PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Photoshop

Johnny
3rd Feb 2005, 20:02
Hi, everyone! It's been a LONG time since I've logged on the Eidos TR Forums. I love the new look by the way. Anyway, I'm having some trouble with Photoshop. I'm working with an Angel of Darkness wallpaper with an all-black background. I'm trying to erase the background only (to make it transparent), but I don't know where to start. :confused: Some people have told me to use the eraser tool, but I'm looking more for a professional look.

Thanx,
Johnny

MissLara2U
3rd Feb 2005, 20:19
Use the "Select" tool to highlight the background. Then CTL C, CTL N (new document), then set size parameters, and select TRANSPARENT background. Then CTL V.

Lara will now be on a transparent background. You can find tips on using Photoshop here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tips/photoshop.html

b/w congrats! Adobe Photoshop is simply awesome!

M.

Solange
3rd Feb 2005, 20:21
Good to see you Johnny! :)

I'm NOT an expert, but this is how I've been told to do this. Duplicate layer in bottom right corner, delete the original layer and work with the copy. For some reason unknown to me this doesn't work with the original... I think. Lol. If I remember correct, parts of the image will be locked with the original layer.

Then either use the magic wand tool if the background you have now is just one colour, and select all of it, then press delete.

Or use the polygonal lasso tool (second from top left row). Step around everything you want deleted with that. You can go outside the image, that won't matter. When an area is selected, press "delete". Do it in several steps, or you will get mad if you accidentally chop Lara's head off or something and you have to start from top.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, I'm not too good at PS, but when I've had to do something I've used either of these ways, and the result is better and it is MUCH easier to use than the erase tool!

Edit: And I see MissLara2U is faster than me! :D That way is probably better than mine! ;)

MissLara2U
3rd Feb 2005, 20:24
Hi Solange. Initial layer is "background" which cannot be set to transparent. Additional layers are transparent enabled. That's why it won't work on original.

MissLara2U
3rd Feb 2005, 20:25
Hehe. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/forums/graemlins/wave.gif How are you today?

Solange
3rd Feb 2005, 20:40
Ok, thanks! :)

Damn I struggled with that some times when I forgot to duplicate... :o Lol.

How I am? Or Johnny? :D

Other than a very sore throat, things are fine, thanks! :) And you? Still happy about Google? ;)

MissLara2U
3rd Feb 2005, 20:48
LOL! Oh I'm over the moon about Google syndicating our content. :) I've had a stupid grin on my face for two days now! ;)

Sorry to hear about your sore throat. U need some of these perhaps. :D

http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/11247/200.jpg

Xcom
3rd Feb 2005, 22:03
Just use Magic Eraser. It has point & click interface, so to speak.

http://www.crosswinds-cadre.net/images/phtshp5_screenshot8.jpg

Johnny
4th Feb 2005, 00:32
Use the "Select" tool to highlight the background. Then CTL C, CTL N (new document), then set size parameters, and select TRANSPARENT background. Then CTL V.

Lara will now be on a transparent background. You can find tips on using Photoshop here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/tips/photoshop.html

b/w congrats! Adobe Photoshop is simply awesome!

M.

Hey, hey! Thanx for the replies! :) MissLara2U, I followed your instructions, but it didn't work. When I pressed CTRL V, it just pasted the original wallpaper (with the background). I appreciate the help...

P.S. I LOVE your web site! I'm a frequent visitor. ;)

MissLara2U
4th Feb 2005, 07:14
Johnny. Thank you for your kind words. Xcom has also tendered some good advice above. If that fails, drop me a copy of the wallpaper via email and I'll set the background layer transparent for you and return. My email is in My Profile.

M.

Lara Croft Online
4th Feb 2005, 07:51
I don't know if my way is either good or bad but take it for what it's worth.
I open my pick and use the magic wand to delete what I can around the pic.
if I erase some of of the pic I want I slowly restore what got erased with
the history brush. After I have my pic ready I use the magic wand again
and highlight the area I want transparent. Then I click on help and select
make image transparent,then I have selected the area,then select online
and select PNG to get a nice clear vivid picture I can edit later.
Hope this helps.

BlueSkiesXXV
4th Feb 2005, 12:29
Just a FYI for serious paint software users.
I used to use a paint application called Matador (it eventually became Avid Matador).
I then moved on to other paint packages such as Photoshop, etc.

There is now a new paint application on the market (well, relatively new) called Curious gFx and it is truly wonderful.
It allows you to work easily with image sequences or stills.

Curious gFx puts other paint applications in the shade and is used by many of the biggest and best film and video post-production houses around the world.

You can download a FREE trial here: www.curious-software.com

You should take a look.
The installation also includes a user guide (in PDF format).

LuxAngel
6th Feb 2005, 15:32
When I first started using Photoshop, I had major issues cleanly extracting something from its original background. Used the extract filter, lassos, (all of 'em :D), magic wand, etc.

But who knew that right here in the offical TR forum, I could've gotten help? ;)

Deekman
7th Feb 2005, 18:17
When I extract a figure from a background in this fashion, I'll either use the eraser or the magic wand and delete.
When I use the magic wand, I got to "select" then go to feather and set to one or two pixels. That way when I delete the background, the figure remaning doesn't have such a sharp pixelated edge and will blend better to the new background. Of course, you still need to adjust and test to get the perfect amount for your needs.