PDA

View Full Version : Shame that no one is doing it right

MrOsterman
1st Apr 2005, 11:47
I looked forward to Imperial Glory with much anticipation. A 18th/ early 19th Century RTS! A chance to play RTS during the age of imperialism.

But having played the demo it looks like they still aren't doing it right.

The driving principle of all battles before the invention of easy to load rifles was not about killing your enemy... directly. It was about driving them from points of power and forcing them to retire or to surrender. Casualties should be inflicted to help achieve this but positioning, timing, and strategy were just as if not more important then raw carnage.

Troops hardly ever stood toe to toe and volleyed the other into sheer oblivian. It'd be stupid for a line officer to keep his men in a position where 1/3rd of them were going down every volley. If he was in that position, very few leuit. or capts would hold that line and instead pull back, and hope for a better opportunity.

Likewise a unit which saw an enemy approaching on the flank would pull back to deal with it, or risk taking casualties it could not return.

My biggest problem with IG as I see it is that it too falls into the trap of just letting you throw hunderds of troops at each other for caranage. Combat moves far to quickly compared to a real battle, and more importantly casualties come far too fast.

I'll probably still buy it though simply becuase I love the time period, but I wish they'd stop making the Napoleonic and Imperial Wars look like The American Civil War where we had weapons that actually hit.

Where's Sid Meyiers when you need him?!?!?

Mr. O

BANANAMAN
1st Apr 2005, 13:13
There is still just one more pc game based on the Napoleonic period to come:

Cossacks2: Napoleonic Wars: www.cossacks2.de :D :)

Adam23
1st Apr 2005, 13:36
Anyone know when the Cossacks 2 Demo is out, don't think i'll bother with this one!

Adam.

Hitman_M4
1st Apr 2005, 13:57
For the orginal poster, there are plenty of alternatives to IG:

Napoleonic Total War mod for Medieval total war, plus NTW2 is currently being made for Rome total war: www.thelordz.co.uk

Last but not least, Cossacks 2, with battles with up to 64,000 units.

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 15:17
Guys theres lots more you can do in the full game, get new formations,weapons,men. They couldn't put it all in a demo because it would just spoil it all. btw cossacks sucks.

BANANAMAN
1st Apr 2005, 21:25
Guys theres lots more you can do in the full game, get new formations,weapons,men. They couldn't put it all in a demo because it would just spoil it all. btw cossacks sucks.

Could you also tell WHY does Cossacks2 sucks?? :D

BTW: I don't agree with you it sucks. :D

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 22:20
Boring, repetative and looks all cartooney, by the way i speak from experience of the 1st so unless they've changed the gameplay dramatically for the 2nd on it will be cossacks all over again.

HellAngel_666
1st Apr 2005, 23:57
ya 2d hurts it alot but the reason for that is because of the 64k people. :rolleyes: so take the better, more units (with less graphics) or less units (with WAY better graphics?) up to you.

MrOsterman
2nd Apr 2005, 02:32
For the orginal poster, there are plenty of alternatives to IG:

The problem is that NO one is doing it "right".

For example where's the fall back command for units under fire?

It's not that hard to have the front rank volley and then retire through the files to reload and have a nice steady organized retreat withOUT turning your back to the enemy and taking a devestating 'flank' volley in the process.

As for Cossacks 2?

It looks like they're using the same model as 1, which frankly, sucked. No volley fire without manually doing it, and individual troop control rather then unit based. And to do 2D in a world of 3d gaming?

Finally, after the release of Art of War they realized that the new mods bugged the AI to the point of being assinine. It was impossible to play against the computer the AI was so dirt stupid.

Their official position was to uninstall the expansion or:

Buy the next expansion which would contain the AI patch.

I'll say that again:

BUY THE NEXT EXPANSION to get the patch.

I will never under any conditions or pain of death consider paying money for a game by that house. Not another hard earned dollar of mine will ever go to support those kinds of people who sell broken software without remorse or apology.

I also recommend that history buffs tread lightly with those products as the company's track record with Cossacks 1 is horrid for customer support. Yeah they let a guy mod it all so that the units look historically accurate, but they don't do free patches to broken software.

So.....

That makes IG pretty much the only viable option for RTS in this genre... and makes it a shame that it still isn't right.

Again... where's Sid Meyiers when you need him? Gettysburg actually got it right.

Mr. O

sammobrownie
2nd Apr 2005, 11:15
If anyone wants to know and poss save their money, creative assembly are working on a napolean total war 2 and it shud be good!!! :D

BANANAMAN
2nd Apr 2005, 13:32
Cossacks2 is not like Cossacks1. :D

Cossacks2 is more focussed on the battle scene then the economical scene, meaning: Cossacks2 has become waayy more tactical then Cossacks1. And they upgraded their AI.

So, just try its demo when it comes out and judge then is the way to check it out is my advice. :D

BTW: I think that the only ones who can make a realy satisfying Napoleonic pc game in max. unit numbers on screen & 3D graphics & gameplay are the guys of the TotalWar series. The only problem with them (Creative Assembly) is: will they listen to those big mouth fans who want to stay in the ancient war scene or will they listen to the potential buyers/gamers who want an official Napoleonic TotalWar not just that ******ing Napoleonic TotalWar modificated pc game which is already outthere. That's the question. :rolleyes:

HellAngel_666
2nd Apr 2005, 15:47
quote:

If anyone wants to know and poss save their money, creative assembly are working on a napolean total war 2 and it shud be good!!!

end quote:

where you hear this mate? give us a link!

if your talking about the mod that isn't by CA thats by the lordz

www.thelordz.co.uk

CA hasn't made a NTW1 so why would it be NTW2? little more detail please