PDA

View Full Version : So whose going to buy the game now?

Guevara
8th Apr 2005, 06:26
I guess ill wait, and see what ppl have to say. For now its a definate NO when yesterday it was a for sure YES. I just read all the things that SHOULD be in a game that takes place in the Napoleonic era. With no stand ground option and that terrible AI and NO Freindly fire. I dont want to buy this game and uninstall it a month later like i did with RTW. Rather i want a MTW that i STILL play... SOunds like a nice game, but .... eh :mad:

Lindkvist
8th Apr 2005, 06:44
I'll wait and see if they will implement the thing we want first. If not there is always an alternative and I'm not talking Cossacks II nor NTW2. ;)

/Lars L.

Guevara
8th Apr 2005, 06:47
NTW2?wuts that? and whats the other alternative?

Lindkvist
8th Apr 2005, 06:54
NTW2 is the Napoleonic mod of RTW (just started what I know).

The other alternative I have to wait to tell you since the graphics is not ready to be showed just yet. I'll post some screnshots and video around mid April. ;)

/Lars L.

Czar
8th Apr 2005, 07:03
http://www.histwar.com/index_en.php

Eh Lars?

And Lindkvist, what have you done or been involved with before?
I know I know your name from somewhere... just cannot think where. :confused:

Spaghetti Hoops
8th Apr 2005, 08:55
After the disapointment of the demo its going to take some pretty impresive reviews for me to part with my hard earned cash.Im just going to wait for NTW2.

Lindkvist
8th Apr 2005, 11:03
http://www.histwar.com/index_en.php

Eh Lars?

People tend judge games after the graphics only so let me come back with that. I made that mistake myself when I saw Imperial Glory, then I realized that gameplay is far more important.

And Lindkvist, what have you done or been involved with before?
I know I know your name from somewhere... just cannot think where. :confused:

It might be from the Breakawaysgames forum. ;)

/Lars L.

andytimtim
8th Apr 2005, 11:05
I will end up buying this game, however if nothing is change eg. hold buttons etc, then ill wait till the price drops.

firestarter
8th Apr 2005, 12:55
I'm going to buy it. I think people have taken it too far. It's a good game, and all the features people keep complaining about, half of them can't be implemented successfully, and the other half would make the game delay till the end of the year.

mob
8th Apr 2005, 16:18
but at the end of the year they would have a game you would expect by now so lol there would be demand for more lol

Czar
8th Apr 2005, 16:27
..., half of them can't be implemented successfully,
Probably true... no arguement with that except Pyro did promise many of these things...

and the other half would make the game delay till the end of the year.

SO?
If delayed until the end of the year we might see a game that we would play for another year and then see successful expansion packs and maybe even IG2. People could still be saying "I'm going to go back and play some more IG!" years from now. (M:TW anyone?)
If released now we see a good concept in a poor game that is uninstalled in a month and dies completely only to have it's name invoked when someone on a forum says "At least it's not IG..."

Damn the release date. I want a game I can never bring myself to uninstall :D

LondonCalling
8th Apr 2005, 17:10
NTW:2 will be limited, our best bet is to have our own community modify Imperial Glory, I think. Or better yet, the developers can stick, and patch their product. Wow, wouldn't that be a shock?

Psycho Pigeon
8th Apr 2005, 18:22
I'll probably buy it asoon as it comes out :).

sqall
8th Apr 2005, 18:42
Same here, not long only about 20 days :)

StonedRaider
8th Apr 2005, 19:22
ill buy the game, but i dunno, people seem to be saying stuff on forums thats making me think otherwise. i think they should have specific battles, like battle for waterloo (i hope theres stuff like that). i dunno

sqall
8th Apr 2005, 19:39
I think theres historical battles on there, if so then waterloo would most likely be there.

Spaghetti Hoops
8th Apr 2005, 19:59
I think theres historical battles on there, if so then waterloo would most likely be there.
Not with 1600 units your not! :D .This game would struggle to reproduce the 'skirmish' at Quatre Bras (sp?). :p

HellAngel_666
8th Apr 2005, 20:01
you call that a SKERMISH!!!! :confused: lol

Poniatowski
8th Apr 2005, 21:17
Played the demo :( . Despite promising graphics etc was unimpressed tactically (as posted by many people).

I had a choice between this and "Civil War: The Battle of Bull Run" - yes I know a different period etc.

Well I just received "Bull Run" today - had to import from the states. Must say it's the best £20 pounds I spent (that includes postage to uk) :D . May not have the graphical quality of IG :rolleyes: but watching my brigade march in column down a road brought a grin to my face :D . This is going to burn the midnight oil.

Maybe IG2 will be better :rolleyes: . I'll keep an eye out for it next year.

When IG hits the bargain bins I might be tempted - after a liquid lunch.

To those of you that like this level of wargaming :rolleyes: I hope you have many happy hours playing IG.

Sveland
8th Apr 2005, 22:30
i aint buyin this game unless they put in half of the stuff we are demanding. Friendly fire, stand ground, custom formations, marching in order without getting mixed lines, not having to have your whole damn regiment turn around to fire ARE MUSTS.

sick
8th Apr 2005, 22:39
No way I'm going to buy this game! Instead, I will get is as a birthday present. (= next month) :D

Cro_Knight
9th Apr 2005, 01:07
my birthday lol is in about two weeks so i to will be getting it for a gift lol love presents AND CAKE

HellAngel_666
9th Apr 2005, 01:53
lol mine is in two weeks to! and i just told my family today NOT to buy it. (i was going to before but they nevermentioned it till today which i said wait till more info comes out about what it REALLY offers (ie reviews).

Villaret-Joyeuse
9th Apr 2005, 05:25
Unless they resolve many of the MAJOR problems, then no. :(

cutter3377
9th Apr 2005, 06:32
im gonna buy this game as soon as it comes out and i think that it will be worth every cent.I cant believe people are so quick to judge it when theyve only played a couple of land battles ,but the actual game has a lot more to it than that such as the naval battles and the strategic map and diplomacy etc.I think the problem is that were too used to the total war series of games ,which by the way are awesome,and because this one has some slightly different controls etc ,people are complaining but you gotta remember this is not 1800's total war this is imperial glory.Im sure that this one will have things that the total war series doesnt have such has the ability to garrison units in buildings which is cool and discovered accidentally on the demo.By the way i got civil war bull run and thought it to be extremely boring as all your doin is sitting there watching your troops march and youve only got control of a few companies .It should be called civil war ,bull sh%$$ not bull run.

andytimtim
9th Apr 2005, 12:04
No way I'm going to buy this game! Instead, I will get is as a birthday present. (= next month) :D

hehe i know what you mean, i could've got this game for my birthday too...but thus it comes out a little later than my birthday/ :(

firestarter
9th Apr 2005, 13:10
"im gonna buy this game as soon as it comes out and i think that it will be worth every cent.I cant believe people are so quick to judge it when theyve only played a couple of land battles ,but the actual game has a lot more to it than that such as the naval battles and the strategic map and diplomacy etc.I think the problem is that were too used to the total war series of games ,which by the way are awesome,and because this one has some slightly different controls etc ,people are complaining but you gotta remember this is not 1800's total war this is imperial glory"

Exactly my thoughts. Fighting a couple of battles is not a true representation of a game. Sure, some of you might not like the game tactically, but I had fun playing it, and the diplomacy anf the naval battles and things like that will make me enjoy this game further.

langmann
9th Apr 2005, 14:31
"im gonna buy this game as soon as it comes out and i think that it will be worth every cent.I cant believe people are so quick to judge it when theyve only played a couple of land battles ,but the actual game has a lot more to it than that such as the naval battles and the strategic map and diplomacy etc.I think the problem is that were too used to the total war series of games ,which by the way are awesome,and because this one has some slightly different controls etc ,people are complaining but you gotta remember this is not 1800's total war this is imperial glory"

Exactly my thoughts. Fighting a couple of battles is not a true representation of a game. Sure, some of you might not like the game tactically, but I had fun playing it, and the diplomacy anf the naval battles and things like that will make me enjoy this game further.

Its not the controls most of us are complaining about (proves how much people pay attention to people other than themselves.)

What we're complaining about is the sheer lack of realism. We're not expecting a 10/10 here but this game is perhaps a 2/10.

We'd like to see:

-units with morale that actually run away from a scrap instead of just fighting to death - you know part of what made a general great at the time was being able to rally his troops and inspire their confidence. Very few units actually fought to the death.
-skirmishing - that is what the rifles actually did they hardly ever fought in a line because they were too slow for that.
-infantry squares that look like squares and infantry that will actually charge a square because infantry could do that.

And so on, there is a huge list some people have put out. I won't reproduce it here b/c its probably a waste of time.

Will I buy this game? NOT at $50. Will I waste a birthday present on it? NO.

I'll buy it when its at 20 bucks which shouldn't take long for it to get to.

Cathal
9th Apr 2005, 14:56
I'll buy it when its at 20 bucks which shouldn't take long for it to get to.

:D Yea, it definately won't take long for that, but, even then, I probably won't buy it.

cutter3377
9th Apr 2005, 14:58
I know what youre saying about the realism but at the end of the day its just a game and whats important is to have fun playing it .Myself personally i hate the moral issue cause although in real life this was the case but it annoys me in a game when i order units to do something or attack someone and then i see them running away like little wimps.THis in fact is one of the things i disliked about mtw cause as soon as infantry saw cavalry running charging them they would run away.By the way i keep seeing lol in peoples messages and was just wondering what it means?

Spaghetti Hoops
9th Apr 2005, 19:19
Lol =Laugh out loud
IIRC =If I remember correctly (you'll see a lot of this also ;) )

andytimtim
9th Apr 2005, 20:14
AFAIK = As far as i know.

IMHO = In my honest opinion.

:)

sick
9th Apr 2005, 20:35
http://www.acronymfinder.com

:)

cutter3377
10th Apr 2005, 02:13
thanks guys .Im sort of new to all this computer lingo but its good to see that online people help each other out .

Von Reisswitz
10th Apr 2005, 14:54
Somewhat concerned by the developers choice of unit descriptions.

For a game that claims to rest upon the advice of historians I'd have expected something else.

From what I have read in here I would hesitate to buy this game - well, for full price anyway - there's always the unhappy purchaser looking to off-load on ebay.

Of course, my 25 years of active tabletop wargaming with miniatures and shelves stuffed with napoleonic history books and wargame rules might mean that my expectations are too high.

VKC_Lord_Drakul
10th Apr 2005, 15:34
I'll be buying it, along with my colleagues in the VKC. :)

It plays great and as far as we can see, it's fun. Which is what gaming's all about. If you want 100% accuracy, go join a reenactment society. Otherwise, let yourself enjoy it.

andytimtim
10th Apr 2005, 19:05
go join a reenactment society. Otherwise, let yourself enjoy it.

Ive been part of a reenactment society (ww1), left about a year back but the was the best fun ive every had! :D

ultaman
11th Apr 2005, 12:47
I will not be buying the game

I want a feel of a battle not a skirmish..

I will wait.. maybe reviews/price drop will change my mind :eek:

However I will be buying this Friday Cossacks 2 :)

eddiemac0
11th Apr 2005, 14:23
Will buy if a hold-ground function/scripting is implemented... its too hard to coordinate without one. How else am I supposed to stop an advance if me troops reshuffle all the time before shooting... the enemy is getting two volleys to my one...

BANANAMAN
11th Apr 2005, 14:39
Will buy if a hold-ground function/scripting is implemented... its too hard to coordinate without one. How else am I supposed to stop an advance if me troops reshuffle all the time before shooting... the enemy is getting two volleys to my one...

I second that eddiemac0!

And Pyrostudios should also implement the pause & giving orders during pause option. Then we can talk about buying Imperial Glory. :D

ToXS
11th Apr 2005, 14:54
Anyway I have descided to go this year to the reenactment of the battle of Waterloo in Brussels.

Should be fun. Now i hope they will hae those stalls there selling all sorts of stuff, and i am sure there I will find an honest opinion about the game.

Yeah som of you might say, its cheaper buying the game, but I can buy it, see a real British Infantry Square, a boom of a 30 pounder, a volley of muskets fire.

Come to think of it I just might buy IG to blow it out of a 30 pounder :cool:

Lindkvist
16th Apr 2005, 07:41
Anyway I have descided to go this year to the reenactment of the battle of Waterloo in Brussels.

Should be fun. Now i hope they will hae those stalls there selling all sorts of stuff, and i am sure there I will find an honest opinion about the game.

Yeah som of you might say, its cheaper buying the game, but I can buy it, see a real British Infantry Square, a boom of a 30 pounder, a volley of muskets fire.

Come to think of it I just might buy IG to blow it out of a 30 pounder :cool:

Why not go to Austerlitz instead? It will be the 200th anniversary in December. ;)

I have been at Waterloo (2001) and there are some shops around the info centre (near the lion hill) where you can buy a lot of Napoleonic stuff. No games though.

/Lars L.

Dragoneer1
18th Apr 2005, 19:15
im going to buy the game because i love The napoleonic wars and i really dont care what the complainers on the forum thinks, cause its gonna be a great game which will be my substitute to rome tw (which by the way has far worse grafics)

By the way some of these things u guys are demanding are just plain stupid such as ff, it would make it impossible to play and extremely anyoing THIS ISNT RTW where archers shoot over the soldiers, and things as soldiers names square formation and uniforms can be modded and easily downloaded from fan pages

Irish2
18th Apr 2005, 19:26
I'm buying the game for sure. I have faith that modders will be able to fix most problems. I have been visiting the Cossack II forum and it seems that the global strategy portion of the game leaves alot to be desired. Also there are many lag issues with the battles. I had no trouble at all with this demo. My only complaint is that the battles go a little qucik for my liking. I a much looking forward to the strategic portion of IG. I hope they do a fine job implementing it.

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 22:24
ill be buying it.

i wasnt interested in this game in the slightest before i tried the demo. i love rts games, but i generally have no interest in combat of that era. i love the graphics, the fluidity, the audio, and the gameplay.

i cant stop replaying the demo, and im sure the full version will have the same effect on me aswell. though it would be nice to have a stand ground option.

has anyone tried the "auto" toggle button? i cant figure out what it does.

Khornish
18th Apr 2005, 22:50
Of course, my 25 years of active tabletop wargaming with miniatures and shelves stuffed with napoleonic history books and wargame rules might mean that my expectations are too high.

Now if only you lived in southern Wisconsin, I'd have someone to play against. As entertaining as computer games can be, there's nothing like pushing lead.

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 23:06
Now if only you lived in southern Wisconsin, I'd have someone to play against. As entertaining as computer games can be, there's nothing like pushing lead.

where in wisconsin? im in eau claire for college, but i live in la crosse during summer/winter break.

Spaghetti Hoops
18th Apr 2005, 23:13
I'll be buying it, along with my colleagues in the VKC. :)

It plays great and as far as we can see, it's fun. Which is what gaming's all about. If you want 100% accuracy, go join a reenactment society. Otherwise, let yourself enjoy it.
If that were the case we'd all be playing C+C!(And what a great game that is..pfft!)Believe it or not games with historical accuracy can be fun too! You know what they say...you cant polish a turd.

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 23:19
If that were the case we'd all be playing C+C!(And what a great game that is..pfft!)Believe it or not games with historical accuracy can be fun too! You know what they say...you cant polish a turd.

the rather large CnC fanbase would suggest that it is indeed, a fun series without having any sort of accuracy.

HellAngel_666
18th Apr 2005, 23:21
LOL rofl.... that's too much... wheres wisconsin.... you just won my loser of the week award! how do you feel? HAHAHA my god your something else..... (continues laugh while rof) lol

hoops. no your right and this has to be the BIGGEST FREAKING TURD I'V EVER SEEN! lol no hope imho...

Irish2
18th Apr 2005, 23:40
Hell Angel, whipe the egg off your face...He said where in Wisconsin, not Where's Wisconsin.

BaronVonSnakPak
18th Apr 2005, 23:54
LOL rofl.... that's too much... wheres wisconsin.... you just won my loser of the week award! how do you feel? HAHAHA my god your something else..... (continues laugh while rof) lol

hoops. no your right and this has to be the BIGGEST FREAKING TURD I'V EVER SEEN! lol no hope imho...

i said, "where IN wisconsin" and proceeded to list 2 cities in the state, where i live.

HellAngel_666
19th Apr 2005, 00:00
sorry man i guess that mean i won my own award. :o :D lol man for a minute there i really started to think... (how old is this kid...) sorry about that.

man i'm still laughing....

Khornish
19th Apr 2005, 07:41
where in wisconsin? im in eau claire for college, but i live in la crosse during summer/winter break.

I live about 1 hour north of Madison. All my historicals are packed away or sold off tho.. had to do it when my 5 sons all decided my toys were their toys.

However, I'm slowly building a 6mm ECW army and will move on to 6mm Napoleonics when I have the necessary budgeting allocation.

I've done 15mm and 25mm historicals in the past, but I am really liking the 6mm as they have a better look for the units. There's a darn good game store in Madison tho, the Last Square, in case you didn't know about em.

BFawlty
19th Apr 2005, 14:38
Played the demo :( . Despite promising graphics etc was unimpressed tactically (as posted by many people).

I had a choice between this and "Civil War: The Battle of Bull Run" - yes I know a different period etc.

Well I just received "Bull Run" today - had to import from the states. Must say it's the best £20 pounds I spent (that includes postage to uk) :D . May not have the graphical quality of IG :rolleyes: but watching my brigade march in column down a road brought a grin to my face :D . This is going to burn the midnight oil.

Maybe IG2 will be better :rolleyes: . I'll keep an eye out for it next year.

When IG hits the bargain bins I might be tempted - after a liquid lunch.

To those of you that like this level of wargaming :rolleyes: I hope you have many happy hours playing IG.

I ran across Bull Run just recently, is a good game. I agree the graphics aren't up to snuff, but find the gameplay to be good.

BF

Poniatowski
19th Apr 2005, 18:04
Yup. I'm really enjoying it.

At the moment I'm still working on the Brigade scenarios, trying to get that Division Commander promotion!

Did a couple of open plays. I like the fact you can send messages to your superior officer asking for further instructions - even though you don't have many message choices.

Still, they've laid some solid foundations for future releases. :)

Shame IG doesn't fill my wargaming needs, but I'm sure many others will enjoy it.

black_fish
20th Apr 2005, 10:38
Definetely won't buy IG!

But this Bull Run game sounds cool.

BANANAMAN
20th Apr 2005, 10:40
(Imperial Glory) It's FUN, so I will buy it. :D

quantic
20th Apr 2005, 15:55
Imperial Glory already no.15 in the pc chart on amazon UK. Will be a resounding success and I am sure a very very good game. Can't wait for mine to arrive.