PDA

View Full Version : For Pete's sake

Mike_B
1st Apr 2005, 16:30
I'm getting pretty tired of reading over and over again how Total War is so much better, they have done this and that so much better and what not.

I'm sick of reading all this comparision crap posted here, posted by editors in previews.

Yes they're both turn based. Does that make IG a clone of Total War? NO! There will be similarities and no it's not my intention to tell you what to post and what not but the least one would expect is to, show some respect to Pyro Studios. They have created the groundbreaking, never before seen Commandos series, the orginal game Praetorians and yet people keep praising over Creative Assembly. You want to praise them to heaven fine, but do that on their board, I'm sure they'll be happy with it. You wanna know where CA got there ideas?

If you read this (http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/Praetorians%20Preview.htm) you'll see that some features that were planned for Praetorians and never made it in made their appearance in the Total War series.

Your opinions are welcomed as long as they're constructive (which they often are!) but please keep the comparision crap to a minimum. Imperial glory != Total War. It's Imperial Glory.

/End rant

ben987654321
1st Apr 2005, 18:26
I must say it's pretty obvious to compare the two since tey're both RISK-style games; I would agree though that's where the comparison ends.
Starting the demo I was truly impressed by the quality of the graphics and the smoothness of the animations. This however, came crashing down pretty hard as I started playing the game.

Issuing commands is limited to the plainest "point & click" found in any low-budget RTS from 5 years ago. Making a simple formation is irritatingly clumsy-let alone trying manoeuvres; and in case you wondered- a pause & command feature is definitely needed for that, certainly when going up against a computer with a large number of units.

I sure hope this is just an early draft of the command interface since I was (and still am) really looking forward to this game.

Kind regards

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 18:37
What i'd like to see is the fire formation where the units fire line by line to slaughter the enemy, so line one - fire - line 2 - fire etc, but in the full game you can train your troops all kinds of formations so it says so we can look forward to seeing what they have in store for us.

HellAngel_666
1st Apr 2005, 23:52
for the sake of context. quote:@m

If you read this you'll see that some features that were planned for Praetorians and never made it in made their appearance in the Total War series.

end quote:

most important word: planned. henice it means it isn't in the game.

Gonzodave
2nd Apr 2005, 01:51
They have created the groundbreaking, never before seen Commandos series, the orginal game Praetorians and yet people keep praising over Creative Assembly

And John Romero helped create Doom.

Mike_B
2nd Apr 2005, 09:23
most important word: planned. henice it means it isn't in the game.

I know what I said.

And John Romero helped create Doom.

Pyro is not a one man operation.

Gonzodave
2nd Apr 2005, 09:24
Pyro is not a one man operation.

Neither was Daikatana.

Razmul
2nd Apr 2005, 12:05
i agree with @m here.. you can't compare these two games.. IG is more diplomatic and economic while there's a reason behind the Total War logo..

sure, i think RTW is better from what i saw from the demo, but i think with a few twitches this game has great potential..

(1st post, weee) ;)

Psycho Pigeon
2nd Apr 2005, 14:22
So will you actually be able to build bases and gather resources in IG?.

Czar
2nd Apr 2005, 15:42
I'm getting pretty tired of reading over and over again how Total War is so much better, they have done this and that so much better and what not.

I'm sick of reading all this comparision crap posted here, posted by editors in previews.

Well, sorry @m, but you will undoubtably get a lot sicker.
The fact is the two WILL be compared because they are the same genre.

Yes they're both turn based. Does that make IG a clone of Total War? NO! ... show some respect to Pyro Studios.
How is comapring one title to another disrespecting Pyro?
Unless of course Pyro's title is inferior?

They have created the groundbreaking, never before seen Commandos series, the orginal game Praetorians and yet people keep praising over Creative Assembly.
So? Are you saying that if a software house creates one good title then everything they produce is brilliant?
Not everyone is praising CA either. Many people here like one of the Total War series but hated another. Many have said why - they did this in the hope that Pyro would listen and create a great game.

Pyro should welcome comparison - and if they have done a good job those reviews and comparisons will say:
"MOVE OVER TOTAL WAR: IMPERIAL GLORY IS HERE!"
Do you think that is what they will say?

Mike_B
2nd Apr 2005, 16:12
The fact is the two WILL be compared because they are the same genre.

True but it's mostly the way they are compared that bothers me.

How is comapring one title to another disrespecting Pyro?
Unless of course Pyro's title is inferior?

Again it's mostly the way they are compared, some gaming news sites make it come over that the game is a clone and they got it all from looking at Total War. That is disrepectful to Pyro regarding to what they have proven with their previous work.

So? Are you saying that if a software house creates one good title then everything they produce is brilliant?

Definately not, C3 for example wasn't a top game.

Many have said why - they did this in the hope that Pyro would listen and create a great game.

Then I must have misunderstood it. I should have added that most of my grief is directed to editors of gaming sites.

Pyro should welcome comparison - and if they have done a good job those reviews and comparisons will say:
"MOVE OVER TOTAL WAR: IMPERIAL GLORY IS HERE!"
Do you think that is what they will say?

Well I don't speak for Pyro, and frankly don't know what they'll say in the end. But I assume it would be best that they wouldn't put as "Put TW on the shelves and forget all about it".

langmann
2nd Apr 2005, 20:07

Well I am afraid you're going to have to suck it up, because they are games in the same genre. I mean you have to be blind not to see the similarities really...

Yes they're both turn based. Does that make IG a clone of Total War? NO! There will be similarities and no it's not my intention to tell you what to post and what not but the least one would expect is to, show some respect to Pyro Studios. They have created the groundbreaking, never before seen Commandos series, the orginal game Praetorians and yet people keep praising over Creative Assembly. You want to praise them to heaven fine, but do that on their board, I'm sure they'll be happy with it. You wanna know where CA got there ideas?

Why does Praetorians keep coming up? Its not a very good game really. Not any more remarkable than any other point and click RTS.

But I agree Commandos is very good and very original.

However the game we're talking about is Imperial Glory...

If you read this (http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/Praetorians%20Preview.htm) you'll see that some features that were planned for Praetorians and never made it in made their appearance in the Total War series.

Your opinions are welcomed as long as they're constructive (which they often are!) but please keep the comparision crap to a minimum. Imperial glory != Total War. It's Imperial Glory.

/End rant

In fact I don't see what is wrong with any company trying to bust in on the TW genre. Competition is good, and I was really hoping for some competition here to keep the genre-game type alive and progressing. More ideas, more games etc. I was excited.

I am saddened by the horrible things I saw in the demo. I won't repeat myself here, you can find my opinions in the demo thread.

Mike_B
2nd Apr 2005, 21:01
Why does Praetorians keep coming up? Its not a very good game really. Not any more remarkable than any other point and click RTS.

I personally liked it but I suppose that's arguable. I would have rather seen a sequel to Praetorians than IG. I would have now what to expect then this turn based genre is new to me and strategy games with shooting in it hasn't been my favorite subject, but I'm interested to see how it turns out.

However the game we're talking about is Imperial Glory...

In fact I don't see what is wrong with any company trying to bust in on the TW genre. Competition is good, and I was really hoping for some competition here to keep the genre-game type alive and progressing. More ideas, more games etc. I was excited.

Gotta admit it, true.

Cro_Knight
3rd Apr 2005, 04:21
this also looks like KNIGHTS OF HONOR a game no where near RTW but has its similarities