PDA

View Full Version : FFXIV: Eorzea

Rancyz
28th Aug 2013, 13:55
Thanalan you can fall off cliffs and you either die, or your hp goes to 1, you can go and travel into rivers and crevices. But in The Black Shroud there is hardly or none of that.

Thanalan ftw!

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 14:30
Having started in Ul'Dah I'm also biased towards Thanalan, the area's also seem a lot more 'open' than the black shroud, although the la noscea areas are pretty big too

bulldog2712
28th Aug 2013, 16:02
thought this could help some people out

seeing no map was included in my copy of game I ordered

http://igoumedia.com/finalfantasy14/2013/07/04/ffxiv-a-realm-reborn-world-map/

Hippy_Pickle
28th Aug 2013, 16:06
Nice find! There's also a good city map here http://www.ffxivguild.com/maps/

I was slightly disappointed that there was no map or anything, standard affair nowadays, even the manual isn't long and only contains setup instructions.

ttuskey
28th Aug 2013, 16:15
That's really nice, thanks! Helps cut through some of the confusion as to where zones are in relation to each other.

bulldog2712
28th Aug 2013, 16:40
you would think they would at least include a map folder on dvd to print
personally I like to have a map to look at while playing

Rancyz
28th Aug 2013, 19:51
La Noscea would be my second home o3o

Reibis
29th Aug 2013, 09:02
??? why is it even there, confusing random and useless just random ass stuff, doesn't make any sense what so ever, I haven't seen something stupid like this, even alt f4'd multiple times because it's so stupid and misleading

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 09:10
Without proper context then this is just a needless rant. What exactly is your issue with the map? The only issue I have is that it would be good to have the quest markers show on the mini-map when the quest leads to another area. When you full screen the map then it does show a marker to other areas but not something you can follow on the mini-map. This however was not the case with some of the 'Waking Sands' quests (waking or walking? can't remember lol), as even on full screen it doesn't mark where the area transition is.

Reibis
29th Aug 2013, 09:15
So you take quest and it's in another city, how do you get there?
Next quest leads you to next zone, how the **** do you know the path to get there?
You complete quest and you need to turn in main city, what do you need to do to know which way to go? keep clicking stupid enterances and guess your way to there

I can't belive they can make something so simple as map beyond stupid

PS: What's point of world map? It doesn't give ANY INFORMATION go check it if you don't belive

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 09:25
Now that's a proper way to put it which I can understand. It's basically like I was saying where it should have markers that lead you to other areas. The only way to really know where you're going is to look at the quest in your journal and click map, this will then show you the map of the area where you need to go. If it's somewhere you haven't discovered and can't teleport to then look at the maps transition points (to other areas) and find the route.

In example, you have a quest that when checking the map (within the quest in journal) it tells you its in Eastern Thanalan, however you haven't been there yet and have only been to Central Thanalan. You can click the world map option (left side of map) and go to Central then look for the transition point for Eastern Thanalan. Yes I know this is a bit arse about tit way of doing things but that's unfortunately how it works at the moment.

The World map will show quest markers when you click into the various areas, so if you had active quests in Thanalan then going into that will show quest markers on the relevant areas.

TheRealKraggy
29th Aug 2013, 10:20
So you take quest and it's in another city, how do you get there?
Next quest leads you to next zone, how the **** do you know the path to get there?
You complete quest and you need to turn in main city, what do you need to do to know which way to go? keep clicking stupid enterances and guess your way to there
Thankfully, FFXIV isn't like Rift, WOW etc. where you're lead by the hand, in this game you get to EXPLORE and discover things on your own. :rolleyes:

I realise this can be a tad bewildering to someone who's only game experience meant the brain could be disengaged and the game played simply by following map markers and locating the pretty glittering items/mobs you need, but try it, you may find it's actually more fun when you have to find things out for yourself. ;)

A tip though: please don't even try playing FFXI, trust me, it isn't for you.

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 10:25
Thankfully, FFXIV isn't like Rift, WOW etc. where you're lead by the hand, in this game you get to EXPLORE and discover things on your own. :rolleyes:

I totally agree that the game shouldn't be leading you by the hand and point out the precise points you need to go, exploration is the key. Plus the game actually makes you more social as you ask people for help which makes it a very social game.

My only gripe is the waking (walking?) sands bit where if you've not been there or only been there once you may forget where it is and it doesn't really tell you where it is. A quest marker in vesper bay would have helped so you know where the transition point is in the building. I don't want to be led but that confused the hell out of the wife as she couldn't find it anywhere lol

Gomly1980
29th Aug 2013, 11:19
I quite like the map, reminds me a bit of FFXII.

To be fair, if you have a quest in another area, it does put a big gold shield right where the transition point is you need. Other than saying "go here you fool" it can't do much more.

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 11:28
I quite like the map, reminds me a bit of FFXII.

To be fair, if you have a quest in another area, it does put a big gold shield right where the transition point is you need. Other than saying "go here you fool" it can't do much more.

I find that the combat system (minus the gambits) and maps etc very much like FFXII.

As for the big gold shield this is exactly right WITH the only exception of quests inside the Waking Sands building, as it shows nothing on the map since it's not the normal 'dotted line' transition.

Rancyz
29th Aug 2013, 11:38
This thread is probably not rant because the map tells you which way you have to go to reach the next city. It places markers for you, or the alternative is to zoom in on the map and it'll show you town names. This thread is pointless, I think people these days just want to have everything served on a plate to them.
OP did you try talking to people on the game? You should ask for help in-game if you haven't already.

Densel13
29th Aug 2013, 13:21
The map system is great IMO, never had a single problem, its retard proof.....

TheRealKraggy
29th Aug 2013, 14:04
The map system is great IMO, never had a single problem, its retard proof.....
Methinks the existence of this thread may suggest otherwise. ;)

Reibis
29th Aug 2013, 14:41
Map that doesn't tell you where you are compared to quest where you have to go, It's amusing you're defending game's awful feature just because it's Final Fantasy come on be realistic and compare this stupid map to any other single MMO, I'm not asking it to make a line where I have to turn the quest, I want world map and map before world to be clear

HeiligeHarmonie
29th Aug 2013, 15:01
It's true that the map could probably use a little updating, but unless it's changed drastically in the final release from what it was in Beta (because I haven't been able to get into a server yet to find out ha!), it really shouldn't be that difficult to use. Playing the beta was my first experience with an MMO at all, and it didn't take me long at all to figure out how to use the map effectively. I had no problem getting anywhere (but maybe it was my fresh perspective that let me do that). All you've really got to do its slow down for a moment, look at it, figure out how it works, and adapt. Just calm down and everything will be all right.

Rancyz
29th Aug 2013, 15:02
Methinks the existence of this thread may suggest otherwise. ;)
lmao too funny

I want world map and map before world to be clear
It's called clicking on the map or using the D-pad, you should try it sometime.http://skylineownersusa.com/forums/images/smilies/facepalm.gif
http://i.imgur.com/GcyWZrb.jpg
#trollthread

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 15:11
Map that doesn't tell you where you are compared to quest where you have to go, It's amusing you're defending game's awful feature just because it's Final Fantasy come on be realistic and compare this stupid map to any other single MMO, I'm not asking it to make a line where I have to turn the quest, I want world map and map before world to be clear
I have literally no idea what you're raving about, the map works, clicking on the round mini-map will bring up a larger map (window can also be resized) which DOES show where to go for quests and then there is a further world map button on the left of that screen that will show all the areas which you can click on and go into etc.

The most important tool is selecting MAP on the actual quest within your journal which will show you exactly where you need to go. As to physically getting there, that's the entire point of RPG's, exploring and getting there is half the fun!

TheRealKraggy
29th Aug 2013, 15:51
You said we're defending it because it's an FF .. personally the only other game I've played is FFXI .. we're defending it against the idiotic idea it's "the worst map system".

I have no idea what "I want world map and map before world to be clear" means, care to try that in English? My GUESS is you want the world map visible before you explore it, aka. no 'fog of war', if that's what you mean .. I'm not surprised you do.

Densel13
29th Aug 2013, 16:03
I just dont see how anybody could be having trouble with the map, all you gotta do is check the quest, click on Map and it tells you where you gotta go, its so simple. If you want someone to hold your hand and take you to there, thats a different story, but saying that its not clear? I cant agree. If you're referring to mini map then thats also different, depending on mini map to show you everything would not be wise, the big map shows you everything though, havent had trouble finding anything. I've played lots of MMOs, this has got to be the easiest one yet. Not even WoW made it this easy. I dont see what you mean by a map that tells you where the quest is and where you currently are....again all you'd have to do is check your map which tells you where you are and then check the quest, click on MAP and it'll tell you where you have to be in order to complete the quest. Getting there from where you are is up to you, im sure theres more than 1 route

Hippy_Pickle
29th Aug 2013, 16:06
I have no idea what "I want world map and map before world to be clear" means, care to try that in English? My GUESS is you want the world map visible before you explore it, aka. no 'fog of war', if that's what you mean .. I'm not surprised you do.

I didn't even think of that! hahahaha, un-fogged maps, where's the fun in that?! Again this is the point of exploration as it opens up the map. If he wants open maps I think he should go back to COD :D

TheRealKraggy
29th Aug 2013, 18:54
Turbine dumbed-down LOTRO some time after launch by removing the FoW, it totally destroyed the sense of exploration one has when one doesn't know before-hand what's over that next hill. As a 'journey not the arrival' kind of player that really bummed me out when expansions came out after.

Lovstokuddle
29th Aug 2013, 23:44
Help? What's that?? They wont even answer simple questions. And I can see now why ppl don't ask for help. everything given on a plate? come on
? come on

Reibis
29th Aug 2013, 23:46
http://imgur.com/aCVmnJl

http://imgur.com/ZlPDN2i

http://imgur.com/tz4Fvtc

http://imgur.com/9I0V5n

See the difference? How am I supposted to know which way to go to get to certain place that is not close to me.

Same **** with website, preordering from their website and whole account managing system and awful customer service

Lovstokuddle
29th Aug 2013, 23:47
nice help there NOT

ArkCansada
29th Aug 2013, 23:50
I find the map VERY clunky to actually use on the PS3, but once you get used to the controls it works perfectly well.

As for hand holding...y'all should try Runes of Magic and a couple of the Korean MMO's I've played. In one I remember particularly well (I -think- it was ROM) you could click your quest journal, click on the quest target, and it would walk your character to the destination FOR you.

WhiteWallz
30th Aug 2013, 00:00
mapping system is fine
one recommendation though is to put the questing icons at the zoning area instead of on the name
and name organization could be a little better and better area suggestions
its hard completing the hunters log searching through an area to find out you have to go through a sub area

Hippy_Pickle
30th Aug 2013, 07:46
I find the map VERY clunky to actually use on the PS3, but once you get used to the controls it works perfectly well.

This is one of the reasons I use a mouse for my PS3! I agree that navigating it with the pad isn't great so I would highly recommend using a mouse, any USB one should work :)

TheRealKraggy
30th Aug 2013, 07:57
See the difference? How am I supposted to know which way to go to get to certain place that is not close to me.
It's a time-consuming but fun process called EXPLORING. The map could have some QoL improvements certainly, like user-defined markers etc. as in FFXI, but its perfectly fine for what is needed.

I'll say no more to you, clearly brain engagement is hard for some .. enjoy whatever other MMO has a map system that gives you the hand-holding you want.

Dong-Zhuo
30th Aug 2013, 08:17
Good thing you didn't played Everquest. There was no map feature. You either had to get a copy from the internet or just memorize. I still have a lot of that game memorized on how to get where. And I haven't played it for close to ten years.

Edeien
30th Aug 2013, 08:25
i never played ff 11 nor ff 14 before but since start of the game, i never had a single issue with the map, you better learn how to use it