PDA

View Full Version : Close but still holes in the pics

John D.
20th Dec 2004, 05:38
Okay in my last fan mission I had several custom paintings that I converted to a usable .gif by saving them as .gifs in Microsoft paint for xp. I never liked the results because they always seemed rather grainy. I recently got a hold of a program called Infraview which seems to function as well as Photoshop in many aspects. I've tried taking the jpegs I have and using infraview to set the pallette to 256, then save it as a .gif file for use in Thief.
The resulting image seemed to have far better resolution in-game, but there are still some holes and gaps in the thing where you can see though the picture. I'm sure this is a pallette issue, but how do I fix it?:confused:

raetsel
20th Dec 2004, 08:40
not sure how that program you have handles such things, but... try replacing any black (as in rgb of 0,0,0) with the closest counterpart in the palette - which in the object palette is 3,3,3 i think & still black by all means and purposes (most times if you convert an image to the thief palette - it automatically uses black in places & that ends up transparent).

hope that helps!

John D.
2nd Jan 2005, 02:11
I've messed around with Infraview's settings but no luck. Oh well, I've used it for some .gifs and just doctored the blank spots in paint which seems to work ok.

Yandros
4th Jan 2005, 19:04
Any pixels which are palette index 0 (the first color) will show as transparent in Thief, so it's not necessarily black. I use PSP7 and do this:

1. Use the color replacer to change all pixels which are palette 0 to another color in the palette which is close to it - usually palette index 1 is very close because of the way PSP downsamples to 256 colors.

2. Just to be sure, I often edit the palette and change 0 to bright pink or green, to be sure I didn't miss any pixels.

If Infraview can't do this stuff, I'd be happy to do it for batches of GIF files for you. It literally takes about 10 seconds per file.

John D.
4th Jan 2005, 19:36
I've looked at Infraview's settings and I dont see any way to do the same thing (I also have Adobe Photoshop 5 limited edtion). Right now the artwork I currently have is converted fairly well, but when I hear back on some stuff I'm getting from a very talented artist I'll give you a call, thanks Yandros!:)

Yandros
5th Jan 2005, 13:53
I would think Photoshop 5, even being quite old, would have palette editing and color replacing... but if not, I'm still happy to do this for you. Just email me a ZIP with the GIFs in it. Use my new address (in my profile), not the old one you used to use.

John D.
21st Feb 2005, 01:47
A note about a recent purchase involving image editors. I went to Target today and was looking around in the software section, only to discover in the clearance bin a copy of Paint Shop Pro 8! I got it for $40 bucks-WOOT! :D

R_Soul
21st Feb 2005, 21:41
Nice one taffer :D

John D.
22nd Feb 2005, 19:38
I'm about to get some sleep, but I made a quick test in Paintshop 8. I took a jpeg-saved it as a .gif file, then reopened it and got into the pallette. I then tried setting the colors that had a RGB of 0, 0, 0, and set them to 3, 3, 3,. I then tried it out in Dromed (note you wont see the puppy in DtGold-it's just a test ;) ). There were still a few holes in the pics, but it's dark so the player wont see them, plus the detail looked fairly good! :cool:
http://img71.exs.cx/img71/8610/testpic9mz.jpg

Yandros
22nd Feb 2005, 21:09
I'm about to get some sleep, but I made a quick test in Paintshop 8. I took a jpeg-saved it as a .gif file, then reopened it and got into the pallette. I then tried setting the colors that had a RGB of 0, 0, 0, and set them to 3, 3, 3,. I then tried it out in Dromed (note you wont see the puppy in DtGold-it's just a test ;) ). There were still a few holes in the pics, but it's dark so the player wont see them, plus the detail looked fairly good! :cool:
In Paintshop 7, I can tell you what to do. 8 should be similar.

1. You don't have to reopen your gif... just load the jpg and then do Ctrl-Shift-3 to downsample to 256 colors. Save as a gif.
2. Black (0,0,0) has nothing to do with transparency for object textures. What will be transparent in Dromed is all pixels which use palette index 0. Shift-P will bring up the palette editor, then double-click the upper-left color (index 0). Change it to bright pink or green. Now, everywhere you see pink or green will be transparency in Dromed.
3. Select the color replacer tool (in PSP7 it's a red & blue double arrow in the toolbar). On the right frame should be the palette, pick index 0 for foreground (left click) and another index which is very close to it for background (right click). Depending on how you downsample to 256 colors, index 1 will probably be very close to what index 0 was before you changed it to pink or green.
4. Open tool options and change the brush size to 256 so you can do the whole image at once. Then right-click on the image and it will change all the pink or green to index 1. Presto! No more transparency.

John D.
23rd Feb 2005, 13:31
It took some navigation through the manual to figure out how to get to the tools you mentioned, but the holes are finally gone! :D
WOOT!