PDA

View Full Version : Crashing to Desktop

nick2600ii
26th Mar 2005, 19:31
After installing the PC version I started the game up.

First off the sound crackled and at random points in the game the game would close itself with the sound repeating and Windows would report that the program had a problem and had to be closed. As soon as you tell it not to send an error report the sound shuts off and you can begin again.

I've been working with the techies for a few days now and he had me update drivers for video, sound, chipset. None of which helped. He then had me reduce the amount of audio acceleration one step at a time and test it. It continued to have crackling sound until I the Emulation was turned off completely, the game also stopped crashing. The only problem was that after playing for about 10 minutes the sound started stuttering almost like it couldn't figure out what to do next. My computer is far from a POS and unfortunately their are no sound driver updates. At this point the techies are lost for a solution. Is there anyone else that has experienced this problem or knows of a solution. I'll list my specs below.

Proc: Intel Pentium 4 3.02GHz HT
RAM: 1GB PC-3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR
Video: ATI X800 with 128MB RAM
HDD: 2 x 80GB Seagate 7200RPM Barracuda SATA
Sound: Creative SoundBlaster Live! 24-Bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

BeefEater
28th Mar 2005, 21:31
I have the same problem, or at least very similar. The sound does not crackle in game, but it locks up constantly with the sound repeating and clicking on don't send error report causes it to stop. I tried turning audio acceleration all the way off, but it didn't stop the crashes, if anything maybe made them less frequent. I sent a support request to eidos but they haven't sent anything back yet. I think a number of people are having this problem, so hopefully a patch will address it.

nick2600ii
29th Mar 2005, 03:18
I figured I wasn't the only one. I understand that this game has just come out, but for crying out loud. This seems to be common thing among game developers, get it out as fast as possible and then patch like crazy. Thats why they kept delaying Half-Life and Doom 3 because they actually worked out of the box for the most part. At any rate I'm sure they'll be releasing a patch. I've been playing games for a long time and I know the difference between crummy drivers and a bug in the game. Yet everytime I come to any tech support I get the same thing, send us your system info. And then 20 mailings later the patch is released that fixes it and wow, they magically fixed my problem.

Anyways I feel better now, thanks for posting, now people might notice that there are more and more people with this problem. Thankfully, I switched to ATI on my last upgrade they've been top dogs for a few years now.

ilyakarp
5th Apr 2005, 16:07
Hey Guys I have the same problem.
Was reading suggestions on how to fix it and so far nothing helps.
P4 3.2
ATI 9600
1 GIG. memory

ChristmasOnMars
8th Apr 2005, 18:42
This game is bug-city. Are the Xbox and PS2 versions broken? Because man, I can't play for 10 straight minutes without it crashing to desktop. This appears to be a common problem.

Yes, I have the latest drivers and BIOS versions for everything. My system is clean of viruses, adware and spyware. Other games don't crash. This one does.

It especially sucks because you can't save whenever you wish to. I'd rather have a quicksave than "save points" because when the game crashes, I have to replay 10-20 minutes of the damn campaign. It's maddening.

Until I see a patch that fixes the crash bug, I will spread the word on message boards and in real life that this game is BROKEN.

DXman
8th Apr 2005, 19:30
This game is bug-city. Are the Xbox and PS2 versions broken?

nope, the xbox version works fine. no crashes, lagginess, or any sound problems. the pc version is the only one that is bugged up. we need a damn patch!!!