PDA

View Full Version : TR for 2 ?

johnbegone
27th Feb 2005, 06:41
anyone interested in tandem TR gaming? a TR game that can be played by 2 together online or off. one doesnt exist. but if it did.

Lara Croft Online
27th Feb 2005, 09:40
TR is a single person game IMO but that doesn't mean an online thing
can't be created. I had an idea of Lara's Mansion updated of course
with 3D characters in the games you could pick to be. You could chat
live and interact with people all over the mansion wherever they were
hanging out. They could have contests for skills in lets say shooting or
archery and assorted assault courses where people could challenge each
other and it would be recorded where you stood. You could gain points
in the events to get better weapons or vehicles,skills etc you can use
to gain access to other more complexed rooms in the house and more
challenging courses. (Sigh but I doubt we'll see that anyday soon.)

Sophia Leigh
28th Feb 2005, 03:27
Why not? Then there would be a better reason to have Kurtis; but then again would a two player game still be tomb raider and wouldn't it effect the elements of the game too much. Could be an interesting concept for a spin-off game I guess.

johnbegone
28th Feb 2005, 05:05
I also believe that TR is a single player game in its purist form and far be it from me to suggest that that end in any way, rather a new added ave for gamers to play with and off each other for a more engaging sense of TR fellowship. I love the games as they are and would not see that end only added to. Other games out there have already demosrtated the needed tech.

johnbegone
1st Mar 2005, 20:45
the silence here is deafening. is that an answer in itself or would anyone care to debate this idea? I understand if youve heard it all before but this is my first forum and I havent. I really want to hear what you all have to say regardless if I like it or not. lets talk. thats what the forum is for. right?
talk keeps a forum alive.

susan
1st Mar 2005, 21:29
Boo!

See someone here afterall! ;)

I'd give it a go. I often play single player games like TR with friends and although its fun watching other people play (I enjoy it a lot), it can be frustrating when you have to hand the controller back because it's their turn. Much nicer if you could both make your way through the game together. They still need to keep the single player mode though because that first time through on your own is a special experience.

They were going to do something like this with the Resident Evil online game and I was really looking forward to it, but in the end it never happened. :rolleyes:

johnbegone
1st Mar 2005, 21:44
exactly! the single player mode is great but its also the reason my kids dont get involved. they cant wrestle the controls away from me for their turn. I get on the game and hours later its like oh hello or where is everybody? the single player mode should always continue but the idea of playing with a friend should be explored. I think the puzzles could become more complex, the play could split the raiders off on diff pathes to the same end to complete each level. diff switches having to be thrown together with diff challenging results. it could be really wild. you"d have to toss a coin to see gets to be Lara and who gets to be the apprentice, the old associate, the old mentor, the new assoc.
Lara was once an apprentice, remember? the idea of her mentoring a new raider is not far fetched.

susan
1st Mar 2005, 22:32
I'm sure they'll go this way eventually. Those huge multi-player online games sound like the ultimate in boredom relief and I can't see why TR won't benefit from going multi-player, although in a much more limited way. Having something/one "real" to interact with in the game just ups the immersion factor. And like you say, it can make the game bigger and more complex:

I think the puzzles could become more complex, the play could split the raiders off on diff pathes to the same end to complete each level. diff switches having to be thrown together with diff challenging results.
Yeah the possibilities are good if they apply them right.

the single player mode is great but its also the reason my kids dont get involved. they cant wrestle the controls away from me for their turn. I get on the game and hours later its like oh hello or where is everybody? :D :D It can be really difficult not to snatch the controller off them too if they do silly things like waste 3 whole medi-packs on a snake or something.

johnbegone
3rd Mar 2005, 20:25
Those huge multi-player online games sound like the ultimate in boredom relief and I can't see why TR won't benefit from going multi-player, although in a much more limited way.

I agree with that. the whole group thing wont work for TR. you know the old saying "two"s company. more than two would definitely ruin the experience.
been thinking of game play and .... for complexities....the two players could trigger hazards both for themselves and each other. currently you trigger hazards as you progress but with the random element thrown in you wont always be ready for a trap sprung behind you, under you, around you. just because you passed that caged monster a ways back doesnt mean he wont suddenly be released. or the floor wont give out, or an earthquake wont knock you from the rope. some ideas.

johnbegone
3rd Mar 2005, 20:42
seriously folks, I started this thread after reading some older threads and what some of you said about TR needing to evolve to miantain its appeal to the majority.. Ive said before that business follows money and to believe that TR will go on forever just because it has a faithful following is unlikely. It has to make money for its investors. If its falling behind the times it has to do some growing so we can continue to enjoy it into the hopefully distant future.
nows the time to think beyond TR7 TR8 TR9.......show your support for the game. Give up your ideas here, someone will listen.
I want to enjoy new versions of this game with my grandchildrens children.