PDA

View Full Version : Huge Graphic Problems!

mangee30
26th Mar 2005, 03:46
I Have Just Started this what seems to be great game but i have huge grapichs problems i have an Radeon 9800 Pro graphichs card its totally unplayable.How do i solve this problem?
A reaply would be really great!

mangee30

qda
26th Mar 2005, 08:18
you might want to give us more details

system specs and description of your problems in detail.. its anyones guess why its sucking if you dont tell us specifics

make sure you're using the latest drivers for all your computer parts

sausow
27th Mar 2005, 03:20
using a radeon 8500 card, the game's first two levels run fine. upon loading level 3 (ambush) however, the graphics are all washed out and lack any color and texture whatsoever. my hud display and gun are the only things that look normal. i've installed the latest ati drivers (from 3/9/05) and this did nothing to solve the problem. i've had trouble finding any discussion of this problem elsewhere online, but it does seem to have occurred with other systems also using ati cards.

sonyack
27th Mar 2005, 11:42
We nVidia people have had similar problems and most have found that it is a driver problem, solved by using drivers earlier than the latest or by using an unofficial beta driver. So maybe ATI has earlier drivers you could try, or a "beta" driver, also.....

Also, I once had a similar problem with my nVidia card where things would work fine for a bit and then I'd get ultra-slow mouse or freeze of same and corrupted graphics. It turned out that the drivers were not installed correctly, even though they seemed to be. Apparently, the drivers had become corrupted or parts of them went missing.

Targitai
27th Mar 2005, 23:55
using a radeon 8500 card, the game's first two levels run fine. upon loading level 3 (ambush) however, the graphics are all washed out and lack any color and texture whatsoever. my hud display and gun are the only things that look normal. i've installed the latest ati drivers (from 3/9/05) and this did nothing to solve the problem. i've had trouble finding any discussion of this problem elsewhere online, but it does seem to have occurred with other systems also using ati cards.

I have the same damn problem.
Except I'm using ATI Radeon 9200SE.
I tried Catalyst versions: 4.9, 4.10, 4.12, 5.2, 5.3 and nothing.
I have latest chipset drivers also.
Tried with Full Screen Effects on and off.

My only guess it's because of Pixel Shader 2.0 which my video card doesn't support.
Only people with 8500, 9000, 9200 have this problem.
Any help is appriciated.

mangee30
28th Mar 2005, 02:17
Still have Huge Grapichal problems whit this game I tried EVERY diver old&new ATI/OMEGA/NGO/DNA and its still the same you could play the first level whit no problems but in the second level you get MAJOR grapichs corruption so bad that is unplayable.Since i bought the damn game it would be nice if it would work.This is my system at the moment:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+(Socket 754)
512 MB D-DDR RAM
ATI RADEON 9800 PRO 128MB&ATI CATALYST 5.3DRIVERS
WIN XP HOME whit SP2

By the way its the ONLY game that dont work correctly and i read that others have some problembs too (Maybee its the game that is bug?)

Please help me whit this?

sonyack
28th Mar 2005, 13:06
I wish I could be more of a help here, but I have never had an ATI card, so I can't speak from any experience about them. But as these problems are very similar to the problems some nVidia people have had, probably the cause is similar.

It shouldn't be that Pixel Shader 2.0 is unsupported by the card, as the game readme says that Pixel Shader 1.1 can be used.

But for sure, these problems being experienced with ATI cards are a driver issue of some kind, just as with nVidia cards. There are actually two issues that have to be kept in mind when troubleshooting here: whether the card/drivers are really installed correctly and fully, and whether the drivers are the ones the game can use. Which makes it difficult.

On my system, it certainly seemed that my card was perfectly installed: Windows said so! The post screen said so. And I can install a damn vid card, fer Pete's sake. But it turns out that it wasn't. The card would not work right until I got Windows to put up that little balloon saying it found it [it kept skipping that step]. It's not as crazy as it sounds, as I could use Windows fine, do some word processing, run a video clip, a little picture editing, etc. But anything strenuous, like a game, nope. Some games would work for a long time before there were problems, some would not work right way. Well, the card finally went in right, but until I wanted to game, there was no clue!

So the message is that things are not always what they seem, and you might look into totally reinstalling your vid card [cleaning out all vid related drivers, resetting the vid card itself, picking a driver likely to work with the game, etc.] if all else has failed. Also, there is this little trick that might work: go to device manager, right click the display adapter, choose Update, choose Automatically...sometimes Windows decides it has found something it lost.

Probably not the problem, since other games work, but every user's system is unique so you never know. Once you're sure Windows and the card installation are up to snuff, then there is the particular driver issue. I don't have ATI, so what can I say, but eventually, somebody will post what they have found and that may help. Chances are that the ATI drivers to use are not the latest, but rather the ones current when the game was under development.

Targitai
28th Mar 2005, 16:14
I thought about it too. It's not logical that Pixel Shader 2.0 is the cause here, but who knows.
I'm starting to think it's because my card is not DirectX9 compatibile, so it misses something.
Anyway, I sent off a Support Request to Eidos about this. Still no answer.
Also I tried a program called Driver Cleaner Professional Edition. It cleans all remaining files after driver uninstall. Well, it didn't help.

HDS
28th Mar 2005, 16:19
I honestly do not think it is the pixel shader, i am using a 9600 Pro, (from what i have used ATI have been very good so far in every aspect), i have had no problems so far apart from the random crashing, and the mouse cursor appearing on thew screen.....

Mike_B
28th Mar 2005, 17:01
Anyway, I sent off a Support Request to Eidos about this. Still no answer.

It's called Easter, companies don't work then :) (assuming that you sent it very recently that is).

robertnks
28th Mar 2005, 17:28
I'm at level 7 and I'm using the Invidia G4 TI 4600 with the 6693 drivers and have had no problems so far...besides restarting levels!! lol.. I'm still trying to figure out the selection of grenades!! Just wanted to input that info...ok back to game.... :D

sonyack
28th Mar 2005, 18:08
Any game should run and be usable if at least the minimum system requirements listed on the box are met, assuming there is nothing amiss with the system it is installed on. People are too forgiving of software developers sometimes: what would you do if the new car you bought wouldn't turn left when the lights were on?

It is supposed to run on the ATI 8500+. It is very unlikely that the ATI 9200SE does not support DirectX9. If you don't have DirectX9.0c, the latest one, try that, but the game should work with 9.0b.

NVidia people have reported that using the Setup feature [Start, Eidos, Project..., Setup] before starting the game, and turning off Enable Full Screens Effects solved some problems.

Targitai
28th Mar 2005, 20:33
I have DirectX 9.0c and Catalyst 5.3.
And ATI Radeon 9200SE does NOT support DirectX9, only 9700/9800 Pro and later do.
It's a DirectX 8.1 card.
Anyway, it's very strange that GeForce 4 Ti4600 works fine with this game and my card doesn't, because they are almost the same(except one is ATI and the other is nVidia).

HDS
28th Mar 2005, 20:40
I have DirectX 9.0c and Catalyst 5.3.
And ATI Radeon 9200SE does NOT support DirectX9, only 9700/9800 Pro and later do.
It's a DirectX 8.1 card.
Anyway, it's very strange that GeForce 4 Ti4600 works fine with this game and my card doesn't, because they are almost the same(except one is ATI and the other is nVidia).

I just want to point out a mistake, the 9600 is DirectX 9 compatible, fully, hence its not only 9800 and on, and a note the 9200SE does support direct x 9 my firend who lives 9 floors away has it and direct x 9 works perfectly, hence it IS compatible...

Targitai
28th Mar 2005, 20:49
I just want to point out a mistake, the 9600 is DirectX 9 compatible, fully, hence its not only 9800 and on, and a note the 9200SE does support direct x 9 my firend who lives 9 floors away has it and direct x 9 works perfectly, hence it IS compatible...

You don't understand what I mean. You may install DirectX9 on almost any system, but only advanced video cards will take full advantage of it, all the effects etc. Ask any expert and he will explain it to you.

sonyack
28th Mar 2005, 21:34
The ATI site displays stuff about its products, and yet nowhere do I see there any info about DirectX, and the search function says there is no info on DirectX.
From what I do see, the various capabilities and features, I still say that it is very unlikely that the Radeon 9200 series does not support DirectX 9.

For one thing, the box states: 100% DirectX 9 compatible 64MB Direct3D Card with Pixel Shader 1.1 support (GeForce 3/Radeon 8500+)
(GeForce 4MX not supported) as a minimum requirement, so since Eidos feels that the 8500 is DX9, must be that 9200SE is also. And that would mean that the game problem with the 9200 SE is not a DX9 issue.

Q-BanditZ
28th Mar 2005, 21:35
Disabling full screen effects in the setup menu does help things a bit, and I didn't see any appreciable differences in terms of graphics quality when I turned it off.

Targitai
28th Mar 2005, 22:41
Disabling full screen effects in the setup menu does help things a bit, and I didn't see any appreciable differences in terms of graphics quality when I turned it off.

I already tried that.
I recieved a response from Eidos and they suggested reverting to older drivers and reinstalling the game. Nothing helped. So I sent a follow-up to my problem.

dman87
29th Mar 2005, 12:50
Exact same problem here. Works up to the Ambush level.

Specs:
Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
1.6 ghz AMD Athlon XP
256 MB DDR Ram
Radeon 9200SE 128MB ram

I have tried the latest drivers and some older ones, to no avail.

Targitai
29th Mar 2005, 15:18
So I'm not the only one with this problem.
I tell you only people with old video cards are having this problem.

oherror
29th Mar 2005, 20:50
So we run into the video driver issues...for the people with radeon's i really hope your not running catalyst drivers...they are know for having issues in games.

I recommend you try these...

http://www.omegadrivers.net/main.php

i run these on my radeon machine with no issues...try them out if they work great if they don't at least you tried them.

Also there are a set of nvidia drivers that your can try if you have a nvidia card. Although i haven't tried those due to the fact that i've had no issues with nvidia's drivers yet. Although i do know they are good.

oh well thats my 2 cents

Targitai
29th Mar 2005, 22:26
I have tried Omega Drivers too.
I'm going to do an upgrade soon. Hope this will fix my problem. My card is very old anyway. Several new games already support Pixel Shader 3.0 and I don't have even 2.0.

jaywalker2309
29th Mar 2005, 22:36
The ATI site displays stuff about its products, and yet nowhere do I see there any info about DirectX, and the search function says there is no info on DirectX.
From what I do see, the various capabilities and features, I still say that it is very unlikely that the Radeon 9200 series does not support DirectX 9.

For one thing, the box states: 100% DirectX 9 compatible 64MB Direct3D Card with Pixel Shader 1.1 support (GeForce 3/Radeon 8500+)
(GeForce 4MX not supported) as a minimum requirement, so since Eidos feels that the 8500 is DX9, must be that 9200SE is also. And that would mean that the game problem with the 9200 SE is not a DX9 issue.

Just a quick heads up on the spec there, Compatible means works with, compliant means directly supports.. DX9 compatible means has works with dx9 installed and has drivers based on it. DX9 compliant means has the feature set of DX9

Hope that helps.

sonyack
29th Mar 2005, 23:07
Thanks for pointing out that difference--didn't notice. But nevertheless, Eidos claims on the box that cards "compatible" will work the game, so the 9200SE should play it, but does it? Unless someone posts saying that they use the card with this game, we're in the dark about that I guess.

jaywalker2309
29th Mar 2005, 23:16
Thanks for pointing out that difference--didn't notice. But nevertheless, Eidos claims on the box that cards "compatible" will work the game, so the 9200SE should play it, but does it? Unless someone posts saying that they use the card with this game, we're in the dark about that I guess.

We didnt notice any issue on the hardware we have here. Is yours an ATi branded card, or maybe some other manufacturers?

HDS
29th Mar 2005, 23:16
Yes, hello i told oyu my friend who lives 9 floors above me plays this game on a 9200SE....

Targitai
30th Mar 2005, 00:08
Yes, hello i told oyu my friend who lives 9 floors above me plays this game on a 9200SE....

And he has no problems?
Believe me I've tried everything.
Btw, I have a GigaByte Radeon 9200SE 128 MB, but the chipset is ATI.

sausow
1st Apr 2005, 06:43
im curious as to why edios or crystal dynamics have yet to even acknowlage the problem we're having... if a sizable number of people all with the same lineage of videocard are all having the same problem, it becomes pretty clear that the issue is on the software side of things. even some indication that the problem is noted and being worked on would be appreciated, im sure, by everyone who has payed for this game and cant play it.

HDS
1st Apr 2005, 22:49
And he has no problems?
Believe me I've tried everything.
Btw, I have a GigaByte Radeon 9200SE 128 MB, but the chipset is ATI.

apart from the random crashes which i have too , no, not seen anything so far, however he plays on very low q everything and low res too.....

Q-BanditZ
2nd Apr 2005, 00:39
I think when you scan just the first page of this forum, and you see the thread titles and how many hits they've got...it's a no-brainer that this game needs some help in the form of a hefty patch. It's obvious that they released a buggy and incomplete product, at least to some degree.

Plenty of people with all sorts of differing hardware are having the same issues: Crashing, skips, and God knows what else.

It couldn't be more plain and obvious that some form of help needs to come ASAP from Eidos/Crystal Dynamics. It's a real shame, because it's a nice title. I hate to see it handicapped like this.

Targitai
2nd Apr 2005, 02:41
Well, I did an upgrade, bought myself an ATI Radeon 9600XT 256 MB which supports Pixel Shader 2.0 and what do you know? IT WORKED!
No problems at all!
So I was right, you need a DirectX9 compliant video card in order to play this game normally.

Now I want to say that the effects are awesome in this game. Textures are low-res of course, but it's alright.
It is a very nice title, but buggy.
Good luck to all.

darudi
12th Apr 2005, 16:43
:eek: only older video cards have problems... wel i have a brand new pc asus p5ad2 mainboard procc P4 3.4ghz 1024 ddr2 and an ATI RADEON EAX800xt.... and i have problems game crashes
this isnt the only game samething and worse with vivendi game rid**** return to butcher bay gamecrashes pc reboots ....its like i am in gamers hell... lady there told me i had to upgrade my card :eek: something to do with shading .... card doesnt support this ??? weird huh since its a card that cost a lousy 500 euros...

sonyack
12th Apr 2005, 20:32
The Snowblind problem is the drivers--you gotta get the "right" drivers for your system and you gotta be sure they are installed correctly for your system. The Rid****: Return....problem really is that the game doesn't do well with the later pixel shader stuff, and you can set that in the game options to the lower pixel shader version. I hope :0).

jaywalker2309
12th Apr 2005, 21:40
im curious as to why edios or crystal dynamics have yet to even acknowlage the problem we're having... if a sizable number of people all with the same lineage of videocard are all having the same problem, it becomes pretty clear that the issue is on the software side of things. even some indication that the problem is noted and being worked on would be appreciated, im sure, by everyone who has payed for this game and cant play it.

We are reading all the postings, and when we see issues we try to recreate them in house and then work on fixes.

The demo has got an ATI fix in there. Have you tried the demo? (yes i know its a bit silly if got full game, but gives us an indication we working in right direction)

Cell9song
12th Apr 2005, 22:00
We are reading all the postings, and when we see issues we try to recreate them in house and then work on fixes.

The demo has got an ATI fix in there. Have you tried the demo? (yes i know its a bit silly if got full game, but gives us an indication we working in right direction)

Jay, do you work for Crystal Dynamics or Eidos QA? Just curious.

One thing I am wondering about is why they decided to release a demo knowing full well the crashing issue still exists....in the demo. Its great you guys took care of the ATI problem but when Nvidia is still on the majority of gamer PC's then I really need to wonder who is making these decisions (it HAS to be marketing, correct?). I mean does anyone there have the spine to say "look, quite a few people are having issues so releasing a demo when the issue isn't even addressed is utterly foolish"? Jump up on the conference table at the next meeting, kick some water glasses over :eek:

If I were you guys I'd be kicking down the door to that 3rd party company that did the port (Nixxes/Nexxes or something like that?).

jaywalker2309
12th Apr 2005, 22:05
Jay, do you work for Crystal Dynamics or Eidos QA? Just curious.

One thing I am wondering about is why they decided to release a demo knowing full well the crashing issue still exists....in the demo. Its great you guys took care of the ATI problem but when Nvidia is still on the majority of gamer PC's then I really need to wonder who is making these decisions (it HAS to be marketing, correct?). I mean does anyone there have the spine to say "look, quite a few people are having issues so releasing a demo when the issue isn't even addressed is utterly foolish"? Jump up on the conference table at the next meeting, kick some water glasses over :eek:

If I were you guys I'd be kicking down the door to that 3rd party company that did the port (Nixxes/Nexxes or something like that?).

I am an Eidos employee.. (hehe doesnt my signature give enough away :) )

We are trying to get as much information as possible about the nVidia issues as we didnt have any crashing issues during dev. nVidia are working with us on their drivers which they say will aide greatly. ATI fix was something simple to do on the demo as it was coming thru the pipeline post game release.

Nixxes are `effectively` Crystal. They work almost exclusively on all Crystal titles, but are based in a different office. I know when they read this they may say nooooo but its easiest way to describe how they link into crystal/eidos.

Cell9song
12th Apr 2005, 22:16
I am an Eidos employee.. (hehe doesnt my signature give enough away :) )

We are trying to get as much information as possible about the nVidia issues as we didnt have any crashing issues during dev. nVidia are working with us on their drivers which they say will aide greatly. ATI fix was something simple to do on the demo as it was coming thru the pipeline post game release.

Nixxes are `effectively` Crystal. They work almost exclusively on all Crystal titles, but are based in a different office. I know when they read this they may say nooooo but its easiest way to describe how they link into crystal/eidos.

Thanks for the reply but you sidestepped my question ;)

why did they release it knowing there was a crashing issue? I can accuse them of trying to rush it (full version) to market so they can post their quarterly profits in time but releasing the demo just seems careless to the extreme. It will only hurt them.

If you can't answer I understand. I just get baffled that these companies can function like this year after year.

Anyhow, thanks for trying to keep us updated, its much appreciated.

-Cell9

jaywalker2309
12th Apr 2005, 22:23
Thanks for the reply but you sidestepped my question ;)

why did they release it knowing there was a crashing issue? I can accuse them of trying to rush it (full version) to market so they can post their quarterly profits in time but releasing the demo just seems careless to the extreme. It will only hurt them.

If you can't answer I understand. I just get baffled that these companies can function like this year after year.

Anyhow, thanks for trying to keep us updated, its much appreciated.

-Cell9

We didnt find any crashing issue during development. When we read postings on forum we tried to recreate and couldnt. We sent code to nVidia who have access to a vast array of hardware and they are aiding us on nailling the problem.

As we couldnt find the issue in the demo, and we knew there was hopefully a fix in it for the ATI cards, we thought it wise to get the demo out there as soon as possible to at least alleviate the ATI users and get some feedback as to whether that helped or not.

crazygolf
12th Apr 2005, 22:46
:eek: only older video cards have problems... wel i have a brand new pc asus p5ad2 mainboard procc P4 3.4ghz 1024 ddr2 and an ATI RADEON EAX800xt.... and i have problems game crashes
this isnt the only game samething and worse with vivendi game rid**** return to butcher bay gamecrashes pc reboots ....its like i am in gamers hell... lady there told me i had to upgrade my card :eek: something to do with shading .... card doesnt support this ??? weird huh since its a card that cost a lousy 500 euros...

thats not strictly true, i have an ati 800xt platinum 256ddr and the game crashes still

jaywalker2309
12th Apr 2005, 22:53
thats not strictly true, i have an ati 800xt platinum 256ddr and the game crashes still

Which catalyst driver tho?

Cell9song
12th Apr 2005, 23:00
Hey Jay, BTW, did you get my email with the dxdiag attatchment? I sent it out this morning.

jaywalker2309
12th Apr 2005, 23:35
Hey Jay, BTW, did you get my email with the dxdiag attatchment? I sent it out this morning.

I saw a few mails come in with dxdiags hehe. Names on mails always different to forum names :)

crazygolf
13th Apr 2005, 23:22
I have the following:-
Provider ATI
Date 22/02/2005
Version 6.14.10.6517
Signed M$ HCL

Hope this helps

Togoth
2nd May 2005, 03:53
I have the same graphics issue with my ati 9200 but when I played the demo it didn' have the same graphics issues the demo worked fine.
would like to solve the problem but like everybody else ive tried all the drivers and none of them solve the problem. :(