PDA

View Full Version : Audio Stutters/Hiccups/Jerks/Pauses...

vingie
14th Apr 2005, 03:04
Experiencing weird audio stutters in project snowblind - even in the opening eidos logo video and intro video (the .bik files play properly using radtools) - the game plays perfectly well for about 2-3 seconds and then freezes for about 0.5 seconds and this cycle repeats continously which makes the game totally unplayable -- causes the audio to keep breaking off, the animation and audio in the cut scenes to lose synchronisation and the gameplay to stutter dramatically!

Tried changing the sound acceleration in dxdiag to OFF, but that didnt help. Tried different resolutions, switching the shadows and full screen effects ON/OFF but no luck

Using P4-3.2/865PE with onboard 658 realtek codec/AC97 and Geforce 6600GT (66.93 drivers)

Do i need to upgrade my video drivers to the new 71.84s (heard bad things about them) OR is this problem related to the onboard audio (which never casued any problems before even in DOOM3, Half-Life2, Chronicles of Rid**** and Battle for Middle Earth)??

Thanks,
vin

vingie
14th Apr 2005, 05:15
tried disabling the on-board sound to isolate whether the problem (of audio skipping and gamplay stuttering) was related to the soundcard - BUT the gameplay stutters continue!!

this basically means that something else is causing the game to stutter every 3-4 seconds which in turn makes the audio skip.

do you think the agp aperture size might have any effect?? will try fooling around with that.

in the meanwhile any suggestions on which nvidia drivers work best with this game would be appreciated.

cheers,
vin

Sixx2k
14th Apr 2005, 17:13
I had the same issue but turning it off in DXDIAG fixed it for me.

jaywalker2309
15th Apr 2005, 00:03
tried disabling the on-board sound to isolate whether the problem (of audio skipping and gamplay stuttering) was related to the soundcard - BUT the gameplay stutters continue!!

this basically means that something else is causing the game to stutter every 3-4 seconds which in turn makes the audio skip.

do you think the agp aperture size might have any effect?? will try fooling around with that.

in the meanwhile any suggestions on which nvidia drivers work best with this game would be appreciated.

cheers,
vin

Try the newly released drivers 71.89 (out today)

Dillon
15th Apr 2005, 21:36
I have the exact same problem on a Radeon 9800 pro, it doesn't seem to be related to the 6600GT graphics card if your system is having the same problem. My specs are;

2.4Ghz Athlon XP
768 DDR ram
Radeon 9800 pro 128MB
Sound Blaster Audigy
Nforce2 A7N8X Deluxe motherboard

Oh and I have the same issue in the demo.

vingie
16th Apr 2005, 04:40
dillon,

have you found any solution for this yet? and do you also experience pauses/stutters in the opening videos (intro & eidos logo)??

Dillon
16th Apr 2005, 21:03
Yes exactly as you describe, I've tried like you turning off sound acceleration and even using nForce audio but no dice. I don't know of any solution but it makes the game unplayable.

vingie
18th Apr 2005, 06:46
jaycw2309,

the new 71.89 drivers didnt help - in fact, they made matters worse for me in a few other games (stolen now plays like a slideshow!!)

thanks for nothing,
vin

jaywalker2309
18th Apr 2005, 09:26
jaycw2309,

the new 71.89 drivers didnt help - in fact, they made matters worse for me in a few other games (stolen now plays like a slideshow!!)

thanks for nothing,
vin

Are you on their forums telling them to fix their game? Drivers ARE NOT eidos responsibility.. nVidia/ATI do as they please with them, fixing issues optimising their own code.. If it breaks one game, but fixes 3 blah blah thats not of their concern, but it is of ours. now these new drivers FIX snowblind, so in that respect we will tell users to use them. If other games break then tell THEM to fix it.

admin_old
18th Apr 2005, 18:06
Althought it's obvious that drivers are not the game coders fault nor are they responsible for it, they are responsible for gaming a stable game that is compatible with computers and that includes drivers. A game does not crash just due to bad drivers, it crashes due to game not being compatible with the driver. Now if you are a company and you release a game, you cannot expect your customers to try 5000 different drivers till they find one that matches or is close to the ones you used when you coded the game. I'm sure lots of hard work was put into this game, but the lack of support or even information on a patch is just not cool you know?

I've asked about 50 times in this forum what the news is on a patch, is it being worked on? when will it be released? I just get ignored. Hopefully people will use the CRASH INFO thread ( http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=49921 ) which you should make sticky *i don't see why you wouldnt since you asked us to post the crash info so we can all help each other and come up with a patch*

You've confirmed that you know about the sync bug issue during online play so why not address that asap and fix it? Is there a news section where the dev posts about the issues and what they are doing to fix it? Are there even people working to fix these issues? lol Just be honset man!