PDA

View Full Version : Paused mode

BlackSheep
4th Apr 2005, 15:24
Hi,

I'd like know if it would be possible to give orders to units in paused mode like in Total War games.

Thanks in advance,

BlackSheep

andytimtim
4th Apr 2005, 15:25
No it's not possible. At least in the demo it wasn't.

I really hope however that it will be available in the full version. :)

langmann
4th Apr 2005, 16:32
Hi,

I'd like know if it would be possible to give orders to units in paused mode like in Total War games.

Thanks in advance,

BlackSheep

So far from the demo it is not possible, which is part of what makes IG really bad (or as I am calling it, Ignoble Glory). It is not the sole thing that makes this game horrid but is part of it.

It makes it very hard to do any combined actions and use combined tactics. When you reach a large number of units it makes it almost unmanageable. Combine that with the nice large map size and you are constantly pausing, scrolling, unpausing, selecting, pausing, scrolling, unpausing, targeting etc etc.

Now most hard core tactics players like to do combined actions, not because they cannot scroll and click with their mice as fast as anyone else, but rather because they enjoy the sheer feeling of using tactics and the beauty of seeing units move in relative co-ordination. It is appealing on that level as well as makes the player choose a variety of units instead of just building the inevitable swarm of best units.

zzxxcc
4th Apr 2005, 17:03
Personally, I kinda liked not being able to pause. It really quickened my pulse when the pace of the battles unfolding began to exceed my ability to give commands. I felt like a 'real' inexperienced General when, as my lines fell apart I, in a panic, mistakenly charged my calvary to the rescue. And to their doom. Light brigade anyone? Awesome!

But I do have a friend who swears by pause-command games and a lack of a pause here may hurt my chances of selling him on the game.

jaywalker2309
4th Apr 2005, 17:29
Personally, I kinda liked not being able to pause. It really quickened my pulse when the pace of the battles unfolding began to exceed my ability to give commands. I felt like a 'real' inexperienced General when, as my lines fell apart I, in a panic, mistakenly charged my calvary to the rescue. And to their doom. Light brigade anyone? Awesome!

But I do have a friend who swears by pause-command games and a lack of a pause here may hurt my chances of selling him on the game.

It comes down to style of gameplay really. RTW is a pause-command-go game, whereas IG and praetorians before it are much more intensive full on everything happening at once games.

Did Napoleon shout out `stop, wait up` to everyone, then wander around the battlefield with everyone frozen, when he was playing the real thing, i dont think so ;)

andytimtim
4th Apr 2005, 18:13
Did Napoleon shout out `stop, wait up` to everyone, then wander around the battlefield with everyone frozen, when he was playing the real thing

Well what else would explain his talent. ;) :p

jaywalker2309
4th Apr 2005, 18:18
Well what else would explain his talent. ;) :p

fast reactions to an ever changing reality? ;)

HellAngel_666
4th Apr 2005, 19:20
lol you can have a no pause and command if YOU want. but i want it. if they put it in all you would need to do is NOT use it! so it wouldn't effect those wo WANTED to use it! so there should be a pause and command.

langmann
4th Apr 2005, 21:04
Did Napoleon shout out `stop, wait up` to everyone, then wander around the battlefield with everyone frozen, when he was playing the real thing, i dont think so ;)

No but his battles weren't over in 3 minutes either. They did have some time to react...

What would be better would be to have your general delay the amount of time for a unit to react after given a command to reflect the realities of the day.