PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to the new Lara -- from an old fan

Bullet ridden monkey
6th Apr 2005, 06:09
Some of you may or may not remember me, but if not, whatever. I'm old, I've been around for a while, that's all ya gotta know.

I started playing Tomb Raider at the age of 11, with a simple demo of Tomb Raider 3. When I first played the game, I was in awe of the environment I found myself in. With that, I picked up the full version and soon began my journey into becoming a Tomb Raider fan.

I'm 18 now, and Tomb Raider still holds a place in my heart. It's strange to say this, but I've played many games, and none come close to the affection I have for this series. It was, in essence, my first real game, and the sense of wonderment that TR3 gave me remains unmatched to this day.

I've seen the Tomb Raider series take many turns, from the good (Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation) to the not so good (Lara Croft: Tomb Raider) to the ugly (Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness). Throughout it all though, I've religiously followed Lara on all her quests. But then I grew distant, I felt alienated, so I left to go discover other games.

Now I'm back with the news of Tomb Raider: Legend. I have to say, I'm very excited. What kept drawing me back to the game was the promise of new adventure. For me, it was never about finding out the background of the character of Lara, it was about running from boulders in thick jungles, shooting crocodiles, swimming in tropical caves, and solving ancient puzzles. From what I've seen so far of the new Lara, she has abandoned her film-noir attempts at a soap opera in favor of going back to her routes -- an adventurer.

When I first played that demo of the Coastal Village level from Tomb Raider 3, I felt like I was really there. That I was an adventurer, escaping traps and solving puzzles. It was incredibly thrilling, and no other game has provided me with that feeling since. If it were up to me, I'd erase my memory of those first few moments in order to re-live them and feel the experience again. Now, after seeing Lara back in her trademark tank-top, boots, and hot-pants, I have that sensation creeping back. THIS is what Tomb Raider is about. Tombs. Raiding. Adventure.

I'm excited to see the developments made on the game. Especially with the knowledge that one of the original creators, Toby Gard, oversaw production for a while. He, more than anyone, knows what the series was originally intended to be. From what I've seen so far, things look positive, and Lara might be back kicking ass in her old way very soon.

Inside of me, that 11 year old is grinning with joy at the promise of a new exotic adventure.

I can't wait.

--BRM

GoranAgar
6th Apr 2005, 08:42
Welcome back, 'old man'. :D

Solange
6th Apr 2005, 09:20
Hello and welcome back! :)

You have a PM in your inbox! ;)

RaidR_84
6th Apr 2005, 14:31
I totally agree with you. I was 13 when tomb raider was released, and now I am 20. Tomb Raider was the first game that made me buy a PlayStation, and it blew my mind totally.

I, however, still would like to see Lara in some kind of city setting...I dont know, the idea of Lara-Splinter Cell kinda makes me a little giddy inside. Maybe i just like cities. lol. AOD was executed poorly, but I firmly believe if they cut down on story, improved the actual gameplay and made it much more darker and mysterious, it would have been a great game. Alas, however, AOD is now a idea of the past, an unfinished idea.

Now, Tomb Raider Legend shall take the stage. Will Lara return to her roots? Will it include diverse settings?

I firmly remember playing Tomb Raider and the thing that excited me was the ability to globe hop all around the world. One minute, you were in Asia, the next, Nevada.

That made me extremely happy :-)

EddyBones
6th Apr 2005, 16:37
I'm sailing on the same ship as you, BRM. I remember seeing the TR games when I was about 11. My brother and his friend were playing TR3 one day and I knew that I had to play it too. Sadly my mother wouldn't let me play T rated games until a few years later for some reason. :mad: (Couldn't play M rated games (at home) till about a year ago :mad: )

Anyhow, I'm so excited too! I'm willing to be they even put her house back into the game.

Deekman
6th Apr 2005, 16:54
Good to see you back!
In your absence, many things have transpired, not the least of which has been Solange's monumental efforts to compile all the entries from all the old Graphics Challenges into one place.
If you can track down any of your old entries, we'd all be much obliged.
More on this project HERE (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=45925&highlight=graphics) in the Community Forum.
HERE's (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=20783) the link to the Graphics Challenge Archives.

dhama
6th Apr 2005, 17:20
Hello mate always nice to see old faces again, I hope you're using all your creative talents to their limit. Now that your back, does this mean we might be able to squeeze another custom level out of you?

If you are interested in building again, most custom level builders all meet at a neutral forum that Staticon and I started a couple of months ago. We have 32 members and most of them you might know from the past... yes.. they're all still at it, slaving away at the level editor. Just builders there, no players.

:cool:

Solange
6th Apr 2005, 19:33
In your absence, many things have transpired, not the least of which has been Solange's monumental efforts to compile all the entries from all the old Graphics Challenges into one place.
If you can track down any of your old entries, we'd all be much obliged.
More on this project HERE (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=45925&highlight=graphics) in the Community Forum.
HERE's (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=20783) the link to the Graphics Challenge Archives.
And that is what the PM is about! :D

L Croft
6th Apr 2005, 22:07
Welcome back BRM and yes I do remember you, you probably don't remember me though :D

Trinity34
6th Apr 2005, 23:05
Now I'm back with the news of Tomb Raider: Legend. I have to say, I'm very excited. What kept drawing me back to the game was the promise of new adventure. For me, it was never about finding out the background of the character of Lara, it was about running from boulders in thick jungles, shooting crocodiles, swimming in tropical caves, and solving ancient puzzles. From what I've seen so far of the new Lara, she has abandoned her film-noir attempts at a soap opera in favor of going back to her routes -- an adventurer.

When I first played that demo of the Coastal Village level from Tomb Raider 3, I felt like I was really there. That I was an adventurer, escaping traps and solving puzzles. It was incredibly thrilling, and no other game has provided me with that feeling since. If it were up to me, I'd erase my memory of those first few moments in order to re-live them and feel the experience again. Now, after seeing Lara back in her trademark tank-top, boots, and hot-pants, I have that sensation creeping back. THIS is what Tomb Raider is about. Tombs. Raiding. Adventure.

I started with TR3 also and I felt exactly the same way... it was like I was there in place of Lara, having the adventure myself. Hope this game brings the fans back... :)

Sophia Leigh
7th Apr 2005, 01:20
When I first played that demo of the Coastal Village level from Tomb Raider 3, I felt like I was really there. That I was an adventurer, escaping traps and solving puzzles. It was incredibly thrilling, and no other game has provided me with that feeling since.

I first played TR1, but this is exactly how I felt and is what hooked me and what inspired me to play all six. For me though all the tomb raider games are excellent, there are no "not so good" or "ugly ones" ;) .