PDA

View Full Version : Picked up my copy of Snowblind and played it : DON'T BELIEVE THE HYPE !!!!

UPS
23rd Feb 2005, 19:28
After playing the game on-line I came to realize that Snowblind is just an average fps that is far from a Halo killer. I was very disappionted with how the game looks. The game looks blurred and the colors washed out. I was expecting more from an xbox title. The game looks like it was ported directly from the PS2. Graphically the game is not on par with the top consoles game out today. Gameplay was also an area where the game falters. The controls are stiff and movement sluggish. (even after adjusting joystick sensitivity) The controls just don't seem right. I did like the fact that Snowblind offers a unique fps experience and not the same run of the mill shooter. The different classes and abilties are nice. Well my first impressions are that Snowblind does offer a good change of pace from all the other fps out there on the market with class/abilities opitions but in the end the look and contol of the game leaves much to be desired. I give it a 6.9.

imported_mike_g
23rd Feb 2005, 22:12
Considering that the game just arrived in stores a couple hours ago, that's a rather sweeping statement to make. All I can say is, on my monitor, the colors look great, and as far as the controls go, if I can move around in it, anyone can. I've had no trouble with them. Sorry, but I think you should take a longer look at the game, and perhaps as you get more used to them, the controls will be more enjoyable.

jaywalker2309
23rd Feb 2005, 22:47
Considering that the game just arrived in stores a couple hours ago, that's a rather sweeping statement to make. All I can say is, on my monitor, the colors look great, and as far as the controls go, if I can move around in it, anyone can. I've had no trouble with them. Sorry, but I think you should take a longer look at the game, and perhaps as you get more used to them, the controls will be more enjoyable.

and let people play thru the single player a bit before they hit the Multiplayer. Am sure it will give a whole different experience when its busier

Snakekid
23rd Feb 2005, 23:55
I haven't got to play the game yet so I can't say anything, but I think just because the controls and the visuals are bad, I don't think the game itself is bad. Plus, the graphics looks nice to me based on the screenshot atleast.

I'm looking forward to playing this game.

jEj
24th Feb 2005, 01:06
All these reviews concern the xbox/ps2 versions of the release, right? Not the PC (for which we still don't have a release date?)?

jaywalker2309
24th Feb 2005, 01:09
All these reviews concern the xbox/ps2 versions of the release, right? Not the PC (for which we still don't have a release date?)?

Yeh these are all ps2/xbox reviews.

Sandcrab
24th Feb 2005, 06:09
I played a few online games today. I am truly impressed with the graphics and smoothness of Project: Snowblind on my PS2 and flat screen TV. Colors are vivid and gameplay is actually enjoyable, online. Unlike some games, Project: Snowblind doesn't kill you on the first grenade and offers you a chance to heal at stations on the map, also giving you chances to re-supply your ammo. Okay, with that said, I hope people at least rent the game and see for themselves just how good, or bad (depending on their personal tastes) this game really is. Meet you in the game!

Bill "Sandcrab" C.
:D

75 Cent
24th Feb 2005, 15:29
well at first i thought the same thing but then after gettin a little better at the game i found it to be more fun and enjoyable but to each his own :)

Setsunayaki
25th Feb 2005, 07:52
FYI, I never buy console first person shooters for the following reasons.

1) Regular Televisions have maximun resolution of 640 x 480. However half the time its not that high. You can buy televisions that give you the FPS resolution demanded by gaming guilds and technology/gaming elitists.....for the small price of 1000 - 2000 dollars. Also unless a console game is progressive scan compatible it won't display at that resolution.

2) Special keyboards and high DPI mouses do not work on Consoles. To use all buttons on special keyboards and mouses you need to instal drivers which consoles don't allow you to.

Regarding PS2 and X-BOX owners

Don't complain. The creators of the game themselves went through serious trouble to allow consoles with 4 year old graphics cards to be able to run smoothly. The PS2 has 32MB for graphics, the X-box has a Geforce 3 core on 64MB graphics....which is what I was using in 2001 - 2002 before buying a radeon 9800 pro and soon to own an X850XT Platinum. Todays games require 128 - 256MB RAM in graphics cards and high performance accelerators.

Run that game at PC resolutions and both consoles would choke. They reduce the level of quality and detail in consoles since their performance are limited. Before you chose to reply and say I am full of it. I recall the time when there were gatherings against Both Sony and Microsoft because they wanted to make a next generation console for 600 dollars, but people got mad and now they are making consoles that cost less, but perform less as well.

Console gamers are the ones who chose the cheap way out and in the end the PC gamers, the ones who forked out the cash to build good systems will see a lot better performance and higher quality graphics with sharper textures....

I am looking forward to seeing the gameplay at 1024 x 768 x 32 anti alliased as well as 1280 x 1024 and 1600 x 1200 on PC.

dannymrtnz
28th Feb 2005, 21:31
Most people prefer gameplay to graphics anyway. There are few who won't like a good game just because the graphics aren't jaw dropping but really a game is meant more to be played than looked at. Nice a graphics are a plus but most people live with xbox type graphics.

Some people also don't have the hundreds of dollars to throw around every two years when graphic cards are updated, additional memory, etc. Some people need pay fopr car repairs, college and all of life's other extras.

Consider yourself lucky to be able to have an souped up computer. For the the rest of us, who consider ourselves lucky to have our consiole standard TV rezsolutuon will be fine, until we have to spend another 200-300 for a new console to last us 4 years if we're lucky.

Additionally, whiel aiming may be much easier using a mouse, I'll take analog sticks for controlling movement of the characters over the letters 'A''S''D''W' and ghaving to press 'Shift' + 'space' to crouch jump. But to each his own eh?

dannymrtnz
28th Feb 2005, 21:47
I have to agree with the original posters sentiment, "don't believe the hype" but for different reasons. While I feel the controls, once adjusted, are halo-esqe, the online portion is where the game falters. It's jerky, glitchy and laggy. Aiming at an opponent need not be a frustrating ordeal. They character animation while online look like epileptic monkeys on a crack and caffeine diet. They really need to patch that up. It reduces the game form one of skill to one of chance and picking a character with a shield or boost and makes it difficult on the eyes. You’ll often see characters ice-skate across the map, or bury their legs into the ground or just pull a disappearing trick and I’m not talking about the cloaking mod either.

It's really unfortunate, because this game could have been much more. Te online component had tons of potential that was never realized. The single player portion is fun but very short and doesn't even offer a change in difficulty setting to add even minor replayability.

If smaller companies like Crystal Dynamics want to compete with the 800 pound gorillas like Bungie, they really have to take more care and effort into the technical side of the game. Artistically and design wise the game delivered the good. The Environments are beautifully designed and original even if many of the textures are dumbed down to standards I don't even think PS2 users have seen in a couple years.

If you are like me and were looking forward to playing the online component of this game then you'll rpobably buy it no matter what I say. But be warned, the game sounds better than is. If oyu're used to smooth online gameplay, then you might want to rent first. PS2 users haven't had a gppd first person shooter onine so this despite its flaws may do well there.

Snakekid
1st Mar 2005, 04:51
I'm really worried that people who likes offline multiplayer more than online multiplayer, like me, will be left out in the cold. Snowblind is one of the examples. I would have liked this game so much more if it supported offline multiplayer, whether its co-op or just split screen.

PSBsuxx
1st Mar 2005, 05:06
This game is far unpar to anything I played since Golden Eye and that game was better I think so far. Boooooooo!!!! :mad:

Thanos1
1st Mar 2005, 05:42
Goldeneye was awesome. shut up and stop crying you dolt. Project snowblind is a pretty good game. yes it needs some things fixed. but i bet you cant name one FPS game(ps2 only cuz i dont play xbox much) that has NO problems with it. Be it glitches, hacks, cheats, flaws in the maps, or just plain bad features(no name on comm)

Give this game about another week to build up some sort of following and then judge the online game.

(Angel Of)RUIN
1st Mar 2005, 20:23
I rented it yesterday. The single player game is top notch I thought, but I only spent about 45 minutes with it and I've hardly played Halo 2....just really getting into the game. The sequences where you start getting your powers are pretty cool.

Multiplayer on the other hand.......reminded me of Medal of Honor Allied Assault, and that is not a good thing. The movement is twitchy ( I may need to just turn the sensativities down ) and even when you are close to someone they take up little space on the screen. Combine that with the twitchy controls and you have a game that just isn't much fun online. Also add to this the fact that each class you select has special powers, the main one being the one with quick reflexes where everybody runs around on crack.....in short it is pretty hard to hit the crack heads cause they are small, fast, and you don't have very good control. Also, there just are not very many games going on.

I will play more this week but so far I am not impressed with multiplayer. I will be much more likely to play this game for single player and just return it to blockbuster when I am done. I will not buy this game.

Snakekid
2nd Mar 2005, 00:31
well as long as the singleplayer is good i dont really care, because i dont like multiplayer that much anyways. but i think other people will complain that the online part is glitchy.

SwamiG8R
2nd Mar 2005, 19:49
Goldeneye was awesome. shut up and stop crying you dolt. Project snowblind is a pretty good game. yes it needs some things fixed. but i bet you cant name one FPS game(ps2 only cuz i dont play xbox much) that has NO problems with it. Be it glitches, hacks, cheats, flaws in the maps, or just plain bad features(no name on comm)

Give this game about another week to build up some sort of following and then judge the online game.

You dont read too well, do you?
He was praising Goldeneye....

Bloody_Eagle
2nd Mar 2005, 22:13
lol.

what do you think of yourself? giving that kind of a score playing the game for 2 hours. you seem nice, wanna review games for gamespot?

Cathedral
2nd Mar 2005, 23:25
I have played Project Snowblind to the point where I Can assure you I'm a threat to other players.
Now if you dont like this game, No one is stopping you, no one. I seriously suggest though, that the lackluster reviews people are giving...well just
Leave the reviews up to gamespot, egm, psm...and xbox magazine.
Because every major magazine in my eyes, has scored it a 8 or higher, and I feel in this world, everyone wants to be a rebel, and people speak way too soon.

But for all the hate on this game, let a player of 15 hours, while not a lot....15 hours online for the past 3 days, tell you the truth, thats 5 hours a day...online, and with work, that should explain what i feel about the game. For people who cant read between the lines though, I will share my feelings.

I used to be a player of Tribes Aerial Assault, a Cult-Classic type of game, this game had a good 7000 player following, on and off these players visited the forums and made serious clans. My name was D3ad2r1ght$, some of you all may know me as D2R.
The reviews, i think the average was 71? or so, but i didnt buy the game based on reviews, I spent 50$ because I didnt have DSL. Completely surprised by the outcome of the gameplay, I actually began to play this 4-8 hours a day until I was the best.

Then it happened.......WWW.POWOW/taa.com, the person who made it? Just a random guy from OHIO named MAYHEM and SKULLI, and the first member...D2R. I was optimistic, and although i was the only member, Mayhem and skulli were smart, putting the title of the site as a game server.
What happened? 3 months later they had enough following to get a solid Url.
The site changed to WWW.tribesaa.com and the following began to get bigger.

It started out with one, ONE ....all it took was one, and it turned into 7000 SOLID players, not 1000...or 100 players that everyone knows. There were players no one knew, coming out of the wood works....

On top of that, there were casual players, you know the ones who dont visit the forums....the ones with girlfriends i guess?

So eventually it turned into something i never thought, and my first clan was EX. What happened? i left haha, and i became known as a clan hoppper...for leaving one clan, but what was so surprising was....ex wasnt the only clan.

I had 30 or so other clans with forums, and leaders, and 10 or more members to run to. I was happy and finnally i knew that this game was going to last really long.
So eventually Mayhem Organized clan tournaments, and what did that create?
GTT TOURNAMENT I, probably the best organized clan fights i have ever experienced in any online game..

THIS game didnt even have headsets and we had clan battles every friday like it was a ritual. we had little commands we could send that were important and all we needed, but no headsets....

the fact is plain n simple, people take things for granted.....and that gtt tournament went up to 35......I think even higher, but i had quit....as it had been 2 years practically...

So i played 2 years.....and in 20 or more tournaments in that game....
At first, nah i didnt like it that much..
I got stuck on the 70 reviews from many magazines...

But i played it, got used to it, and took a chance.....
and it turned out wonderful....

Now FOR MY review project snowblind.

Cathedral
2nd Mar 2005, 23:29
So now, on taa...we had to establish a base, and get the developers to come to the forums....
The TAA DEVELOPER RICOCHET....now developing AREA 51....yea ....
He stumbled upon our taa site...

but mike G is already here....

ricochet listened...he asked what was needed, and eventually spent his own time fixing our game...and adding things
He asked us what was needed in area 51, and actually listened....now ....the results are in, and the game is getting rave reviws...and its not even out yet..

So now i will put my review on this game

Cathedral
2nd Mar 2005, 23:47
Project Snowblind.
Offline Score-9.4/10
Online Score-8.9/10

A true review, from probably one of the most dangerous players in the game.
When i first played project snowblind, I felt the past being opened again. i saw the server listings and it reminded me of tribes. Upon joining a game, i was distraught and overwhelmed with the classes, i hadnt read the guide, and i hadnt killed anyone. I died 7 times with 0 kills my first game.

I didnt come running to these forums though, not 2 hours after playing...heck not 5 hours after playing..
I didnt express my uneducated oppinion about this game, just so i could create tension, no i gave it a chance.

What a chance I took. I rented the game first, then I eventually ran out and bought it.
No im not an anxious gamer, when i play games, I play to be the best.
I dont just buy games, i read reviews and i make a serious time investment.

So what did i think when i turned this game on?
First of all, The graphics? Well i will give taht a 8, barely. First of all, i love the texture personally and i feel that each and everything in the game had time spent on it, and personally online...any game that looks as good as project snowblind...deserves serious credit, because i dont think it is very bad....there is worse games offline, for instance....tribes? that game had horrible graphics, but in my oppinion, graphics dont make a game.....the designers do, and reviews dont make it better, you do.

So ok, the graphics, better than avg, and good enough ...actually great enough to keep me playing for months...if it was just based on graphics...but it isnt.

Gameplay 9.5/10
Now this is the bread of the game. I expected a killzone.
I expected to turn this game on, to recognize a steep learning curve and to take a one shot sniper kill and die in the first 15 seconds.
I expected to just have a simple gun and grenades, but i got so much more.

First off, i had to figure out what each class did, as far as i knew....after i had taken that loss with 0 kills and 7 deaths....i had no clue what the hell i was playing as.
So i killed myself 5 times, and figured out each class carefully, and i found it...

see, i had collected all 99 frogs in metal gear solid 3 to get invisible, and when i died that last time and went sniper.... i pressed the triangle button. Immediately i was in shock. The fact that i could be invisible gave me so many ideas, so i ran with it. A long with that gave me a sniper rifle, I never was a melee close range fighter in any game, i always snipe, so i took it out.
As soon as i got my first kill, i took it to the streets, and now between 2 accounts i haver over 750 sniper kills, and when you realize how hard that is to get, you will know im a worthy advocate to be reviewing this game.

but what did i do, that most others dont even glance or think about? I actually tested each and every class and individually thought which one i wanted to be, and i got better with my sniper, 2nd by 2nd.

So i was getting 14 or so kills and no deaths, then i started to move more, and i think....i am the deadliest sniper currently in this game....so i took pride in that, while everyone is using mines and rockets...shotguns and flechettes...i loved the sniper...

then i played ashokas garden, where i found a mechassault vehicle...immediately i was in awe, of the type and size of this vehicle....i knew, that this could create so many situations......snipe....under pressure, jump in vehicle....get out.....camoflage....gone.

Now enough of my gaming, why did i just tell you all that ?
because i want you to realize the amount of things you can do in this game.
there is no limit to blocking bullets, freezing time, invisibility.....and also...

there is no limit to gettting better and actually PLAYING the game ....without immediately trashing it...

so quickly, what else inspired me?
well the lvls are so big....unlike killzone, you dont die every 30 seconds....even if your the best player, in killzone..your garanteed to die, its like a ritual there...and i was damn good....

also...sniping...the lvls are so big and spread out...you can hide somewhere...and people will have no idea where you are the entire game...it adds a lvl of fear..to know you can kill..and they can die...at any second...which also surprised me....

the size of the lvls...the strategy and my love for the uncommon styles that fps games can bring...brought me to project snowblind....

oh theres so much more i could say...

but i will leave you with this...

If you want a game that can add a entirely new dimension to fps online gaming.....
whether your bad or good....get used to it, i know youll like it..

and if your bad? drop the game, no big deal...but dont come in the forums trashing it.....you know why?

because in life, ...everything is about the decisions you make...and you decided to buy this game...dont ruin it for others..

your potentially holding back someone who might actually end up loving it..

-Peace

(Angel Of)RUIN
7th Mar 2005, 20:44
Cathedral,

This is the first ps2 game I've played online since TAA, matter of a fact I play TAA still, and I came here from gamerplug.com Now I don't have the desire nor the sheer gobs of time to fully respond to your post as it should be responded too, but I just want you to know that people should come to forums and post their inital feelings about a game. I personally felt that this game is not an enjoyable experience for my style of play. The contrast between characters and background is piss poor and the characters which have the super speed ability seriously limit the enjoyment of the game for me.

Why should I come here and post this? Because it is a true honest review of the game. For someone who invests a lot of time researching prior to purchasing a game you would certainly find this helpful, wouldn't you?

Exactly.

GAMBlT
7th Mar 2005, 22:14
After playing the game on-line I came to realize that Snowblind is just an average fps that is far from a Halo killer. I was very disappionted with how the game looks. The game looks blurred and the colors washed out. I was expecting more from an xbox title. The game looks like it was ported directly from the PS2. Graphically the game is not on par with the top consoles game out today. Gameplay was also an area where the game falters. The controls are stiff and movement sluggish. (even after adjusting joystick sensitivity) The controls just don't seem right. I did like the fact that Snowblind offers a unique fps experience and not the same run of the mill shooter. The different classes and abilties are nice. Well my first impressions are that Snowblind does offer a good change of pace from all the other fps out there on the market with class/abilities opitions but in the end the look and contol of the game leaves much to be desired. I give it a 6.9.
your tv must be a peice of [edit] the graphics look awesome on my tv or maybe because im playing a ps2 not the xbox and my controls are perfect, this game kills halo, halo = 25000 shots to kill and project snowblind = 10 shots to kill, then theres my all time favorite online game socom 2= 3 shots to kill. looking forward to socom 3 and battlefield modern combat.

[Yo, please don't circumvent the language filter with clever l33t speak- as bad language is against our rules. Thanks a ton- clumsy]

dannymrtnz
10th Mar 2005, 00:48
About the graphics thing, this game does have pretty bad textures. They may have been alright for an older PS2, but this is 2005 and its especially noticable on the Xbox.

Conceptually, the graphics are tight. Very Ghost in the Shell/Blade Runner type of thing, but it is apparent they went for the lowest common denomenator by using such low resolution PS2ish textures. Fortunately, the graphics aren't so bad they affect gameplay. From a distance the games various structures look pretty awesome but the lack of detail becomes apparent after closer inspection.

(This refers to the single player portion of the game)

shifty07
10th Mar 2005, 02:55
i personally love this game but the mics piss me off and the cheaters.....hmmm plz dont turn out like socom.... cuz there are ppl that teleport and run FASTer than anyone without augmentation....they run faster than the time augment.

GAMBlT
14th Mar 2005, 02:19
i personally love this game but the mics piss me off and the cheaters.....hmmm plz dont turn out like socom.... cuz there are ppl that teleport and run FASTer than anyone without augmentation....they run faster than the time augment.
just lag. I've seen people floating around and teleporting too, I'm thinking its just lagg and when it happens I just leave and host my own game, I do wish they would put the hydra in more online team deathmatch maps.its an awesome vehicle but you only get it in 1 team deathmatch map. I dont know why the mics piss you off just mute annoying lil kids. I do wish they had a vote or boot to get rid of the punks in the game I've only come across 1 or 2 jerks everyone else seems pretty cool so far.

tharse
3rd Apr 2005, 04:22
I can't figure out why there are SO MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT LIKE TO BASH NEW GAMES WHEN THEY COME OUT.

I am your average game player that loves FPS games and this one provides an excellent single player experience. I'm not one that likes to play multiplayer online games because nost of the time the old-timers with experience ain't got enough patience to teach someone the ropes.

So, I say kudos to Eidos for an enjoyable gaming experience. Keep up the good work! :cool: