PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider Fans are different...and thats a good thing.

RaidR_84
30th Jan 2005, 06:58
Recently, I have posted on the boards at gamefaqs.com and I signed up for the boards at eidos...and ive noticed something different about tomb raider fans v. other gaming forums.

For the first part, you guys are a hell of a lot nicer. When I go over to the gamefaqs boards, everyone shouts and EVERYONE is a critic of somebody. I dont find that here, and that's refreshing.

Plus I think it is also awesome that guys and girls are treated equally there. At gamefaqs, most guys frown on girl gamers. There was a girl that wanted to create a chat for the release of Resident Evil 4, and no one responded (because they didnt want to share there feelings)

Anyway, I still post there, but I like this place better, its just...more relaxed. I am eagerly waiting Lara's next game, and I dont know, I guess I just got into her again. Tonight, I went through some of my old boxes from when I lived at my moms and I found stuff like:

-The Tomb Raider Tech Manual (Movie)
-Prima's Tomb Raider The Book
-Tomb Raider Official Movie Companion
-Tons of AJ mags.
-An official USA Today newspaper from June 15th, 2001. It includes a feature article on Lara Croft.
and just some other video gaming stuff....

I tried to grow up. I tried to bury Lara and gaming. But, the past always comes back to haunt you....

and in the words of martha stewart....

Thats A Good Thing.

DaveJ
30th Jan 2005, 10:04
Welcome!
I know what you mean about this place - been here a while and its one of only 2 forums I still frequent.

I also echo your thoughts about TR always being with you - I'm currently replaying all the games in sequence (getting a tan in Nevada at the moment) and I always get a pleasing pang of nostalgia when the secrets chime goes off.

It is indeed a good thing. :)

John Carter
30th Jan 2005, 13:22
Glad you're enjoying yourself here!

I tried growing up too, but found it a generally unsatisfying experience. ;) I think you'll find that adult life and TR/Lara gaming are entirely compatible, I discovered the joy of virtual Tomb Raiding in my 30's.

And yes, I concur with you, Dave, and Martha, a good thing it is. :D

SMSL
30th Jan 2005, 18:05
I used to post on Prince of Persia forums and I too find Tomb Raider ones way nicer and even far more mature in content, in the best sense of the word.

And I think Lara Croft as a character and Tomb Raider as a franchise deserve some praising for gathering together so many fine folk. :)

Solange
30th Jan 2005, 19:33
We simply are the best! :D

http://members.chello.se/solange/sigs/Mymble.gif

dhama
30th Jan 2005, 19:46
To be honest, the pull of the TR level editor was, and still is too great to resist, but the reason for coming here is that people are not only like minded, they're also interesting to pass the time with. Nothing is wasted here, there's a lot of good will and everyone helps each other. If there was ever Nirvana on earth then it would be called Eidos TR forums. :)

Right, off to hit some members now......... :D

Solange
30th Jan 2005, 21:04
If there was ever Nirvana on earth then it would be called Eidos TR forums. :)
:eek:

Right, off to hit some members now......... :D

Ouch! :mad:

:p

Sophia Leigh
30th Jan 2005, 23:26
Glad you're enjoying yourself here!

I tried growing up too, but found it a generally unsatisfying experience. ;) I think you'll find that adult life and TR/Lara gaming are entirely compatible, I discovered the joy of virtual Tomb Raiding in my 30's.

And yes, I concur with you, Dave, and Martha, a good thing it is. :D

Same here, except I discovered Tomb Raider in my 20's :)

My 2 year old now likes Lara and she even asks me to play so she can watch. She also likes to hold the playstation controller and pretend she is playing - the roll button gets pressed alot and you get dizzy watching the screen :D

Anyway getting back onto the subject this is a good forum and its nice to see so many adults enjoying the game. :)

SMSL
30th Jan 2005, 23:48
Eheheheheh! I discovered TR in my 20s too, as my oldest sister gave me her AOD for the PC over buying it again for the PS2... and she's on her 30s, eheheheh! :D

willard3
31st Jan 2005, 01:39
I have liked the people on these forums better than the other ones I've frequented. The only other forum which comes close is on the Temple of Lore, for a CCG.
On these, no one (generally) treats you nastily because you're a n00b, because I think people here realize that they were n00bs at some point, while other people delude themselves by thinking they were born with natural gaming instinct.

suzieq51
31st Jan 2005, 01:51
Welcome RaidR_84, hope you enjoy your stay here.
Yes, I agree, this is a great forum - nice, friendly people.
So tell me ... when you unpacked those boxes and found all that old TR stuff, did you get all warm and fuzzy? :D
(BTW I discovered TR in my '50's!)

RaidR_84
31st Jan 2005, 02:17
Suzie- Oh definitly :-D I was like wow, look at this preview mag of Tomb Raider Next Gen and I found all these Tomb Raider/Witchblade comics.

Ive been replaying them all...and I cant get enough!!! lol

RaidR_84
31st Jan 2005, 02:19
I have liked the people on these forums better than the other ones I've frequented. The only other forum which comes close is on the Temple of Lore, for a CCG.
On these, no one (generally) treats you nastily because you're a n00b, because I think people here realize that they were n00bs at some point, while other people delude themselves by thinking they were born with natural gaming instinct.

Oh I can totally agree. Dont dare to go into a online rpg with an idea of having fun...everyone frowns on you if your new to it.

Nature of humaity I guess.... :-(

LARAMANIAC
31st Jan 2005, 16:52
Same here, except I discovered Tomb Raider in my 20's :)

My 2 year old now likes Lara and she even asks me to play so she can watch. She also likes to hold the playstation controller and pretend she is playing - the roll button gets pressed alot and you get dizzy watching the screen :D

Anyway getting back onto the subject this is a good forum and its nice to see so many adults enjoying the game. :)

Aren't you just proud to be rearing the second generation Raiders, I know I am! Both my daughters are avid Lara fans and have been for quite some time! ;)

Welcome RaidR 84! Raiders really are the best folks to know!! ;) Hope you enjoy your stay! :D

Deekman
31st Jan 2005, 18:02
This is a great place, ain't it?
The folks here have become like a second family.
Gosh, maybe I oughta change my sig quote.

Nah.

Grey Mouser
31st Jan 2005, 22:40
We aim to please...

ehnn...your sig (and presence!) is fine with us Deek. Matter of fact, we kinda like them both (as well as all of the above). We feel blessed even. In a way that only other Gamers can know...

Oh...And welcome to the family RaidR 84! :)

Sophia Leigh
1st Feb 2005, 01:27
Aren't you just proud to be rearing the second generation Raiders, I know I am! Both my daughters are avid Lara fans and have been for quite some time! ;)

Welcome RaidR 84! Raiders really are the best folks to know!! ;) Hope you enjoy your stay! :D

Very proud Laramaniac! :)

whitemetal
1st Feb 2005, 12:45
Hello RaidR 84,welcome to the warm addiction that is the TR Forums. :)