PDA

View Full Version : What does UAService7.exe do EXACTLY?!

1stFlight
5th Apr 2005, 19:42
After installing Project:Snowblind I found this service running on my PC afterwards. Now, I only recall installing a game, not any additional resource sucking services. What is it and what exactly does it do?

imported_mike_g
5th Apr 2005, 20:26
I asked around the studio, and was told that UAService7.exe is connected with SecuRom. I’m not exactly sure what it does, but it is something that SecuRom needs. It doesn’t eat up any system resources, and should only run when the game is run.

1stFlight
6th Apr 2005, 01:19
I asked around the studio, and was told that UAService7.exe is connected with SecuRom. I’m not exactly sure what it does, but it is something that SecuRom needs. It doesn’t eat up any system resources, and should only run when the game is run.

I would really appreciate finding out exactly what this tool does, I'm rather adverse to having unknown services (especially ones I didn't approve the install of) running on my system.

imported_mike_g
6th Apr 2005, 17:00
Actually, give your readme a glance about SecuRom.

[T]AlCapone
9th Apr 2005, 09:04
the .exe runs all the time, not just when the game is running.

Sixx2k
11th Apr 2005, 01:11
When will these people learn?? Adding services DOES NOT WORK!!! I't does nothing to prevent the cracking/copying. What it does do however, is PISS OFF the people who BUY the game. C'mon, lets be honest; if you are the type of person who buys games..GREAT support ggod companies but don't fool yourself into thinking those that have no intention of buying will be discouraged buy ANY CP measure. There will always be some 15 year old that can break ANYTHING you come up with!!!!! :cool:

Dandor
20th Apr 2005, 12:19
copy protection is fine if it's on the actual cd or dvd.
I had this service install with the downloadable demo! :confused:

jaywalker2309
20th Apr 2005, 19:08
copy protection is fine if it's on the actual cd or dvd.
I had this service install with the downloadable demo! :confused:

We are just the first to do it, you'll soon find most other games companies doing it on their games, demos included.

Why demos? cos they are usually based on late on game code, therefore the exe structure is almost certainly very similar, if its not encrypted like the full game then crackers use demo exes to compare to full game exes and see what is added.

Yes piracy will not be ended over night, especially whilst people keep supporting the pirates out there by using their `warez` and cracked exes. However this gives us a longer `shelf` life of genuine users before the cracks takeover and kill off the sales.. If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to complain about. I mean how would you feel if you'd spent years making something to see some scumbag pirate it cos they feel theres nothing wrong in doing it, would you get upset and angry and then next time do whatever you could to protect your property? of course you would, and if you say NO to this then you are seriously mixed up about priorities (even open source people ask you to acknowledge them and get upset if you dont and thats on FREE software).

Sixx2k
20th Apr 2005, 20:29
The simple fact is that services like this that run ALL the time and not just when the associated program is running are JUST ANOTHER FORM OF SPYWARE.

And althought I purchase my games; I'm MUCH more likely to use a Cracked or Patched .exe to avoid this kind of crap on my system. Think about it, if EVERY developer installed thier own service. How do you think that would work over time???

Talk about bugs and crashes now....

Just my .02 but I am sure I'm not alone in this. By doing stuff like this the companies do more to "support" the warez groups!

Dandor
20th Apr 2005, 20:49
We are just the first to do it, you'll soon find most other games companies doing it on their games, demos included.

First off your not the only company using SecuRom to protect your product.
however you are the only company that has failed to make provisions for it's removal. Heck you don't even bother to remove the service your software installs when you simply needed to issue a simple command to both stop and remove the service.

Secondly

If you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to complain about.

Sure I have plenty to complain about, I tested your game found it was not to my liking and removed it.

Now I have a registry key that was left behind by your software that cant be removed, edited, or viewed.

However this gives us a longer `shelf` life of genuine users before the cracks takeover and kill off the sales

Third:
You really believe that this will get you a "Longer shelf life of genuine customers"?

Like I said before I have no problems with your using programs to protect your investment. Where I do have a problem is when you intentionally install something that damages my investment.

Now you stop and think how you would feel if I had done the same to you. While your at it you may want to think about how dangerous it is to have a piece of software installed that can circumvent the need for full administrator rights.

To think you had the nerve to ask me how People at Eidos are being rude.......

Dandor
20th Apr 2005, 20:52
After installing Project:Snowblind I found this service running on my PC afterwards. Now, I only recall installing a game, not any additional resource sucking services. What is it and what exactly does it do?

What is SecuROM™?
SecuROM™ is a copy control system for content distributed via CD-ROM and DVD-ROM. It was developed and is maintained by Sony DADC Austria. Replication of SecuROM™-protected titles is available throughout the world.

Why does SecuROM™ install UAService7.exe?
This is a Windows Service which is a module of SecuROM. This module has been developed in order to enable users without Windows administrator rights to access all SecuROM™ v7 features. :eek: Please be assured that this service is installed only for security and convenience purposes. UAServce7.exe does not connect to any server.
As it is a standard Windows Service, you can stop and delete this service like any other Windows Service in case you do not want to use the SecuROM™ protected application any longer. ( not exactly true)

Here is the answer to your question
http://www.securom.com/support_faq.asp

Dalai
24th Jul 2005, 02:35
I just installed the Snowblind demo. After it crashed my PC, I rebooted and noticed this service running. The arrogance of you people, you invade our PCs with constantly running processes without even asking.

I'll be avoiding this game like the plague.

first&last
24th Dec 2005, 00:48
As my username implies, this is my first - and last - posting on this board about the "game" Project Snowblind.

My late entry to Snowblind was down to the lack of time I've had to look the demo over until Friday just past (23/12/05). That and the fact that until now, every copy of the demo I've downloaded before then (three times from different online services) has failed to install - "blah blah corrupt file" was the message each time.

2Mbit ADSL or no, that was a waste of time & bandwidth.

1 strike.

Finally I get a demo downloaded that installs. At this point, I have no idea that Sony are involved in the game - had I known, and considering the Rootkit debacle(s) I wouldn't have touched this game with my worst enemy's!

2 strikes.

Then, just to make matters worse, after finding out that the gameplay is pants compared to the speed and quality of even an older game like Unreal Tournament, I removed it - not knowing that the Securom service had quietly installed itself on my system. Granted it only takes a little out of my 2GB RAM and less than 2% of my AMD 3800's processing power - but it did it without my knowledge. (Yes, it was always doing something and my HD access had gone up quite a bit - when it wasn't crashing Coolmon and whatever game I was running. 2 screens are always better than 1.)

3 strikes.

At this point, that would normally be time to get the crowbar out and look for a head or two to bust (and at the moment Sony, and the people they get this crap from, are really asking for it) but when I find that all of my games are starting to fall over, my system is locking up and/or rebooting for no apparent reason, then I'm about ready to do something nasty.

When I found an additional .exe running on my system that I had no prior knowledge of, I started digging. When I found the information I was looking for, I grabbed a shovel and started setting up a patio (and anyone who remembers Fred and Rose West will know what I mean).

I cleared the service from my system, removed the file from my PC and it has behaved itself perfectly since then.

Now I've started looking around the house for any Sony hardware - PC based or otherwise. It's all going. It was bad enough in the late '80's when I bought a micro hi-fi that had more "It's A Sony" stickers on it than there was space to put them on - I knew it was a bloody Sony, I didn't need telling. I also didn't enjoy spending days removing tack from easily scratched plastic and aluminium fascia. It was a stunning piece of kit for the day - linear speakers & sweet sound. I'm glad now it was stolen when I got burgled.

Once I've replaced my 5-DVD changer for something that doesn't have SONY stamped all over it, that will be the last Sony product ever to disgrace my house.

And yes, this is a long post - but it's either that or I end up in court for finding a Sony rep/advocate/mouthpiece/fanboy and beating seven shades of sh|t out of him as my way of telling Sony that they are the biggest bunch of "unpleasant persons" who've ever walked this earth.

(And if you don't get that last one, check in the Penguin English Dictionary, 1985-6 edition - ISBN 0 14 051.1393, P.202, right hand column, near top, definition 3.)

Merry Christmas to all - except the people of Sony and their mates in the copy protection racket. May their reproductive organs fester at this festive time.

(PS, Sony - I hope TX takes you for every last penny)

NB: This post may not last long here as it isn't a nice one praising the game & Sony - so read it while you can. Any messages to the address given will be redirected to the bit bucket as it will never be used again. I won't be coming back to this forum either, so I won't know or care if anyone wants to fire off a return salvo. My commiserations to anyone who has had the same or similar problems. Thank you and goodbye.

cyberphobiac
19th Aug 2006, 19:24
Okay, I'll intrude from the Lego Star Wars camp. Two points up front: Eidos, like anyone, has a right to protect their hard work and intellectual property. Consumers (that's us), have the right to expect what we purchase will not adversely effect the devices we insert/inject/apply them to as long as these are used as intended.
What's lost in the picture seems to be that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive, but they do both have to be considered. Eidos did a good job considering part of point B with Lego Star Wars when they priced it - so, even though I couldn't make a working backup CD (which is lawful for the original purchaser under DCMA), I didn't mind shelling out another $20 after my 7 year old scratched up the first CD. The UAService7 piece does need revisiting, and I hope they do so before the next release. If this product is the best the world's programming community can do, then God save us all. It is as monstrous as the Sony rootkit, except at least you can see it, and shut it down as has been suggested in earlier postings. But it comes back - and removing it means my son doesn't get his game. Sort of like saying "well, you don't have to drive that new car if you don't like the bucket seats".
FYI: I'm a Network Administrator/Systems Admministrator, and know what it's like to have to restrict use/set policy/say no. but I also know there's a need to let the users be able to get their work done, and sometimes that involves a bit of risk on my side - you can't always assume PEBCAK.