PDA

View Full Version : Game Crashes!! Not Playable ATI Radeon

ntblood
10th Apr 2005, 15:31
I have a radeon 9600 with the latest catalyst driver and this game keeps on crashing about 5-10 minutes into it. Win XP pro directX 9.0c I already tried unchecking "enable full screen affects" but that didn't help. When will there be a patch fixing this issue? Thank you. ntblood
------------
Others added:
ChristmasOnMars :mad:
Same here. Latest drivers, BIOS versions, blah blah blah. I've played Doom III, Half-Life 2, Chronicles of Rid****, and a dozen other recent games and NONE OF THEM CRASHED. It's not a driver problem, it's a BUG.

FIX IT.
------------
rabid_treefrog
I have to say, this must be the slowest forthcoming patch i've ever seen... Eidos needs to give us more info then "we're looking into the problems w/ radeon cards." ... When a person spends $40 on something like this they expect it to work properly, and if it's not they expect prompt repair of the problem, not open ended replies from the company that gives neither relief nor suggested timeline of a fix.

renier8
12th Apr 2005, 19:46
I have a Radeon 9800XT with the same problem. Very dissapointing.

I hope there is a fix soon.

1up

jaywalker2309
12th Apr 2005, 21:26
I have a radeon 9600 with the latest catalyst driver and this game keeps on crashing about 5-10 minutes into it. Win XP pro directX 9.0c I already tried unchecking "enable full screen affects" but that didn't help. When will there be a patch fixing this issue? Thank you. ntblood
------------
Others added:
ChristmasOnMars :mad:
Same here. Latest drivers, BIOS versions, blah blah blah. I've played Doom III, Half-Life 2, Chronicles of Rid****, and a dozen other recent games and NONE OF THEM CRASHED. It's not a driver problem, it's a BUG.

FIX IT.
------------
rabid_treefrog
I have to say, this must be the slowest forthcoming patch i've ever seen... Eidos needs to give us more info then "we're looking into the problems w/ radeon cards." ... When a person spends $40 on something like this they expect it to work properly, and if it's not they expect prompt repair of the problem, not open ended replies from the company that gives neither relief nor suggested timeline of a fix.

Have you tried the demo? it has got a fix in it for the ATI cards which would be useful to know if it helps your stability.. if that works we know we on right foot for a fix for full game

ntblood
13th Apr 2005, 05:41
Well, eidos feedback to my support request was:
#1) Uncheck "enable fullscreen effects" which I had already told them I had done.
#2) revert back to catalyst driver 5.1 or 5.2 (that would be great except I know that would mean "Republic Commando" would not work anymore I know from experience and that doesn't seem to be a good answer to something that seems to need a patch seeing many radeon users are having this trouble

#3) laptops are not supported by Snowblind because: "(laptops are not supported on the game box)... they are not considered gaming systems." Well, I disagree with this as for sometime many lines of laptops have been sold with gaming in mind as a main function. So they suggest I return the game as if anyone can return an opened game to 99% of retailers as is my case.

They made no reference to any work being done on a patch to fix this issue. It is interesting to see the previous post which suggests there is work being done to address this with a patch but I can't be sure.
Have a tested the demo, no. Should I? I can be a patch tester. Well, I might be willing to give it a go. I'll email him.

renier8
14th Apr 2005, 13:03
I was desperate to play the game. I have a 2nd machine with a Geforce 4 TI4200 in it. The very same error occurs. I play about 10-25 minutes and then the sound crashes and keeps on repeating / stuttering, and then the whole game crashed to the desktop.

So that is an Nvidia and an ATI card that crashes - both on Pentium 4 machines with 512 mb ram.

This is really a great pitty.

It raises a question: on which cards does it actually work?
Is there someone with the above mentioned cards that got it to work ?

I am just trying to find out if it is my video cards or something else that is causing the problem.

Renier

ntblood
14th Apr 2005, 13:31
I was surprised to find the other day that my driver wasn't the newest Catalyst so I loaded up the new one and now I'm having the same crash as you describe, the sound stutters then the crash.
Also, not that it matters much, but it seems the crash doesn't happen nearly as quickly if I have Checked "enable fullscreen effects" in the game setup.

ntblood
14th Apr 2005, 16:47
I got this info from a Eidos support tech.:
"Thank you for your message. I've been told Crystal Dynamics is working on a patch, but as to what exactly it will fix, I have no idea. It's possible the problem could fixed in the next ATI driver release as well."
Thought I'd share. -N

HDS
14th Apr 2005, 19:15
sam4e crashes described, no sound probs tho...

D'artanian
19th Apr 2005, 21:40
Defragg guys defrag, I crash half as many times because i defrag once ever 2 days, and I have an ATI card also. :)

Myrsnipe
22nd Apr 2005, 12:40
I run the game perfectly on my Radeon 9800 pro. I'm using the newest omega drivers btw (www.omegadrivers.net btw) although the framerates aren't quite what i expected, but maybe im just spoiled after hl2 went so good on ati cards...

But truth been told, it never crashed and i never got booted to desktop ('xcept in the first few mins where i needed to configure the game, why the hell arent there any options in game to scale the graphics. oh and just so i can vent it, why the hell cant i turn up the difficulity of the game or turn off auto aim???)

ntblood
22nd Apr 2005, 16:14
Well, I think I'll give the omega drivers a try but they are based on the catalyst 5.2 drivers (the newest driver is 5.4). I'm pretty sure that Republic Commando won't work with 5.2 but I'll give it a shot. I usually use driverheaven.net 's Dhmodtool2.2 to install the latest drivers from ATI for my laptop's video.
It's ironic because the cat. 5.2 drivers are what Eidos support suggested using as some people had reported success with them. I just wasn't interested in reverting to old drivers knowing that I'd had some trouble with the older drivers with at least one good game. But what the heck, if I have time I might give it a try even though I feel like I'm caving in and there should be a patch when there's not any sign of one soon.