PDA

View Full Version : SPYWARE is causing "emulator detected" & "failed to athenticate CD" & other CD error

QuickDraw2005
9th Apr 2005, 22:03
The source of the problem seems to be the Securom (www.Securom.com) software that Eidos installs on your system. This is copy protection software that Eidos installs here: WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe.
This is causing my " Emulator detected! Please deactivate virtual drive and emulation software." problem along with those other problems about not able to verify the CDROM. For one thing. I do not have a virtual drive or emulation software. Why is Securom looking at what software I have installed anyway? Why should I have to remove what ever software it does not like before I can play this game I paid for? It does not specify what software it does not like. Should I start removing software until I can get the game to play? Does this constitute spying? Am I being too harsh?

Info from the Readme.txt file. "
The file securom_v7_00.dat will be created, during the installation/Launching of LEGO Star Wars within your `Application Data` folder. It is necessary to enable LEGO Star Wars to run properly. The file contains your licences for all products which are SecuROM protected, therefore it will not be deleted automatically. Please do not delete the file because you might lose essential digital rights." Bla Bla Bla.

Edios, here is some trouble shooting info for you...there is no securom_v7_00.dat on my hard drive anywhere. And yes, I did search in the system folders and hidden files/folders. Is this the problem? Please fix it! Also, I expect this Securom garbage and its related files to be remove from MY PC when I this game is finished and un-installed!

Thanks

jaywalker2309
29th Apr 2005, 08:36
The source of the problem seems to be the Securom (www.Securom.com) software that Eidos installs on your system. This is copy protection software that Eidos installs here: WINDOWS\system32\UAService7.exe.
This is causing my " Emulator detected! Please deactivate virtual drive and emulation software." problem along with those other problems about not able to verify the CDROM. For one thing. I do not have a virtual drive or emulation software. Why is Securom looking at what software I have installed anyway? Why should I have to remove what ever software it does not like before I can play this game I paid for? It does not specify what software it does not like. Should I start removing software until I can get the game to play? Does this constitute spying? Am I being too harsh?

Info from the Readme.txt file. "
The file securom_v7_00.dat will be created, during the installation/Launching of LEGO Star Wars within your `Application Data` folder. It is necessary to enable LEGO Star Wars to run properly. The file contains your licences for all products which are SecuROM protected, therefore it will not be deleted automatically. Please do not delete the file because you might lose essential digital rights." Bla Bla Bla.

Edios, here is some trouble shooting info for you...there is no securom_v7_00.dat on my hard drive anywhere. And yes, I did search in the system folders and hidden files/folders. Is this the problem? Please fix it! Also, I expect this Securom garbage and its related files to be remove from MY PC when I this game is finished and un-installed!

Thanks

You are right, Securom_v7_00.dat doesnt exist, because after we'd signed off the documention we mastered the title and the protection had moved onto version Securom_v7_01.dat

If you are getting an emulator error it could because of a few reasons

1) your cd rom drive is struggling to read the disc properly so gives this error
2) you are not using the cd in the drive but some emulator software off an image you made yourself.

Either way there is a way to check this, right click on the game exe in the folder, select launch analysis, this will create a diagnostic file for your game. it will be saved into root of your C drive. Zip this up (must be zipped) and email it to discanalysis@eidos.co.uk making sure you mention which game and where you bought it. Will check the file and will hopefully be able to fix it for you

-Jason