PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: CD vs. DVD version for PC?

sonyack
20th Mar 2005, 12:52
Does anyone know if there will be a CD version, instead of DVD, for PC? I bought the DVD version the day it hit Best Buy in my area, and there were exactly 4 copies of the game in what is the second largest mall in America. But I had to return it as it would not play on my pretty good system. So I am waiting to see if finally some CD versions will ship to like EBX or CompUSA so I can play the game.

FesterSilently
22nd Mar 2005, 00:15
...but as far as your problem goes, keep an eye on this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?p=474349#post474349

Fester ;)

***EDIT***

Nevermind. I just noticed that you were the starter of the other thread. :rolleyes:

Jumpin_Jebus
22nd Mar 2005, 00:31
I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that a CD-Rom version of this game will, unfortunately, not be released. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. It's all a money saving decision. The Project: Snowblind install is 3.04GB in size. That would require 5 CD-Rom disks, versus the single DVD-Rom disk. Most video game publishers are leaning toward using DVD's now, as DVD-Rom drives are a lot cheaper than they were a few years ago. You can probably find a decent DVD-Rom drive for about $40-$60.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but at this point your only option is to install a DVD-Rom drive on your system to install and play Project: Snowblind.

jaywalker2309
22nd Mar 2005, 22:20
I can tell you with almost absolute certainty that a CD-Rom version of this game will, unfortunately, not be released. I could be wrong, but I don't think I am. It's all a money saving decision. The Project: Snowblind install is 3.04GB in size. That would require 5 CD-Rom disks, versus the single DVD-Rom disk. Most video game publishers are leaning toward using DVD's now, as DVD-Rom drives are a lot cheaper than they were a few years ago. You can probably find a decent DVD-Rom drive for about $40-$60.

I do apologize for the inconvenience, but at this point your only option is to install a DVD-Rom drive on your system to install and play Project: Snowblind.

I think his issue is related to the graphics not the dvd drive

sonyack
22nd Mar 2005, 23:25
Well, I have a pretty good DVD 52X Combo. The thing and my system plays DVD movies, but I don't have on hand a DVD game to check that out. My system [Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/ Corsair 256x2 DDR and Athlon XP 3000+ cpu] and the DVD-ROM really ought not to give issues. The nVidia drivers are 71.84, installed just before I bought the DVD version, and I am loathe to go back to the former ones as it is an unusual hassle with this card for some reason. I have already returned the game to BestBuy, so that's that.

I might be able to play the game if I can persuade a friend of mine to lend me one of his Xbox sets. Otherwise, I will either have to wait for some kind of patch, or not play the game :(

jaywalker2309
22nd Mar 2005, 23:33
Well, I have a pretty good DVD 52X Combo. The thing and my system plays DVD movies, but I don't have on hand a DVD game to check that out. My system [Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/ Corsair 256x2 DDR and Athlon XP 3000+ cpu] and the DVD-ROM really ought not to give issues. The nVidia drivers are 71.84, installed just before I bought the DVD version, and I am loathe to go back to the former ones as it is an unusual hassle with this card for some reason. I have already returned the game to BestBuy, so that's that.

I might be able to play the game if I can persuade a friend of mine to lend me one of his Xbox sets. Otherwise, I will either have to wait for some kind of patch, or not play the game :(

Did you try disabling the Full screen effects in the setup program from the shortcut under the start button?

I have a feeling it could be these new drivers (they came out just after we'd mastered the game)

sonyack
23rd Mar 2005, 00:37
Oh, before these posts came up, I had already returned the game to BestBuy, figuring, with the info I had at the time, that the game just will not play on my system. So I will wait for any patch that fixes whatever the issue is, or I will try to borrow an XBox. Or not play it. Grrr.

Many thanks to all for the help, and I will keep a sharp eye out for further developments.