PDA

View Full Version : The hardest Tomber Raider Game

Sophia Leigh
30th Dec 2004, 01:11
I finally completed TR3 last night! I abandoned it at the meteorite cavern three years ago. I found this the most difficult game out of the six, mainly because on play station you can't save game whenever you want to (a big shock after playing TR2). I must say the ending to TR3 was also a big let down. What does everyone else think?

Jorge22
30th Dec 2004, 01:56
I think TR3 is the best TR game Core ever made. Of course, playing on a PC I had no problems saving my game anywhere I wanted to. :D And why do you think the end is a big let down? :confused:

EDIT: Oh yeah, now I remember... A while ago I was replaying the game and I just didn't get the raising platforms puzzle in Tinnos, so I gave it up there. :eek:

socom
30th Dec 2004, 21:58
TR3 was a brilliant game...

The hardest TR Game? Two thoughts come to mind: First and foremost; the game we should have been playing this year - TR7 :eek: (it's been tough not playing a new TR game this year) and to my utter dismay: The Angel of Darkness - the controls were a bit tricky; I had to get used to them quick and I lost all interest when Kurtis failed repeatedly to kill that big, ugly bug (can't remember the name - selective amnesia :D ) Hmmmm, Boaz perhaps? That was the toughest game, for me anyway.

L Croft
30th Dec 2004, 23:33
well AoD is the only one I haven't finished due to the fact that loading times on my computer were at least a minuet so in areas where I died often it was very frustrating so I just gave up. I agree that TR3 was hard, there were some difficult enemies near the end, the invincable enemies in TRLR were also rather scary.

LARAMANIAC
31st Dec 2004, 00:28
Loved TR3 - my favourite episode!! :D

I have to agree though, I found AOD the most difficult, but not for the reasons intended, controls-wise. I gave up at Boaz - its the only TR game I haven't finished either! :( Bloody Kurtis Trent, let me fight with Lara anyday!!! :D

EddyBones
31st Dec 2004, 00:37
I find TR3 the most difficult only because I can't figure my way around the levels without a strategy guide. No, not even the first level!:eek:

I'm doing okay with AOD on PS2. It's pretty linear so I don't get lost, and the levels are not as complicated as I had imagined before the game came out.

susan
31st Dec 2004, 00:52
TR3 is difficult but great, one of my favourites. If TR7 is anything like this game I'll be happy.

@ Laramaniac, are you playing AoD on the PC? Because killing Boaz on the PS2 is easy. (I hate boss fights normally and so if it was remotely difficult I would say.) Last time I did it I didn't take any evasive action with Kurtis (just stood there and let the green stuff go all over him) and I only had to take one 60% health packs. Maybe the difficulty level is different on the PS2. :confused: The flying thing doesn't even touch you.

LARAMANIAC
31st Dec 2004, 01:15
I've been playing on PS2, I do normally play TR on pc, even though I am normally a console gamer. I spent a long time try to kill that bloody thing, then I got so angry I deleted all my save games, Scottish temper! :eek: Now I haven't got the heart to play it all over again, well not yet anyways! ;)

susan
31st Dec 2004, 01:58
Ooops! :o Hmmm, maybe I'm just getting better at these things without realising it, or lucky.
...then I got so angry I deleted all my save games, Scottish temper! Now I haven't got the heart to play it all over again, well not yet anyways!
I know that feeling, but from playing Jak II not TR. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've got my fingers crossed for you for next time you go for it. :)

socom
31st Dec 2004, 02:49
Originally posted by LARAMANIAC
I spent a long time try to kill that bloody thing, then I got so angry I deleted all my save games, Scottish temper! :eek: Now I haven't got the heart to play it all over again, well not yet anyways! ;)

LOL and I thought I was the only one! :D Played until I couldn't play anymore - got mighty angry and then wham! Deleted my saved game. I started all over again a few hours later. As strange as it may sound, I felt like I gave up on Lara, so I took another shot - she would have. :cool:

Maybe I will give that Raider Wannabe (Kurtis) another try one day...or better yet, figure out how I can get that bug to eat him! :D

Sophia Leigh
3rd Jan 2005, 23:00
Isn't it funny how angry you can get when you get stuck playing tomb raider - and to think I originally took up playing the game for stress relief! I do love playing the tomb raider games though :) .

suzieq51
4th Jan 2005, 01:15
Originally posted by Mum
Isn't it funny how angry you can get when you get stuck playing tomb raider - and to think I originally took up playing the game for stress relief! I do love playing the tomb raider games though :) .

How true Mum!

I too had a lot of trouble with the controls (playing on PC) for AOD. To my great shame I had to download a save game from "Stella" to get me thru' that dreaded 'Boaz' bit. I got sooooo angry with that cretinous 'Kurtis' creep and his stupid clunky moves that I invented several new swear words to add to my repertoire! :o

DaveJ
5th Jan 2005, 06:18
I replayed AOD earlier this week (on PC) and managed to complete the Boaz bit after only 2 attempts. Unlike my first time through it which took about 3 months.....

The trick is to hit fire, roll and left/right at the same time to hit the pods on her side.

socom
5th Jan 2005, 15:01
@ mum - your post (and all this talk w/ the other Raiders) has renewed my interest to go old school and play TR3 again; should be a very cool experience, it's been such a long time, so thanks! :)

@ DaveJ - I wasn't able to fire and roll at the same time consistently; Kurtis would roll a few times and then be facing another direction by the time I had to get him out of the way of Boaz.

There was a maneuver/technique I tried early on in the battle - put Kurtis in a corner, faced Boaz, and then fired away - I noticed that there was major green goo flying about, but no end to the pod(s); it didn't seem as if he was firing at just one of them.

For the PC version (I'm playing on PS2) was there a target lock-on key/(button) or was it automatic? Just curious...maybe I missed something? Thanks...

DaveJ
5th Jan 2005, 16:44
Theres no real lock on - by default he shoots at her head.

But by holding roll and a sideways direction (whilst targeting) between shots enables him to target one of the 4 pods at a time.

socom
6th Jan 2005, 00:22
I shall certainly give that method a shot! And if it doesn't work (for some odd reason), it will be de fault of Kurtis once again. ;)

Cheers...

Sophia Leigh
6th Jan 2005, 02:34
It's good to go "old school" sometimes, I especially like playing the first game as there is not so much swearing involved. I am playing Chronicles at the moment, its amazing how much easier it is the second time around even though I last played it three years ago. The thing I like most about Chronicles variety between each level or story - I quite like the scope attachement to the guns as well, I hope they have that option in TR7.

Big Raider
6th Jan 2005, 19:59
I still play all the TR games and I think TR3 is the hardest of all. It is an excellent game. Some of the secrets are real interesting to find.

socom
7th Jan 2005, 18:05
Originally posted by Mum
It's good to go "old school" sometimes, I especially like playing the first game as there is not so much swearing involved. I am playing Chronicles at the moment, its amazing how much easier it is the second time around even though I last played it three years ago. The thing I like most about Chronicles variety between each level or story - I quite like the scope attachement to the guns as well, I hope they have that option in TR7.

Well, sad to say, I am unable to go "old school" at the moment; I'm having problems loading my Playstation games. Just posted about it in community chat so I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some information regarding the problem. I was looking forward to playing TR III. :(

Chronicles was such a challenging game! Have fun with it. :)

Sophia Leigh
8th Jan 2005, 01:07
Originally posted by socom
Well, sad to say, I am unable to go "old school" at the moment; I'm having problems loading my Playstation games. Just posted about it in community chat so I'm hoping that someone will be able to give me some information regarding the problem. I was looking forward to playing TR III. :(

Chronicles was such a challenging game! Have fun with it. :)

I couldn't find your post, but good luck getting your playstation to work:)

DaveJ
8th Jan 2005, 03:05
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47723

socom
9th Jan 2005, 17:44
@ DaveJ, thanks. ;)

@ mum, I received some good advice from some of the forum members (including DaveJ) and I did find, on-line, the necessary means to make an attempt to remedy my problem.

So I am looking forward (if luck permits :) ) to playing TR III and the rest of my Playstation games.

DesertRanger
9th Jan 2005, 20:22
i got first 3 games on playstation and last 3 on pc can only play pc ones atm cos im at uni with no telly cos of liecence but hardest i think cud be chronicles or tr III dunno why i just dont seem to be getting on aswell with chronicals as others maybe im getting dumber :(

willard3
25th Jan 2005, 02:50
From my experience, I'd have to say Last Revelation.
Just because you can move between levels makes it hard. You might get really freaking far in one area and discover you need an item from another, and have to backtrack really far.
I just got a PS2 (yeah, the mini one), and am just starting AoD, although I'll have to tear myself away from Spiderman 2 so I can really get into it. It'll take a while to get used to TR with PS controls.

LARAMANIAC
25th Jan 2005, 09:42
Good luck, Willard, you're gonna need it!! :D

Sophia Leigh
28th Jan 2005, 00:23
Its funny how everyone has a different "hardest game". I personally found TR4 the easiest if you don't count the first one.

Willard3, once you get used to playing AOD on the playstation, you should try playing one of the previous TR games on the playstation just for laughs, I guarantee you will get the sh**s inside five minutes! :D :D :D

jso2897
28th Jan 2005, 16:17
For me, Tombraider III. Nevada with no weapons, Willard, those infernal mine carts, I could go on..........

maniac44
12th Feb 2005, 17:28
I must say the ending to TR3 was also a big let down. What does everyone else think?

Play "Tomb Raider:The Lost Artifact" (or sometimes called "Tomb Raider 3 Gold"). It takes the story further and clears up a few things.

millnatla
12th Feb 2005, 22:13
The first TR cuz it was fresh and new, once u got used to the basic controls the rest were pretty easy (apart from these damn custom levels :) )

Curently playing Pirates of the Caribbean (i hope i spelt that correctly)

Sophia Leigh
13th Feb 2005, 01:05
Play "Tomb Raider:The Lost Artifact" (or sometimes called "Tomb Raider 3 Gold"). It takes the story further and clears up a few things.

Thanks for the info - I have my tomb raider games on PS2 though, I guess I will have to invest in copies for my PC ;)

johnbegone
1st Mar 2005, 06:38
I finally completed TR3 last night! I abandoned it at the meteorite cavern three years ago. I found this the most difficult game out of the six, mainly because on play station you can't save game whenever you want to (a big shock after playing TR2). I must say the ending to TR3 was also a big let down. What does everyone else think?

I played TR3 as my first full TR game. the hardest parts to me were that darn cairn key and sleeping with the fishes level. I just finished TR4 and am halfway thru TR5. I started TR5 out of frustration with the last level of TR4 which was a huge letdown for me after all of the other challenges earlier in the game semingly greater than the last. but having not played them all I feel as yet unqualified to make a hardest one judgement.

Sophia Leigh
2nd Mar 2005, 02:35
I played TR3 as my first full TR game. the hardest parts to me were that darn cairn key and sleeping with the fishes level. I just finished TR4 and am halfway thru TR5. I started TR5 out of frustration with the last level of TR4 which was a huge letdown for me after all of the other challenges earlier in the game semingly greater than the last. but having not played them all I feel as yet unqualified to make a hardest one judgement.

I thought TR5 was excellent and hope you enjoy it! ;)

Johnny
11th Mar 2005, 15:32
How true Mum!

I too had a lot of trouble with the controls (playing on PC) for AOD. To my great shame I had to download a save game from "Stella" to get me thru' that dreaded 'Boaz' bit. I got sooooo angry with that cretinous 'Kurtis' creep and his stupid clunky moves that I invented several new swear words to add to my repertoire! :o

LOL @ suzie51. Don't feel shame... I downloaded a savegame from Stella to get through Boaz too! I can't speak for everyone, but that was THE most frustrating moment of Tomb Raider for me... :eek:

Johnny ;)

Enako
11th Mar 2005, 15:47
eeer...2? i find them all about the same

MissLara2U
11th Mar 2005, 15:58
None have been too hard, but The Last Revelation was the most challenging to stay interested in, because it went on forever. ;)

M.

Sophia Leigh
12th Mar 2005, 10:34
None have been too hard, but The Last Revelation was the most challenging to stay interested in, because it went on forever. ;)

M.

Yeah, I'm playing it at the moment for the second time when I get a chance. I loved it the first time but this time it starting to drag, I'm under the sphinx at the moment but I'm in no hurry since we are going to be waiting even longer now for TR7 :mad:

suzieq51
13th Mar 2005, 01:11
LOL, I've been trying for several years to try and get hold of "The Lost Artifact", it's the only TR I haven't played. The past 12 months I've been playing some of the excellent custom levels - now they're challenging! :D

Sophia Leigh
13th Mar 2005, 06:44
LOL, I've been trying for several years to try and get hold of "The Lost Artifact", it's the only TR I haven't played. The past 12 months I've been playing some of the excellent custom levels - now they're challenging! :D

They should make those sequel games for the playstation :mad: Unfortunately I haven't played them :(

knightgames
25th Mar 2005, 21:27
I've GOT to go get a new playstation.......... Mine broke over a year ago trying to play the last Soul Reaver. I finished the game but I was not able to shut it off or I'd risk loosing all of my progress. I tried new save cards and everything else I could think of. Finally, after finishing Soul Reaver, the PSXII only started up a few more times before giving up the ghost.

Since I use my PC for work I really don't want to risk putting in TR games that are really compatable with Win98. I know there are patches to correct that, but I can't risk interfering with my work, and causing compatability issues with software and drivers. I'd LOVE to play TRI with the GLIDOS wrap and all the other great enhancements.
(Sometimes I still wish I was a Toys R Us kid.)

The hardest one for me was TRII. Using the spring boards in the last temple frustrated me to NO END. TRII's the one that sticks out most in my mind, tho I know of certain levels in other games that confounded me. Like canoeing down the rapids while trying to avoid the spikes that pop up. The RAPTORS in TRIII were ferocous.

My favorite TR is still number one. The game was so new... so novel...that it just stuck out in your mind. The difference with TRI and any other game available at the time was paradigm. When were you EVER chased by a T Rex and actually jumped in your chair. I saw the previews of it in magazines and was mad at them for giving away the surprise and I STILL jumped.
The legless KING KONG BOSS monster was cool. Mz. Natla was the best villian. (2 strong women........ how often do you see THAT in a movie, game or book?)

And, then you just have the stupid frustration of TRAoD. BAD control design really made the development team change the core (no pun intended, but if you laugh then I did intend :cool: ) gameplay of TR games. TRAoD's saving grace was a promising story line. I HOPE they continue it.

regards,
Robert