with complaints about many issues.
I also dont have any problems running the game, only a single crash after that never had any problems with it.

Lotto
16th Apr 2005, 23:09

Funny how you question my knowledge when I never blamed anyone or anything regarding the problems you are having. From my own personal experience, the game runs great for me so I think it was a good buy and good coding. Again, I have it installed on 2 different PCs with different Specs and it runs flawlessly. So from my stand point, I would have to say it's something else going on versus their code.

I know that on some games using the UT engine and other engines the Athlon64 has code enabled in XP SP2 that causes those games to crash randomly. You have to disable that feature in order to get those games to run smoothly. Maybe that is what you are experiencing?

admin_old
16th Apr 2005, 23:25
Funny how you question my knowledge when I never blamed anyone or anything regarding the problems you are having. From my own personal experience, the game runs great for me so I think it was a good buy and good coding. Again, I have it installed on 2 different PCs with different Specs and it runs flawlessly. So from my stand point, I would have to say it's something else going on versus their code.

I know that on some games using the UT engine and other engines the Athlon64 has code enabled in XP SP2 that causes those games to crash randomly. You have to disable that feature in order to get those games to run smoothly. Maybe that is what you are experiencing?

i'm not using a 64bit proc mang :)
all software/games crash so i'm not saying it's the end of the world cuz it happens. Nothing can be 100% perfect because humans make mistakes. Just would be very happy if they had a patch release info page or any talks on a patch :| orrrrrrrrrr gimmie the source i'll patch it up hehehe!

Sixx2k
17th Apr 2005, 02:11
Actually---Except for a static problem which I fixed by turning of effects in DXDIAG I've almost completed the single player with NOT A SINGLE CRASH!!

Maybe I'm just lucky????

AMD XP 2800-1 gig PC 2700-ATI RADEON 9800-dual 80 gig SATA RAID 0- AOPEN 5.1 sound card.

Anyone think of any reason I have not crashed??? Is it just ON-line play crashing??

admin_old
17th Apr 2005, 04:18
No clue
All i know is that i have a NVIDIA 6800 Ultra card. Maybe it behaves different with nvidia cards than it does with ATI. I know when I first installed the game It would not go passed the 2 main movies, I just went ahead and updated drivers to beta ones (they were beta then) the 76.41's and then it worked fine other than the sync problems online which is on every machine regardless of drivers / hardware you have.

Maybe ATI is more compatible with this game? I'd actually like to know how many of the people that crash have nvidia cards and what chips they use etc to get an idea of if it's something hardware wise that's not compatible with this game.

Dllfile
17th Apr 2005, 09:41
crashes on my 6800, 5900 and ti 4200, I have 8 computers, though those are my highest end cards, the rest are cheap mx 440's

and before you ask why I have 8 computers, because I work from home and I have my lab here. (repairs ect..)

Anyways, all my crashes occur only in single player and only after completing a mission, when it begins loading the next mission, I have to reload the game after the crash in order to resume from my "inbetween mission" save point.

And yes, I have tried the effects off, tried vsync on/off ect.., tried several resolutions, even 10+ driver sets, none make a difference, same crash, same time, right after mission complete, save goes through no prob, start to goto loading the next mission info, crash :)

admin_old
17th Apr 2005, 23:45
Hm all nvidia cards, that's odd eh?
For me it crashes in multiplayer also! I'm shooting around I go to use a special power and I crash! SOmetimes it straight out freezes on me! the screen gets all weird lines and freezes and i have to reboot! Or some sound effect keeps repeating and the game freezes and i have to reboot! Then I get the good crashes that just go to desktop with debug option etc...

I got a gainward 6800Ultra

Lotto
18th Apr 2005, 05:17
Hm all nvidia cards, that's odd eh?
For me it crashes in multiplayer also! I'm shooting around I go to use a special power and I crash! SOmetimes it straight out freezes on me! the screen gets all weird lines and freezes and i have to reboot! Or some sound effect keeps repeating and the game freezes and i have to reboot! Then I get the good crashes that just go to desktop with debug option etc...

I got a gainward 6800Ultra

both of my pcs have 480watt PSUs in them. no overclocking at all.

JayJay379
18th Apr 2005, 05:34
Hey admin it sounds like NVidia cards are the problem, after reading this thread ... Just wanted to let you know that I have a ATI RADEON X850 XT Card, and I haven't experienced one crash yet... Maybe thats the prob., just wanted to let you guys know ... Also, I don't have SP2 installed, all it ever did was give me problem after problem.

But one problem I do keep having is that I keep getting disconnected from my internet connection while playing online ... As soon as I shut the game down it works fine again, no restart needed ... Is this a legit problem or could it be from something else?
:eek:

admin_old
18th Apr 2005, 05:41
That happened to me once, i got disconnected and it said i could not log in the network again. But then it logged me in, i think that's more of a server side issue with eidos not your game's software.

I'm starting to think that this game is not so compatible with nvidia cards, especially the 6800 series. I'd recommend that they do more QA testing with 6800 rigs with newest drivers like 76.41's and see what happens.

I also have a 460watt enermax powersupply ( very good psu ) and there's no way a dvd writer / cd writer / 1 x 160gig sata hdd / 6800 gt + 7 fans would take 460watts of power lol even if 3 of the fans are blue led :) 460watts is LOTS of power! BUTTTTTTTTT i'm planning on building a new comp anyways iwth the new 680watt PSU i saw the other day. It'll have wc so i can overclock it even more :D

Mike_B
18th Apr 2005, 14:58
even if 3 of the fans are blue led :)

Leds generally don't take that much power :)

Anyway I have a Geforce 6600 had problems before but since I have the 71.89 drivers hadn't any crash yet. I haven't been playing it as much as before since I finished it but from the time I played it worked ok.

D'artanian
19th Apr 2005, 00:31
I to have problems, but nothing that will stop me from playing the game, its fun as hell, and so far IF i keep my HD defragged (important believe it or not) I only crash about every 4-5 games. To me, this is tolerable. Not good but tolerable, Eidos is working on a patch and I am sure it will be released soon.(cross my fingers) :) :)
I have an avrage/above avg cpu.
P4 3ghz
1gig ram
ATI 9800.

But defragging every 2 days, seems to cut down on the problems. I dont know why, but seems to cut down crashes by half