PDA

View Full Version : Why do we accept faulty software? Demand your money back.

ChristmasOnMars
8th Apr 2005, 18:52
When you buy a vacuum cleaner, you expect it to suck up dirt. If it sucked up some dirt but not other dirt, you'd return it for one that works. You wouldn't be satisfied with the manufacturer telling you, "oh, that's a known issue, we're working on a new dirt-sucker engine that should be out in a few weeks."

When you buy a car, you expect it to run. If it stalled as you were pulling out of the dealership, you'd enact the lemon law. You wouldn't be satisfied with the salesperson telling you, "Oh, the engine needs a gasket upgrade that's in the works...we'll let you know when it's available."

Why, then, do consumers accept the fact that many companies sell them software THAT DOESN'T WORK, and then the publisher tells them "oh, we're working on a patch that should be out soon." That's a bunch of crap. Snowblind, to cite one example, is obviously crashing on a wide variety of systems. It WASN'T TESTED PROPERLY. This SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

If you experience crashes, return your copy to the store. Demand your money back. It's a defective product. Speak with your wallet, it's the only way the big software companies will hear you. Don't accept faulty products...be they vacuum cleaners, cars, or PC games.

DXman
8th Apr 2005, 19:27
most stores do not accept refund for video games in my area. only exchanges. so that basically sucks but i havent experienced any crashes with this game yet. hopefully wont experience any at all.

admin_old
12th Apr 2005, 16:19
No stores will take back any opened game ever. It's not because they don't want to it's because of copyright laws that state once a customer has opened the software/game box he/she cannot return it for a refund and/or another game/software because for all we know they could of made a copy of the game, took the serial and returned it. Which is 100% true and makes a lot of sense ( I work as a computers sales rep and tech @ Staples part time )

So based on the LAW the stores cannot take it back and refund money, maybe some do and they obviously do not know what they are doing because it's illegal for them to take opened software/games back. That's why there's a thing called DEMO's which are released to the public also. This allows you to play a short part of the game and see how things work before you make a purchase.

Be it that some demo's might work just fine while the full version game might crash but that's just how games/software works and not much can be done about it. In the old days companies would leave bugs and issues in software and games in there on purpose so they can then release a newer version that fixes does bugs and make people pay for it "so they can make more money" (cough microsoft cough)

Cheerio!

Cell9song
12th Apr 2005, 16:36
No stores will take back any opened game ever. It's not because they don't want to it's because of copyright laws that state once a customer has opened the software/game box he/she cannot return it for a refund and/or another game/software because for all we know they could of made a copy of the game, took the serial and returned it. Which is 100% true and makes a lot of sense ( I work as a computers sales rep and tech @ Staples part time )

So based on the LAW the stores cannot take it back and refund money, maybe some do and they obviously do not know what they are doing because it's illegal for them to take opened software/games back. That's why there's a thing called DEMO's which are released to the public also. This allows you to play a short part of the game and see how things work before you make a purchase.

Be it that some demo's might work just fine while the full version game might crash but that's just how games/software works and not much can be done about it. In the old days companies would leave bugs and issues in software and games in there on purpose so they can then release a newer version that fixes does bugs and make people pay for it "so they can make more money" (cough microsoft cough)

Cheerio!

Not sure what state you're in but in Rhode Island there is no law, copyright or other, that prevents stores from refunding ones cash for any reason on software (theres also pressure from the publisher to not accept returns). If that were the case stores like EB wouldn't be able to buy back used games. I'm pretty sure its just a general policy most stores have simply because taking back software would encourage a minority to copy the games and serial codes and return them. I beleive EB allowed returns up until the year 2000 when they stopped because so many were doing exactly this. This minority screwed it up for everyone (just like everything else in life, its always a small percentage that does 99% of the damage). I can't blame the retail outlets but I sure don't have to like it.

admin_old
12th Apr 2005, 18:10
I'm not in a state I live in vancouver,bc,canada.

And they take the games back for tops $8 and resell it later on for $15 and still make profit. I don't know about EB but i know in Staples we cannot take games back because copyright laws for our store state that once a game is or software has been opened there's NO RETURN on it, just exchange for the same title if yours if faulty. Same goes to BEST BUY and FUTURESHOP.

So if you wish to spend $40 on a game and sell it to EB for $8 then go head that's your problem lol i've never seen any major store take back an opened game or software because they know better. Maybe you were dealin with idiots that had no clue :)

Cheerio!