PDA

View Full Version : Lara's Communicator???

Trinity34
6th Apr 2005, 00:16
What do you all think about Lara using some sort of communications device during gameplay? Wouldn't it be funny if it was Kurtis helping her out on the other end? :D But I was just thinking how cool it would be to go online and be able to talk to other TR fans and get game help. What do you guys think?

johnbegone
6th Apr 2005, 05:59
using a com during gameplay is risky unless one pauses but I think that could be interesting. but Id like to use a voice com setup and keep my fingers going on the game keys. speaking of coms have you tried the com chat live on the com chatroom forum. I did today and it was very pleasant to get immediate response.

susan
6th Apr 2005, 16:56
I am trying, honestly, to hold my judgement on this until I play the game.

I don't mind them introducing new novelties and changing things provided they keep the original essence of the game, ie, the Tomb Raider experience.

My worry is this - one of the most enjoyable aspects of TR1 for me for the massive feeling of isolation it gave you. You were the only one around for miles and miles, in secret places that no one else knew existed. (Even in the cities in later games this essence remained because Lara worked alone, last few levels of TR5 excepted). How's it going to feel when someone is jabbering in Lara's ear, advising her what to do next? Apart from annihilating the sense of aloneness, there's also a risk here that the comms unit will serve as a verbal version of the "hand" or diary/notebook look up that helped dumb down AoD.

If TR7 is full of squad based action with full-on comms backup and mission objectives, then it won't be what I'm looking for.

Also of concern is the emphasis on making TR more "action-y". We'll see what that means but both Silent Hill and Resident Evil have moved in this direction and imo their latest games are dull, dumb and repetitive because of this.

Wouldn't it be funny if it was Kurtis helping her out on the other end? Groaaaaaan. :D

Solange
6th Apr 2005, 19:30
If I were Lara... I would use that thing to call the local pizza delivery service when the raiding gets tough! :D

johnbegone
6th Apr 2005, 20:43
Susan, you have a strong point and in answer to that I would say that like
stella's or some of the other walkthrus the choice to use the link or not should be left in the hands of the gamer. mandatory interaction should never be allowed for TR. this com like the walkthrus could prove addictive and ruin the experience imo, but if one wanted to use such a thing should they be denied? I dont know.

Trinity34
6th Apr 2005, 23:13
If/when Lara does use a communication device, who do you think is helping her on the other end? It would have to be a new character or maybe its for us to use for hints throughout the game. I wonder what Eidos has got planned because I know the big thing now is being able to connect to the internet with other players. Hmm... :confused: :)

Sophia Leigh
7th Apr 2005, 01:11
What do you all think about Lara using some sort of communications device during gameplay? Wouldn't it be funny if it was Kurtis helping her out on the other end? :D But I was just thinking how cool it would be to go online and be able to talk to other TR fans and get game help. What do you guys think?

It would be O.K if it is like Zip in TR5 but to some extent I agree with Susan.

susan
13th Apr 2005, 19:21
Susan, you have a strong point and in answer to that I would say that like
stella's or some of the other walkthrus the choice to use the link or not should be left in the hands of the gamer. mandatory interaction should never be allowed for TR. this com like the walkthrus could prove addictive and ruin the experience imo, but if one wanted to use such a thing should they be denied? I dont know.Hi John, yeah I take your point. I know some people would like this type of thing in the game and so maybe Crystal can accommodate everyone by having different options you can select at the start of the game. Thinking about it that might help with the overall difficulty settings too. I like Tomb Raider to be a difficult and long game but I know other people haven't the time or patience. :)

Jsc
13th Apr 2005, 20:17
If I were Lara... I would use that thing to call the local pizza delivery service when the raiding gets tough! :D

LOL
:D :D :D :D

Notts Raider
13th Apr 2005, 22:48
The com might be there for Lara to give the player gentle hints if needed or required, similar to AOD but not as obvious as, 'I can climb that'