PDA

View Full Version : Simple Command to make all the difference

MrOsterman
5th Apr 2005, 01:28
Want to make the game better easy?

Provide the following 'reactionary' commands for a unit taking fire:

"Fall Back" The unit will retreat slowly, but NOT turn it's full back to the enemy. It therefore will not take flanking damage, but will not retreat as quickly as an about face. It will continue to keep retreating until it is out of range of attacking unit (which may pursue) or until halted.

"Refuse the Right/ Left Flank" The unit will wheel backwards to the right or left, to deny a flanking unit the full advantage of shooting into it at a 90 degree angle. Instead it will wheel and retreat so as to place a better angle of attack for any number of units attacking.

Very realistic. Very easy to play (Won't scare the casual audience), and fall back should be not so hard to add.

Refusing the flanks though is a very very key strategy of the period.

Mr. O

HellAngel_666
5th Apr 2005, 01:33
lol i doupt ANY of these "tatics" are hard to code. no compared to the ai they made. (looks like it learns) :D might be fun if they have hold ground command and a pause and command function. other then that cossacks got my bid.

LondonCalling
5th Apr 2005, 15:30
I think the fall back command was a VERY useful command in Austerlitz: NGV. It would aid this game greatly.

Psycho Pigeon
5th Apr 2005, 16:33
Yeh i think it's weird how they made it so you cannot pull your men out of a close combat fight, it's stupid because your men run in there some times when your not looking so you don't have enough time to pull them out.

zzxxcc
5th Apr 2005, 16:50
By positioning the mouse arrow in the direction you wish a selected unit to face, and pressing the 'c' key, the selected unit will wheel or reform the line in that direction.

MrOsterman
5th Apr 2005, 19:00
The wheeling about the center is a nice option but doesn't address the issue of falling back while under fire to provide less casualties to an enemy.

Battles of the 18th and 19th century were NOT about killing the enemy but about holding the ground while forcing them to reliquish it. I WISH that game designers would figure out that Napoleonic tactics do not require blood and guts to be right, but rather the ability to use tactics, and psychology to win.

When falling back, that is backing up or retreating in short spurts while taking returning fire, you are providing your men a chance to do something pschologically sound. They are still returning fire (the fight's not up boys!) as well as retreating to a place of greater security and safety (and probably out of range). On the other hand, if you turn your back and retreat you are demoralizing your own men with your withdrawl. Further, any casualties recieved have the additional effect of demoralizing as they see the retreat as ineffective.

The net result is that falling back fighting you have more men hold the line, then you do turning about and retreating. If the men get rattled enough they will break and run for cover, becoming useless.

The "Power" of the British line wasn't that they were better shots using more powder and killing more men.

The power of the British line tactics was that they held their line. They continued to volley. They were disciplined beyond any other army of the era and would follow orders without hestitation. This made the Line so much more formidable becuase you couldn't rattle them into not firing full volleys or into running. A rattled line will have some men too scared to shoot, or who make mistakes while loading, or who aim into the air. A discpilined line will do it's duty with every shot.

THAT is the how you win battles in the 18th and 19th Centuries, and THAT should be the essense of any RTS of the period.

Mr. O

Psycho Pigeon
6th Apr 2005, 00:42
Here here! :D . Again we still don't know what will be in the full game so you never know!!!!.

Guevara
6th Apr 2005, 03:54
do we know if the command options and AI will change in the final releasE? And is cossacks like this game?

Cro_Knight
6th Apr 2005, 03:59
they are totally different

mob
6th Apr 2005, 16:21
the ai is strange i made a square wall with 3 units infront of mycannons and the enemy cav ran around in circles as if looking for a gap then the rifle men came and joined in my guys blasted the **** out of them anyway besides that this game is good i think they should take more leaves from rtws books they're leaves are very nice exept for all the probloms it has off the battle field

also online should have a series of campaign maps i doubt i will like sea battles that much i hope there is a good choice of money and that it will be from more selection then 20 units maybe 40 but there will have to be a good server and a good game for this