PDA

View Full Version : The game of my dreams... (long)

LondonCalling
4th Apr 2005, 16:24
My interest in the Napoleonic Wars probably started a few years back when I played a game called Napoleon In Europe (a board game) at a friends house. I liked the game so much I bought it and hosted several large scale games with friends at my house. I then found myself researching bit by bit and reading books about the period. In school at the time, I had shown great interest in a class based on 3ds max (one of the more popular 3d modeling tools out there). As a high school student, I considered myself very lucky to be able to have a class that not many other high schools offered. The class was basic and redementary. If I was going to ever do something with 3ds modeling I realized I would have to devote hours of my own time at home.

My interest in the Napoleonic Wars made me think about how cool it would be if I could model 3ds Napoleonic Figures for a popular game. With this devotion, I took on the task of monumentally researching everything I needed to know about the subject. My first attempt was in WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne. My attempt to put a custom made model into a game had exceeded, and it was very exciting for me to be doing something very few could do for the game. But I was not content with the quality of my model, and this eventually led to refining my 3ds max, and now photoshop skills. I continued to work on these skills with great ambition as a game called Rome: Total War was on the verge of release. The game did not have the mod tools as promised, but a dedicated community of modders made 3rd party tools, and tutorials.

Recently, I had started back at fine tunning my skills again, and was preparing to test my luck out in Rome Total War. The model I had begun working on was a French Fusiler, based off the descriptions and illustrations within a book. My infantry was, for the most part, complete besides animations, and lots of fine tunning that could still be used on the 2d art that goes into a model. (My model can be seen here: http://img158.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img158&image=frenchfusiler3fc.jpg)

I knew the existence of Imperial Glory, but never suspected it to ever amount to anything. Other Napoleonic games, Cossacks 2: The Napoleonic Wars, and Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victories. Both look like they were running out of date graphical engines, and thus didnt entice me into them. (Although I did played Austerlitz, even though it was exetremly rough looking and the controls were horrid.) I thought I would be better off using my own imagination in Napoleon In Europe.

However, I had recently rediscovered Imperial Glory. I viewed the one preview video, and downloaded the demo. The video offers a realistic looking Napoleonic scene and, for the most part, the demo did too. I just cant get over the scene running through my head of cavalry charging infantry, the infantry quickly reloaded their weapons. The cavalry get closer and closer, so close but can they beat the reload? No, the infantry immediatley fire a volley killing the foundering cavalry. One word, awesome! The game also possesses, in my opinion, a type of real live action strategy, and critical thinking on the spot. In games like Rome Total War, you could pause the game and come up with the best way to defeat your opponent, while in this you aren't given such a luxury. Also, the game seems more energetic, and of a faster pace.

Some of the things that got to me though are minor issues that, I'm sure, with some attention, can be fixed easily. The first thing that really bothered me the most was a melee lock, units cannot disengage from melee attacks, simply put. Another thing that bothered me was that the collision size of units preventing them from crowding one area is reduced to such a small margin that melee combat is just a bunch of guys standing on each other (This really could use a fix : /). Another minor thing that bothered me was the graphic for squared infantry. It's just men standing up while the outside corners and kneeling. My last concern is with the artillery attacks. In the Napoleonic Wars, shells were most devastating when they rolled along a battlefield, causing chaos amongst the ranks and maming people were they so happened to show. My last concern is the camera, as it does not rotate as easy as it could, sometimes making it hard to see the whole picture at once.

I have some minor suggestions for the developers aswell. Perhaps after the infantry square graphic is fixed, they can add a feature so the artillery can go into squared infantry. During the Napoleonic wars, this tactic was a swell way to defend artillery against harrassing cavalry.

The game, besides those few minor setbacks is, completely awesome, I cant wait to try out other elements of the game like the naval combat. It is a real plus to see a Total War like game with an emphasis on naval combat. One question though, Multiplayer. I have yet to see any information on the topic could I get some info?

I'm sorry for a bit of a ramble but I needed to get that all out. Im pleased that a promising looking Napoleonic game is on the verge of release. I can only hope that the developers stick with the game, patch it, and keep the community alive and thriving. Perhaps an expansion too : ). Thanks for the great preview and continue the good work!

zzxxcc
4th Apr 2005, 16:53
Aha! Caught you! A modder in our midst! The gem of any gaming community! Call for the gang! I'm tempted to press you now, and hide you below decks until the ship has made a foreign station! :)

But seriously, as exactly the opposite of you (History limited, programing un-abled) I'm glad to hear, that both the initiate (you) and neophyte (me :) alike are still equally enthused about the game.

And I'm glad you took the time to share! It's nice to know someones opinion in the context of their background. Perspective is never a short post.

--Dave

langmann
4th Apr 2005, 21:13
I too have waited long for a good Napoleon game but am disappointed to see that this is not it, regardless of the graphics.

Let me ask you, as you have studied Napoleonic Wars, does the fact that the units fight to the death sit well with you?

HellAngel_666
4th Apr 2005, 21:44
lol i'm a modder to. first thing i mod on this game will be the useage of generals and such. FORGET LIMITS! lol i want head to head battles ASAP! :p

The_Russian_Rocket
4th Apr 2005, 23:30
Let me ask you, as you have studied Napoleonic Wars, does the fact that the units fight to the death sit well with you?
In my opinion this forum has been taken over by a bunch of mindless flamers. This is a game people! If you were attacking me and I retreated every time is that fun! No! As a software designer I know that software has limits. If they put every single one of your requests in, another 9 months would be added to this project. They never claimed to make a "Solely realistic game". It says and I quote:

"Faithfully reproduced units, which differ from empire to empire, reflect the colour and promp of the era.

Authentic period formations and mounveroues provide great tactical depth."

Anything about unit sizes? Ship Masts falling? Bouncing Cannon balls? Deserters? Morale System? Officers in the ranks? General on the field? Trumpet Sounds? Delayed Commands?

You should all be ashamed of your selves. I'm done with this forum. There is nothing to discuss here.

Сигнал отбоя русским! Бог благословляет!

Psycho Pigeon
4th Apr 2005, 23:34
Oh don't be like that rocket :(.

Cro_Knight
5th Apr 2005, 00:01
lol THIS IS GETTING HEATED WELL ANYWAYS Im a modder two and a scenario map builder i believe in a dream like yurrs
we are much alaike

HellAngel_666
5th Apr 2005, 00:09
:eek: WHAT YOUR LEAVING!!! :confused: WTF?!?!?! oh well good ridence :p one less spammer i have to compete with! :D

p.s. GO HOME!

p.p.s TO YOUR MOM!

LondonCalling
5th Apr 2005, 01:30
Total realism can never be acheived in a simulation. As for the combat, I think it is a very good start towards something that is enjoyable to play. As for the lack of a morale system, I think the game designers considered but, realized it would demean other strategy and the level of fun produced by the game. In Rome Total War, and Austerlitz: Napoleons Greatest Victory, morale was key in order to pull the day, but in this game instead of elite units having extra morale bonuses, they get different advantages and disadvantages that can just as well simulate it. This isnt an excuse for the lack of a morale system but, clearly a logical explanation as of why the developers left it out.

My general feeling about this forum is that it is consumed by ignorant people who have nothing constructive to say, and can only put down others to put themselves ahead in life. That seems to be the general flow of things. The game is hear to enjoy if you dont like it, submit your comments to the developers constructivley and leave. Show them how you dont like it, buy not purchasing it, but please think before you post anymore meaningless garbage.

Anything besides constructive critism will not help this game and its developement. As for me, I only wish I could have been here sooner to be more of a part of the community and guide it the best way I can.

langmann
5th Apr 2005, 01:59
In my opinion this forum has been taken over by a bunch of mindless flamers. This is a game people! If you were attacking me and I retreated every time is that fun! No! As a software designer I know that software has limits. If they put every single one of your requests in, another 9 months would be added to this project. They never claimed to make a "Solely realistic game". It says and I quote:

"Faithfully reproduced units, which differ from empire to empire, reflect the colour and promp of the era.

Anything about unit sizes? Ship Masts falling? Bouncing Cannon balls? Deserters? Morale System? Officers in the ranks? General on the field? Trumpet Sounds? Delayed Commands?

You should all be ashamed of your selves. I'm done with this forum. There is nothing to discuss here.

The TW system doesn't seem to have a problem reflecting most of those issues... and they even have officers in their ranks and bouncing catapault projectiles so really... :rolleyes:

A mindless flamer is yourself. I am posing real questions about this game because I am seriously disappointed and there is nothing wrong with doing that. I was looking forward to some competition in the TW genre and it looks like all we have is a game that satisfies people who don't really care about the history.

@LondonCalling: you don't seem to understand Napoleonic warfare then if you think running away (morale issues) were not important enough to reflect in the game.

HellAngel_666
5th Apr 2005, 02:07
for context quote:

My general feeling about this forum is that it is consumed by ignorant people who have nothing constructive to say, and can only put down others to put themselves ahead in life. That seems to be the general flow of things. The game is hear to enjoy if you dont like it, submit your comments to the developers constructivley and leave. Show them how you dont like it, buy not purchasing it, but please think before you post anymore meaningless garbage.

end quote:

most important here

Show them how you dont like it, buy not purchasing it,

why BUY it when noy purchasing it? ??? :confused:

anyways the devs have filters for this type of stuff if we e-mail them it goes by-by asap a waste for our time and their ram usage for their filter

LondonCalling
5th Apr 2005, 02:17
It's a typo.

LondonCalling
5th Apr 2005, 02:18
And anyway, why would a dev filter suggestions? Is it confirmed they do this?

Mike_B
5th Apr 2005, 09:10

:eek: WHAT YOUR LEAVING!!! :confused: WTF?!?!?! oh well good ridence :p one less spammer i have to compete with! :D

p.s. GO HOME!

p.p.s TO YOUR MOM!

Oh yes I'm sure it's a good thing to see the people who actually made sense and where here before this flood started are leaving.

Anything besides constructive critism will not help this game and its developement. As for me, I only wish I could have been here sooner to be more of a part of the community and guide it the best way I can.

:)

As for the filtering I suppose they do have a filter system to make sure that they themselve don't need to filter out the crap some people are willing to send a few hundred times. If you message is however constructive then I won't see why they would delete, that does however not guarantee an answer of them due to time restrictions.

Feel free to use the blank space below to add anything you feel our readers should know.

IV: People should know that we do our best to make good and fun games, and that we do care about their opinions and about what they write in e-mails and posts. We may not be able to answer to everything or to make everyone happy, but we never forget that they are the ones that let us do what we like, which is to make videogames.

sick
5th Apr 2005, 09:44
Anything about unit sizes? Ship Masts falling? Bouncing Cannon balls? ...

Just a short note to those who think cannon balls don't bounce: they do!! It all depends on the angle it hits the ground. Long ranged shots mostly do the trick. :)

HellAngel_666
5th Apr 2005, 12:09
ya it's sweat when it happens.just ripes through 5 units with a huge hole in the middle. also whats kinda weird is how the formations don't re-form when you move them (line that is) must be the demo

zzxxcc
5th Apr 2005, 16:35
I can only speak from my limited knowledge of Napoleonic naval combat but as far as that is concerned, the phenomenon of skipping cannonballs was an accepted reality. If I'm not mistaken British man-o-war gunner's were particularly adept at skipping their shots before the enemy sides, so that they would literally bounce into the manned decks or at least into the hull 'between wind and water" holing the sides as near the surface of the sea as possible.

Now that's with solid shot only. I know explosive mortar shells instead used timed fuses that were to adjusted to detonate as soon as possible after impact, but frankly for solid shot- if a ball skipped on water , I'd wager it would skip even better on packed soil.

And as far as conflicting opinion regarding the game- my only wish is such adversarial criticism could be contained within like minded threads. For those who have already decidedly differently, they should not be forced to re-wage the same arguments ad nauseum every time they wish to post their own comments.

Personally, I'm terribly disheartened by the harshness of some of the discourse thus far, but I can only hope that by overlooking the bad and contributing what I can myself to the good, I can shift the weight in favor of those like to myself.

--Dave
:)

Pas De Charge
5th Apr 2005, 17:05
Frankly i find that kind of action from a moderator rather akin to bullying. Why do you think the "flood" started? Its because a lot of people who really wanted this game to be good, who cared about the game, found out via the demo that not only was it not going to be the game they were hoping for ( which by itself clearly no great crime ) but it was also a very inferior strategy game. Rather than take this lieing down i, and apperently so many others that we gain the description as a flood, decided to voice our disastifaction. The reason im not making suggestions to improve this ( as you so often criticse the flood for not doing ) is frankly i dont belive it would make any difference.

My gripes with this game, not only as a representation of the period, but also as a peice of entertainment are so far reaching that short of restarting development, nothing will recitfy them. You can make all the excuses you like but as far as im concerned the response youve gotten just indicates the faith people had, and the extent to which weve been let down.

Its all very well saying that it isnt supposed to be 100% accurate or that it was never intended to be a "hardcore" strategy game, the problem is, it isnt even 2% accurate and the strategy in this game is pathetic. Why even bother if this is what your aiming for? This is an era with massive appeal to a great many people and to treat it in this way, and then to push around the people who are not content with this, is in my opinion, typical of the attitude i hope will ruin pyro. And thank you to the gentlemen who suggested voting with my wallet, i most certainly shall.