PDA

View Full Version : Whats Wrong with the Cannon Balls?

Marshal Ney's Nephew
29th Mar 2005, 01:55
In the trailers i saw 6 and 12 pounder cannons firing on troops with balls that just explode when they hit the ground! :eek: In the real days(way back when.....i wasn't born yet:) ) when the gunners fired, the balls would just bounce through men that would die in droves because they were so bunched together.
For example: if british troops had to stand in square formation because of near by drogoons, but mean while getting the poop kickied out of them from careening cannon balls.But the redcoats still have to stay there because of the threat of calvary.(not a good thing if you're the brits.)Another good example is in American Conquest. They've got some nice bouncing balls.hehe.
Well, anyway i was just asking.

Thanx

-------------------

sammobrownie
29th Mar 2005, 09:58
You read too many Sharpe books to leave a quote like that at the bottom of your writing. And yet I must agree with the bouncing balls (lol :cool: ). Shells, casings of metal, would explode amid the enemy but roundshot from a twelve pounder most certainly wouldn't.

The_Russian_Rocket
29th Mar 2005, 14:58
They aren't exploding. They are hitting the ground thus the dirt flies up in the air. Think of a meteor hitting the ground. No explosion, giant crater, dirt in the air.

sammobrownie
29th Mar 2005, 15:50
they shud still continue to bounce though, even if they do kick up a lot of dirt.

IKirov
29th Mar 2005, 20:55
I agree. It's possible that this will be implemented. If not, then you can just imagine that the path of flight of the projectiles is so perfectly perpendicular to the ground just before impact that they land pretty much straight downward. That is, your gunners always achieve the same parabolic flight path.

Spaghetti Hoops
30th Mar 2005, 11:17
We demand bouncing balls! :mad:

sammobrownie
30th Mar 2005, 12:25
wooh yeah. Go Spaghetti :D Go Spaghetti :cool:

Lonewulf44
30th Mar 2005, 16:14
Would'nt say I demand it, but yeah...I 'strongly support' having bb's!

HellAngel_666
30th Mar 2005, 20:56
i'd like it too. but as i stated in another post. games made! :(

Dread_lahll
30th Mar 2005, 23:53
Again a detail,....(cant do them all) as long as we get playability.

jaywalker2309
1st Apr 2005, 16:48
i'd like it too. but as i stated in another post. games made! :(

Aint finished yet :P

Teuvo
1st Apr 2005, 18:08
Nothing wrong with cannon balls, i took some game footage in demo check it out--> http://koti.mbnet.fi/teuvo_k/bouncingballs.wmv

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 18:40
Yeh i've noticed that they bounce just recently which is cool.

HellAngel_666
1st Apr 2005, 23:54
ya that is sick. take out half their peeps in one shot if you can aim it right. ie down hill.

Sveland
7th Apr 2005, 04:21
I demand grapeshot, comon you guys promised us realism.

Marshal Ney's Nephew
7th Apr 2005, 22:16
Yeah and the loading for the cannons is not very realistic, i mean wheres the commander lighting the fuse and such? I don't understand this at all! :eek:

And if the devs were smart enough, they would push the release date back to fix all the problems everyone is scratching their heads about! Evan american conquest is better than this!! :( ( and its an old game for petes sake!)

Emperor Asrailius
7th Apr 2005, 22:32
Well in my demo the balls bounced. it bounced about five times but never exxploded. very effective against columns :D

HellAngel_666
7th Apr 2005, 23:16
it depends on the cannon. hotwits (yellow/bronze/gold waht ever you want to call the colour) cannons explode. while the 12 pounder longer ones bounce. this is due to the fact of it's range and angle of porjectory (sp) also what sucks is how cannons will fire and then fire on THAT spot. so if a unit moves the cannons aim doesn't not even if you tell it to re-attack. you got to unlimber then re-limber and THEN re-attack to get the new bearings (which $u(c)k$

Sveland
7th Apr 2005, 23:20
it depends on the cannon. hotwits (yellow/bronze/gold waht ever you want to call the colour) cannons explode. while the 12 pounder longer ones bounce. this is due to the fact of it's range and angle of porjectory (sp) also what sucks is how cannons will fire and then fire on THAT spot. so if a unit moves the cannons aim doesn't not even if you tell it to re-attack. you got to unlimber then re-limber and THEN re-attack to get the new bearings (which $u(c)k$

if you're dead serious i'm not buying this game no matter what.

HellAngel_666
7th Apr 2005, 23:35
what do you mean? dead serious... i'm telling it to you how i see it. it's REALLY annonying the crap out of me alll i basicly do i have my cannon open and then rape anybody that melees with them as it's not good for anything else.