PDA

View Full Version : Angelina's Tsunami Aid Insights

Trinity34
12th Jan 2005, 02:46
Angelina's Tsunami Aid Insights

Friday Jan 07, 2005 6:00am EST

Now that celebrities from George Clooney to Sandra Bullock and Sting are rallying to help the victims of the tsunami disaster in South Asia, we wanted to know what Angelina Jolie, a goodwill ambassador for the United Nations, is thinking about it. "What I'm doing is collecting people, talking to different people who are focused on building, focused on solar power, and focused on construction and infrastructure," she told us at the London premiere of Alexander this week. "I think that the next stage of things to come will be the rebuilding, and I think it's going to need an extended focus, not just everybody thinking about it for a few weeks." So will the actress – who visited Sri Lanka last year and has traveled as far as Sudan, Sierra Leone, Ecuador and Pakistan – go to the ravaged areas destroyed by the tsunami? "I will, but there's a time to go out, and there's a time you might just be in the way," she says. "I think my being there now would not really help anybody truly, it might just confuse the situation. So I'm on standby, but for the meantime, I'm focusing on building projects for the future."

As for how Jolie explains the disaster to her 3-year-old son, Maddox: "The thing is my son has been to refugee camps, my son has been to hospitals ... it's not the first horrible thing to impact my son's life. It wasn't introducing disaster to my son. He's very well aware," she says. "I explained to him when we went to visit a hospital on Christmas, 'You're going to visit sick children. And they're very sad, and sick. And you need to be very nice to them.' He understands that. He sees things, and he says, 'Mommy's crying because she's sad because people got hurt.' And he just holds my hand, and he gets it."

www.people.com