PDA

View Full Version : The Pause & Command Option

BANANAMAN
26th Mar 2005, 16:23
Could anyone please tell me in here if there will be a pause & command during pause option in Imperial Glory?

This is very important, because then you can give commands during pause and when you unpause you can relax & enjoy the scene. The necesery aspect is that it makes the game more practical in commanding an large army with somewhat complexer tactics, such as ordering your army to attack from four sides at the enemy at the same time.

BANANAMAN
26th Mar 2005, 21:30
Hi there again,

I know this question has been asked before, but this is no joke I'm serious about it because it's or I'll buy Imperial Glory or Cossacks2.

If Imperial Glory has the same pause & command option like Cossacks2 then I'll buy Imperial Glory but if Imperial Glory does'nt has it then it's Cossacks2.

But there is not much info on this one in Imperial Glory, so I remain in the dark at the moment, could someone please shed light in the matter?

Thanx. :)

HellAngel_666
26th Mar 2005, 22:42
the reason no one is replying is because.

YES :eek: NO ONE KNOWS! :confused: you got us all mate!

sick
26th Mar 2005, 22:43
There will arrive a demo very soon (my guess is within 1½ week), which might answer you question.

BANANAMAN
26th Mar 2005, 23:21
There will arrive a demo very soon (my guess is within 1½ week), which might answer you question.

Thanx sick, I'll certainly will try the demo of Imperial Glory. Hope there is a pause & command option. :D

Dread_lahll
27th Mar 2005, 00:23
I guess you will not be interested in multi-player battles then heh?

HellAngel_666
27th Mar 2005, 01:21
theres a multi-player portion for the demo? :eek: where you here this? :confused:

BANANAMAN
27th Mar 2005, 01:31
I guess you will not be interested in multi-player battles then heh?

You guessed right. :)

Mike_B
27th Mar 2005, 08:33
theres a multi-player portion for the demo? :eek: where you here this? :confused:

No mp in the demo.

When will we see a demo, and what do you plan it to feature?

FC: We have just sent the demo to the printed magazines, and the online version will follow shortly. The demo features two land battles, a presentation of the manage model and a Naval battle video. The first one is set in Hanover with an easy initial setting for gamers who want to play a bit with their units, get easily familiar with the controls, the tactics, and a second one in a North African map (that means sun, sand, sand storms, etc..) that will be much harder, to experience the full leadership with a big army.

BANANAMAN
27th Mar 2005, 09:27
Thanx for your reactions guys. :)

Let's see if in the demo if Imperial Glory will bring us the pause & command option during pause. :)

ultaman
27th Mar 2005, 10:09
I read this ...

'The game will be split into two distinct sections: empire management and battle sequences. Empire management consists of a very Risk-like map of the 51 provinces in the game spanning Europe, Russia, and Morocco. You'll stockpile your resources and build your armies, then strategically position them and move them into combat in this section. Battle can take place on land or at sea, and the empire map depicts sea area as conquerable territory, just like land area. During empire management, you'll also get the chance to build your navy and lay claim to various parts of the sea. The game contains 31 maritime areas to control, each with their own weather and sea conditions. The ultimate goal of this would be to blockade your enemies and besiege their cities with powerful cannon barrages with impunity. Think of these turn-based empire management sessions as a Civilization-like filler between the main attractions of the game, the battle sequences.'

Please see

http://www.gamedaily.com/pc/preview/?game_id=3041&articleid=325&guidesrc=&source=00001

BANANAMAN
27th Mar 2005, 19:19
Many thanx ultaman, but the article says nothing about the pause & command (giving orders) option during pause. :D

ultaman
28th Mar 2005, 08:23
Ah!.. sorry my misunderstanding.. I think you mean during the action battle sequences.. in which case my humble guess would be its like Rome Total War (RTW).. there is a pause like any other game but just a pause.. the whole point of the action sequence is fighting in real time which is the challenge.. I like real time fighting.. its more realistic in a way also we are dealing with 2,000 men at most so its not too difficult..

BANANAMAN
28th Mar 2005, 10:20
.. there is a pause like any other game but just a pause..

Nobody in here knows that if there will be just a pause or a pause & command option, say, are you someone from Pyrostudios or Eidos? :)

sqall
28th Mar 2005, 10:25
Theres a good chance where there might be a pause and command, however the term "real time" is when your in battle. and I don't think many Generals paused the world and moved there men around. ;)

BANANAMAN
28th Mar 2005, 10:40
And to be honest the pause & giving orders during pause and then unleash/unpause your troops is the standard package now in RTS games, because:

* The gamer can then make more tactical moves at the same time, which is impossible to almost impossible with just a pause option.

* The gamer gives his orders during pause and unpauses the game and can just watch more and enjoy more of the carnage going on on the battlefield. With just a pause option the gamer would be just too busy with the battle and cannot enjoy the carnage which going on that much.

So, not to install a pause & giving orders during pause option is to lame the (RTS) game on purpose which is not a good thing for the developers' reputation.

BANANAMAN
28th Mar 2005, 10:52
Theres a good chance where there might be a pause and command, however the term "real time" is when your in battle. and I don't think many Generals paused the world and moved there men around. ;)

LOL! :D You are pulling my leg. HAHAHAHAWHAAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!LOL! :)

I'm sorry sqall, but I had to get that off my chest. :)

A pc game like Imperial Glory has to have balance in reality & gameplay not just reality because it (Imperial Glory) is a pc game not a real life situation . :D

sqall
28th Mar 2005, 10:56
lol, I want to have the pause and command option as much as you do. But just be prepared for the worst... :)

BANANAMAN
28th Mar 2005, 10:59
And because it (Imperial Glory) is a pc game Pyrostudios could think more about making things (during the battles in the RTS part of the game) more easier (such as the pause & giving orders during pause option) for the gamer which is called in company/business terms: giving more service towards your clients. ;) :)

sqall
28th Mar 2005, 11:09
The thing that annoys me is that they havnt updated the site for months.

The games coming out in about 1 month, and they havnt done the Austria pages :eek:

BANANAMAN
28th Mar 2005, 11:15
The website isn't important: the game (Imperial Glory) is, the game. :)

sick
28th Mar 2005, 13:21
Check TAFN, sqall. We have info on Austria and Artillery for months already.

Click my signature or here:
http://imperialglory.tafn.info

The Dude 442
28th Mar 2005, 14:04
I don't understand this pause and command function.
If you get attacked while you are sitting back to enjoy the action, do you have to pause again to give new orders?

BANANAMAN
28th Mar 2005, 14:27
If you like to, you can use it or not. But at least you would have the choice. :)

The Dude 442
29th Mar 2005, 08:46
Then it's quite pointless.

The_Russian_Rocket
29th Mar 2005, 15:03
How so? In large scale games, there are many squads (lets call them) they you have to control. If you decide to spread them out, then commanding is very difficult.

BANANAMAN
29th Mar 2005, 16:09

How do you mean 'it's quite pointless'? :confused:

It's the way around: it's quite practical: even more practical then the 'just' pause option.

IKirov
29th Mar 2005, 20:53
On a more pragmatic note, Praetorians did not have a pause-and-command option, so it's probably doubtful that Imperial Glory will. Can anybody that's played the demo weigh in?

Grifman
1st Apr 2005, 01:42
Well, I just tried the demo and you could pause the game, but you could NOT command.

Sorry, no purchase from me unless I can give orders while the game is paused. It's not something that is hard to program, I don't understand why they don't include it as an option.

Grifman
1st Apr 2005, 01:43
I like real time fighting.. its more realistic in a way also we are dealing with 2,000 men at most so its not too difficult..

Realism has absolutely nothing to do with it. In real life a general would not be giving orders to form squares or charge to individual regiments. The men would do it automatically as necessary. Please don't throw "realism" into this.

Grifman
1st Apr 2005, 01:46

Really, let's see:

On one end of the battlefield you have enemy cavalry charging you and you need your regiment to form a square or they're dead meat.

And on the other end, your volley fire has shattered the enemy regiment facing you and a charge into melee combat would defeat them - if you move fast enough.

So how are you going to do both at the same time?

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 02:44
Well hopfully you wouldn't be and idiot and seperate your men, you would have kept them within shooting distance of another platoon to atleast give them backup while they retreat, if you struggle issuing commands while the game is in play i think your abit slow, it's so easy just to click a few buttons them move to another part of your army, plus theres a mini map to increase nice fast speed to the action.

Grifman
1st Apr 2005, 03:02
Well hopfully you wouldn't be and idiot

We'll see . . .

and seperate your men, you would have kept them within shooting distance of another platoon to atleast give them backup while they retreat,

And what if that platoon is already busy with another unit, huh - you can't have reserves everywhere? And even having another unit nearby is not going to prevent your infantry from being plowed over by a cavalry charge. Sure you may cause some casualties on the cavalry but the charge will go through. So much for your "tactics" :)

if you struggle issuing commands while the game is in play i think your abit slow,

I think you don't know what you're talking about.

it's so easy just to click a few buttons them move to another part of your army, plus theres a mini map to increase nice fast speed to the action.

That doesn't change the fact that you can't be in two places at the same time or issue orders to two or more different units at the same time. Can you understand that?

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 04:46
Well, the other play will not be able to do the same then so your equal. Believe me my formation consists of always having backups, i'd never leave my cavelry out of reach of a situation involving the enemy's cavelry, so they will have a swift entrance to the battle whatever side of the formation its in. I pull back any troops that are getting over run by enemy troops while having cover fire from the second wall to keep the enemy casualties coming. The main threat is artillary, still working on a way to keep my men safe and getting the arty.

JABBA
1st Apr 2005, 08:57
Realism has absolutely nothing to do with it. In real life a general would not be giving orders to form squares or charge to individual regiments. The men would do it automatically as necessary. Please don't throw "realism" into this.

And a real life battle lasted hours, not minutes.

HellAngel_666
1st Apr 2005, 23:46
lol not 5 minutes and only about 70 deaths on your side :rolleyes: . lol this game iss WAY to small (units only 40? WTF???) well this game should have a pause command. and stronger people. melees are like 5 seconds. reload is like 20... man this could use some work, like a pause and command funtion

p.s. to get past artiliery just send in 3 people one to and two to the sides. the artilery won't be able to get all of them.

Psycho Pigeon
1st Apr 2005, 23:48
Shhh, you havn't played full release, theres more units in the full game it was just a demo calm down demos are always small it was just to give a tiny tiny tiny bit of sense.