PDA

View Full Version : So what other "Historical" wargames do you play?

andytimtim
7th Apr 2005, 18:33
Besides some of the obvious games such as RTW and...eh...actually i can't think of any more popular ones! :o Which are your favourites?

Mines would have to be HoI2, Victoria and War in the Pacific.

War in the Pacific is by far the best wargame I've played, turn based. I've had it since November and I'm only into August 1942 :eek:

So which games to you perfer to play?

Sveland
7th Apr 2005, 23:22
Eu2, Victoria, Crusader Kings, RTW, and maybe IG if they put in at least half the stuff we're demanding.

edit: i wasnt aware HOI2 was out, when was it released?

=95th= Royal Dragoon
8th Apr 2005, 00:51
Anything War is good for me

andytimtim
8th Apr 2005, 11:08
edit: i wasnt aware HOI2 was out, when was it released?

lol

HoI2 was released in January. :p

GenFerriman
14th Apr 2005, 15:29
I have played 10's of Strategy Games. The Strategy games i've played recently are LOTR Battle For Middle-Earth, RTW, Civ3, Age of Empires II, Empire Earth I and II, Imperial Glory the Demo and Victoria.

Anyone who wants to play Victoria over the net please give me a shout i fancy a game of that and none of my friends play it.

Cheers,

=95th=Greenjacket
27th Apr 2005, 22:48
i have played all of them and more ecpt victoria. my fav r RTW, civ3, IG (even tho its only a demo) and shogun TW, i cant wait for AOE3 and IG to come out!

Mr_Fossy
12th May 2005, 05:25
Was a big fan of AOE 1 and 2, look forward to 3.
Only other real historic thing I play is a half life 1 mod based on the American Revolution www.bgmod.com.

Rifleman Hagman
16th May 2005, 21:42
Hi new user RTW what an awesome game Regards

bucephalus12
22nd May 2005, 02:04
In the past 6 months or so:

The game I had been playing most until Imperial Glory was Silent Hunter III. In my opinion, it is by far the best submarine/naval simulation to date. The game is completely engrossing.

I bought Hearts of Iron 2 but I haven't had a chance to play it past the tutorial yet. I also picked up Victoria for $1.50 US the day before Imperial Glory was released but haven't got into it yet.

I've been playing a bit of Cossacks II. I like Spartan by Slitherine Software. I played Rome Total War for about 3 weeks before it got boring. Children of the Nile is a cool historical city builder.

Feeling inspired by Imperial Glory, I got out and dusted off the old copy of Waterloo, Napoleon's Last Battle and am contemplating getting into it again.

On the lighter side; Psychonauts is a great game. Very original and entertaining. I highly recommend it to any gamer tired of the same old same old.

revolution74
25th May 2005, 10:28
Total war series, from Shogun to Rome;
Europa universalis 2;
Cossacks and American Conquest;
Imperial glory (waiting for the patch!!!);
I'm very interesting on 17th-18th history...there are some others game (turns based, not RTS)

emoxcore
25th May 2005, 14:35
total war games
crusader kings
europa universalis
hearts of iron 2
civ3?

basically all paradox and creative assembly titles =P

imported_mike_g
26th May 2005, 00:08
When I'm not here at work, I've been known to play Strategic Command, played most of the Close Combat series, and Europe in Flames. :)

John Carter
27th May 2005, 13:48
Own or have played:

Rome Total War
Strategic Command
Hearts of Iron II
World in Flames
All the old Panzer General games
Praetorians
AOE II, CIV 1-3
MOO 1 & 2
Blitzkrieg
Used to play paper board games, and still have over 25 of the old Avalon Hill games in storage.

Imperial Glory and Empire Earth II are patiently waiting for me to get around to defrag my HD and load them.

bucephalus12
27th May 2005, 14:34
On a whim I picked up the new "American Civil War Gettysburg" by Talonsoft the other day. It's turn based but the graphics are very good. So far I've played a handful of skirmish battles and it seems a bit easy but the game is fun.

imperialist274
27th May 2005, 20:45
Hearts of Iron II (of course ;) )
Total Wars series (all)
couple others I can't remember,

Oh, and of course Imperial Glory :D

Captain.Crunch
28th May 2005, 00:17
VIETCONG

excellent game recommend it if you have not played it :o

www.vietcong-game.com

pad11
28th May 2005, 01:15
Knights of Honor, absolutely fantastic.

And Stronghold 2 has perhaps the best map editor ever.

later,
pat!

Broadside
28th May 2005, 16:07
TW series
Stronghold series
Castle Strike
Silent Hunter 3
Joan of Arc (RPG)

GenMoore
28th May 2005, 19:41
:D :D :eek:

Picotrain
29th May 2005, 00:16
Knights of Honor is great, everyone should at least try the demo. I also like Rise of Nations and Europa Universalis II.

pad11
29th May 2005, 13:25
TW series
Stronghold series
Castle Strike
Silent Hunter 3
Joan of Arc (RPG)

Broadside...I bought Castle Strike but could never 'get going' in it...It did seem like I was going to like it....how long did you play it to really get enjoyment out of it? I do so want to like it....It's sitting on my game shelf and every time I look at the box, I'm like...'come on, you KNOW you want to like that game!"

It's like Pax Romana...Man, I just could never get past that terrible interface but I know there's an awesome game under there!

later,
pat!

GbdiasBR
29th May 2005, 20:19
To those who realy like Strategy you should try out Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory to those of you who have plaid Waterloo: Napoleons last battle its its equal but with much better grapichs gameplay, interface & command structure its for HARDCORE strategists only not much people play it tought but theres always a loyal crew playing fridays and saturday's nights on GSA check it out: http://www.breakawaygames.com/titles/austerlitz/ .

Bansheemaster
30th May 2005, 19:40
I'm running:

Rome total war
Medieval total war
Hearts of iron II
Europa univesalis II
Silent hunter III
Full spectrum warrior (a unknown beaty)
Combat flight sim III
IL2
Civ III
Lock-on

Sooo many, sooo little time

Grubnessul
31st May 2005, 15:41
Imperialism II (a kinda old game but I still like it... & still never won on hard :S)
Europe Universalis II though less since I have the feeling Im to much controlled by the historical evenments
Lords of the Realm II used to be a favorite of me but it doesn't run anymore on my comp for some reason :S
and ofcourse oter RTS like AoEII & star/warcraft

Coax74
31st May 2005, 16:46
Medieval Total War and Viking Invasion
Hearts of Iron
Superpower
Panzer General series (these are still my faves)
Imperial Glory
Close Combat series (my 2nd favorite barring the new lame Marine Corps FPS which has nothing to do with the original Close Combat, but is ripping off the name anyway)

vortexdr1
31st May 2005, 19:18
loadss but i suppose best ones would be Combat Mission series, Total War series and most Matixgames wargames( War in the Pacific etc etc).

Then again its a insult to wargames to consider Total war or Imperial Glory as wargames but yeah.

Destraex
1st Jun 2005, 02:15
il2: pacific fighters
Rome total War
Silent hunter3
warhammer dawn of war
Cossacks2
close combat 1-5 one of my favorites
operation flashpoint - one of the best ever games
lock on
swat4
homeworld2 - star wars mod is awesome

Ryoken
1st Jun 2005, 21:46
Europa Universalis II is hands down, no contest, end of story the greatest multiplayer strategy game ever made (if you dont consider REAL-LIFE WARFARE a game). There is simply no competition.

1. 8-12 players (support for up to 24, but need a LAN to keep in sync) playing for several months just to complete a SINGLE GAME.

2. ICQ and Forums make is truly the best diplomacy simulator ever. ICQ negotiations all week just in anticipation of the 4-5 hour session and constant forum discussion.

3. Simple system with enough complexity to make it a never-ending learning process.

4. Almost completely moddable; from scenario design, unit graphics, even down to combat mathematics and maps. Amazing!

Still a huge forum after FIVE YEARS!

Need I say more?

cwr737
2nd Jun 2005, 17:05
Get my ass kicked would be more like it...

Bull Run: Really enjoying this game - I find it very challenging. Boy, you have to watch your morale though, because the minute you turn your back in a hot fight, your boys might be skedaddling back to whence they came.

War in the Pacific: Still trying to master the control interface. My CAP never seems to be in the right place when the enemy dive bombers and torpedo planes come a calling. Those IJN CVs are like the sherman tanks of the naval world - light up on the first try, every time...

Codename Panzers - fun despite the corny voice-overs. Reall like the graphics and the intense house-to-house in the cities.

IL2 and all its variations - I am a flight sim guy at heart, and for most of the year have spent most of my playing time in the skies with IL2/Pac Fighters (love the carriers) and FS9 COF. I am a fairly accomplished civil pilot in FS9 - but still have a lot to learn about combat in the skies. I still get a big kick out of flying the pattern though, on the CVLs in Pacific Fighters, esp. in a rough sea. Worth the price of the program just to have that experience.

Privateer's Bounty - when I want a quick naval battle from the era of the Patrick Obrien Aubrey/Maturin books.

See, the problem is obvious. Too many games, too little time to ever get good at them....

bloodraven
2nd Jun 2005, 19:52
IG
RTW
MTW
STS
IL2 (Sim)
Pacific Fighters (Sim)
Silent Hunter III (Sim)
Combat Mission I and II

IMHO the Combat Mission games are some of the best WWII games around. They are not a turn based nor real time. They are a plan out each minute hit play and see what happens. You cannot change anything during that 1 minutes play time. Not to mention the random battle's give endless replay value.