PDA

View Full Version : Does Lara Croft encourage sexism?

MissLara2U
14th Feb 2005, 20:54
Lara Croft bounces across the screen and as the camera focuses on her every jiggle, the player cannot help but notice her enormous breasts, overshadowed only by the size of her gun. Characters such as the heroine of the video game "Tomb Raider" have provoked outrage among the academic community and citizen groups.

Five years ago, Brenda Laurel and other game developers tried to make "girl-friendly" games, but Mattel bought Laurel's company, buried her product and the girl-game debate went underground. Now, researchers are trying to integrate video games into education and concern over Lara Croft and her companions is emerging again.

FULL ARTICLE (http://www.wpherald.com/storyview.php?StoryID=20050214-015624-5010r)

M.

dhama
14th Feb 2005, 21:02
I can only say that they haven't played it, perhaps if they did, they'd see that such focus plays very little a part, if at all, in such interesting gameplay. ;)

Solange
14th Feb 2005, 21:14
I always chuckle when I read articles like that. How little they know!

My mom, now closing in on 60, was the one who told me to play TR, as it was so nice to play a strong female character for a change. In this forum, I think about 50% of the raiders are female. Most girls I've talked to and asked why they like TR tell me that (besides gameplay) they like the fact that Lara is a strong, pretty and independent female character. Over at trle.net, much more than half of the custom players seem to be female. I doubt very much that all us gals spend the time looking at her tits while we shoot mutants and spiders! I certainly do not.

So what the people in this article seem worried about, namely that the sexism in TR will put women off computer games, just doesn't seem to be true.

To put it in other words: Rubbish!!!

CatSuit&Ponytail
14th Feb 2005, 21:38
... again.

Yep. Tired old kneejerk reactionary twaddle. Sure, she can be bent in other media to be a victim, but that's only in the minds of those who want her to be that already. The reality of the fictional character Lara Croft is one of strength, independance, ingenuity and beauty.

CyCro
14th Feb 2005, 21:55
I doubt very much that all us gals spend the time looking at her tits while we shoot mutants and spiders! I certainly do not.

Believe me, neither do I, as it's virtually impossible for two reasons:

1. The 3rd person cam view doesn't show them unless she's cornered with her back to the wall which is not the case when you shoot or run around most of the time.

2. Shooting at enemies while exploring her anatomy would be quite ephemeral as you'll get killed too soon.

3. It's not why I play the game in the first place. :p

Sophia Leigh
15th Feb 2005, 00:01
Solange and Catsuit&ponytail sum it up exactly.

EddyBones
15th Feb 2005, 00:19
Don't people have better things to do than analyze video games? You'd think they would be more intelligent than to waste their time on something so trivial.

Jorge22
15th Feb 2005, 04:14
"...outrage among the academic community and citizen groups"? Sheesh! You know, you just gotta love America! All the best things and all the worst things come from there... But I guess maybe they're jealous cause Lara's an European aristocrat! :p

jso2897
15th Feb 2005, 15:29
It would be funny, if it wasn't such a sad comment on our contemporary state of intellectual and philosophical decline. There seems to be no aspect of life, no matter how mundane or picayune, that the PC patrol can be kept out of these days.

am_vanquish
16th Feb 2005, 19:52
boy, you'd think an arse kicking femme would be viewed as a godsent and a heroine, but no, it's sexist.....which would explain all the FMALE fans she has, right?? lol...one chick's opinion

LARAMANIAC
17th Feb 2005, 00:19
It's so sad! I thought this arguement had been done. On more than one occasion I might add. It's so simple to speed read a good novel, but it's far more intriguing to truely enjoy the story. These people should actually play Tomb Raider before they voice an opinion. :rolleyes:

MissLara2U
17th Feb 2005, 00:32
It's so sad! I thought this arguement had been done.

Agreed. Time over.

Gets folk talking tho. :)

M.

Tipsko
17th Feb 2005, 15:06
Unlike you would think cause of my sig, I think it's all nonsense. I'm from the male species and I don't play tomb raider because lara has this great figure. Besides that she is 'just' a computer animated character, I think it's stupid to go for the looks of a game figurine rather than for the game itself.

Enako
17th Feb 2005, 15:12
i hate games that try to be TOO girl-friendly, cause usually that just means they make the games easy, we are not all crap at games you know. Lara doesnt promote sexism, just big boobs, we dont al have big boobs you know

Lia67
23rd Feb 2005, 15:39
Sheesh, Lara is not the only video game character that is well endowed. I mean what's next, a Psychological evaluation ? :rolleyes:

willard3
23rd Feb 2005, 16:18
Now that I'm slightly more anime-literate, I am now tending to think of the TR games as sort of an anime-type-thing. The big boobs and stuff is just fan service. Lots of animes have fan service, but that (usually) doesn't make the series bad as a whole.
Now that I'm done sounding like a total geek, I'll just go hide in my room and play some FFX. :D

trplayer
27th Feb 2005, 11:14
The people who say such things, and try to 'ban' video games, and get special ratings are pathetic low-life hypocrites! They simple want to complain! If they cared anything about the well-being of others, they would be donating food to starving children, helping educate people about disease prevention, or simply volunteering in some other way.

But NO!!! They feel it is best to make an attempt to step on our freedoms as though they own them. If these people don't like the games, they don't have to play them, and if they don't want their children to play the games, then they don't have to let their children play them--their children will just grow up to be as pathetic as them! But there is no reason that they have to try and act as if it is their job to raise other people's children.

But, back to Tomb Raider:

Yes, she has big breasts... wait a minute... she only has one big long one... its not even realistic! So, who cares. People perhaps overlook the fact that Lara seems more often to outwit her enemies than she does 'sex' them to death.

I play Tomb Raider because it is fun. It has all the elements of a great puzzle/adventute/action game rolled into one. It is more than just a pointless shoot-em-up type games, but it has violent elements. It is more than just a boring point-'n'-click puzzle-solving game, but it has its puzzles. As for adventure... WOW! The places in Tomb Raider are the most beautiful I have ever seen in a game.

Folks, we've come a long way since Pong and Space Wars... lets celebtrate, not critisize.

John Carter
28th Feb 2005, 02:27
"Does Lara Croft encourage sexism?" Hmm....I must deeply ponder this deep question, which reaches to the innermost deepness of all the deep things every deeply thought....

I dunno. Does a Papal bear pontificate in the woods?

(disclaimer note for these politically correct times-the author deeply respects both Popes and bears and in no way intends to belittle nor besmirch the sterling reputations of both these fine public institutions.)

Now lessee, what good TRLE level is out now? Cya!

johnbegone
28th Feb 2005, 06:11
just read the article. they dont even claim to have the truth, just a theory about why girls achieve less in comp science than boys. just a theory! is this even news worthy? they have identified a problem and suggested without solid proof that the gaming is the reason. talk about a witch hunt!
true, people who make games follow a demand. it makes money. Money comes from good investments not speculation.... let these people put up their own cash and assume their own risks.

GoranAgar
28th Feb 2005, 09:09
I didn't bother reading what this "journalist" has to say about my favorite game. It is so rare that these people actually inform properly.

Anyone remember that "Leathal and Loaded" thing? Those people came to our forum looking for Tomb Raider fans to be interviewed. And look who they picked out of this wonderful crowd of sane people. This "Nude Raider" fanatic. But somehow they forgot to mention that he only represents a minority. ... Thanks for giving people that kind of picture about us.

johnbegone
28th Feb 2005, 21:57
that article also compared the "sims" to regular gaming. IMO apples and oranges. I dont view any games as escape so much as role playing. acting if you will. getting to step into the shoes of someone you are not or not allowed by routine life to play. the sims, why game at all if the goal is to play a person you can play in the real world anytime? in games we get be who we want to be, who we can be, who we feel we should be---out of ordinary bounds. actors who need no audience only the need to express themselves to themselves. I think it helps us define ourselves. my wife calls it a waste of time but even she likes to play hunting games!

rimfire
1st Mar 2005, 06:08
These PC people have too much time on their hands and make a career out of griping. If they don't like the game don't buy it. Leave the rest of the world alone! I'm no more interested in their opinions than they are in ours.

Pong? Anyone played "Hunt the Wumpus" lately? I found it on my drive a couple days ago.

No animals were harmed in the posting of this reply.

johnbegone
1st Mar 2005, 06:20
I'm not interested in thier opinions either except that they would like the rest of us to pay for research and developement of girl friendly games. they want to make this an issue and have others pay as usual.