PDA

View Full Version : The Lord of the Rings: The Rise of the Dark Lord!

Godfather
8th Dec 2004, 17:01
Just a rumour, but aren't at least some rumours likely to contain at least a little bit of truth?

There is word that, besides the film "The Hobbit", there is going to be another Lord of the Rings-film: a prequel in fact to both "The Hobbit" and the actual "The Lord of the Rings".

This story, which is today only known as "The Rise of the Dark Lord" would reveal as to how Sauron became thé most powerful monster of all time and how he became the God that he was in the mighty "The Lord of the Rings" films. :confused:

This Friday (10/12/2004) the extended version of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" comes out and after I have bought it, I'm going to have myself a "Lord of the Rings" weekend.

First, I'm gonna watch "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" on Friday. :)
Then, I'm gonna watch "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" on Saturday. :cool:
At last, I'm gonna watch "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" on Sunday. :D

Not only am I going to watch all 3 films in extended versions :D :D :D (which should take me about 12 hours in total), but I'm also going to watch them on my 22"-screen and with a blasting woofer-sound that will not be allowed anymore on my apartment in Antwerp when I'll be moving early next year (which is why I wanted to do it one more time and what better film than this all-too-powerful saga) ...

Is anyone going to follow my example? :p

Bye for now

Trinity34
8th Dec 2004, 17:14
I had only heard that they were thinking of making The Hobbit into a movie, but both would be great IMO.

andjelko
8th Dec 2004, 22:20
Me and my girlfriend did that last week on my new TV and my new 300 W suround sistem :D , but we did that in continuity with two 10 min. pause. So trust me, you'll have a great weekend
Now I'm looking forward to last part of Starwars...can you imagine six parts of Starwars in continuity?

THE True Lara
8th Dec 2004, 23:09
When Episode 1 came out me and a few friends watched Star Wars 4-6 back to back in preparation. The same group (with additional participants) also attempted to watch series 1 one The X Files back to back once, and I've watched all of The Prisoner Series over the course of a weekendin the past, but I can't say I'll have the time to be joining in with Lord of the Rings marathon just yet ;)

Long time no see Godfather.

andjelko
8th Dec 2004, 23:30
We had "Godfather" movies on last "New years movie marathon" on our national TV (I'm from Serbia by the way) and that was my chill out
My next marathon will be Indiana Jones

jso2897
9th Dec 2004, 01:46
Man, your couch is gonna have some primo butt-grooves!:D

Godfather
9th Dec 2004, 19:47
Actually, "The Lord of the Rings" is the very last one of a mega-marathon that I started many months ago. I decided to watch all the trilogies, quadralogies, series and saga's again before moving to my little apartment in Antwerpen.

I remember starting with the "Scream"-trilogy and having done many others such as:

"Alien" -quadralogy
"Lethal weapon" -quadralogy
"Godfather"- trilogy (duh!!) :rolleyes:
"Back to the future"- trilogy
"24"- trilogy
"Airplane"- duology (2 films) or should I just say "Airplane"-series
"Naked Gun"- trilogy
"Hot shots"- series
"Indiana Jones" -trilogy
"Matrix" -series
"Halloween" -trilogy (there are only 3 worth watching (and those are the only ones I have and want) and those are 1, 2 and H2O: so all Jamie Lee Curtis-Halloween films)
"Freddy Krueger" -series (same thing as above only this time the 1st and 3rd NOES and FvJ)
"Terminator" -trilogy
"Home alone" -series
"Star Wars" -saga
"Ghostbusters" -series

and (I could have forgotten a few) I have saved the best for last. I'll put an end to it with thé greatest of thé greatest ...
"The Lord of the Rings" -saga!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

life is gooood ... :D :D

Bye for now

andjelko
9th Dec 2004, 20:36
My 10 years old couch is just briliant...I think he is made for movie marathons and for...you know what for :cool:
Godfather, tnx for list

Tipsko
9th Dec 2004, 21:03
Originally posted by Godfather

No, no, no. I really don't like those movies ;)

Solange
9th Dec 2004, 21:06
Originally posted by Tipsko
No, no, no. I really don't like those movies ;)
I'm so glad I'm not alone! :)

http://members.chello.se/solange/smileys/hug.gif

susan
9th Dec 2004, 21:29
Originally posted by Tipsko

No, no, no. I really don't like those movies

Originally posted by Solange

http://members.chello.se/solange/smileys/hug.gif

Shocked :eek: I thought everyone did. Too long or don't like fantasy stuff or something else...I'm curious. :)

Godfather, I've done this a few times already with the extended versions for first two films and ordinary length Return of the King (I got impatient waiting for the extended version :rolleyes: ). And watched the features through a few times too. Cold winter days are made for doing this kind of stuff, enjoy. :D

BTW, respect for doing the 24 trilogy. I rented one set of these from the library and although I had a full week's rental I couldn't do it.

EddyBones
9th Dec 2004, 21:40
The most recent couch-potatoage I've done was the whole 26 episode Neon Genesis Evangelion anime series in 2 days. That was a few weeks ago.

Solange
9th Dec 2004, 21:42
Just plain boring for me.

I love the books, and watching the movies was like watching a documentary about the books. A fairly well made documentary, but still... Definetely something missing for me!

I've had people trying to "cure" me, as if not liking them must be some kind of decease that can be overcome... :eek:

http://members.chello.se/solange/sigs/Mymble.gif

midroth
9th Dec 2004, 21:48
Let' see...

"Alien" -quadralogy (Yes, but not the quad.)
"Lethal weapon" -quadralogy (Why not...but not the quad.)
"Godfather"- trilogy (duh!!) (thanks, no.)
"Back to the future"- trilogy (Seen at once. Thanks.)
"24"- trilogy (No)
"Airplane"- duology (2 films) or should I just say "Airplane"-series (No)
"Naked Gun"- trilogy (No)
"Hot shots"- series (No)
"Indiana Jones" -trilogy (Yes, long/er ago)
"Matrix" -series (The 1st, only...but No)
"Halloween" -trilogy (there are only 3 worth watching (and those are the only ones I have and want) and those are 1, 2 and H2O: so all Jamie Lee Curtis-Halloween films) (All seen, but no)
"Freddy Krueger" -series (same thing as above only this time the 1st and 3rd NOES and FvJ) (No, but seen)
"Terminator" -trilogy (Seen, but more NO)
"Home alone" -series (Nonono)
"Star Wars" -saga (The "old" versions of the first 3, yes. The "new" version and parts = No)
"Ghostbusters" -series (Seen, but ... today? More no).

Tipsko
9th Dec 2004, 22:49
:eek: I'm glad I'm not the only one :D

Originally posted by Susan
Shocked :eek: I thought everyone did. Too long or don't like fantasy stuff or something else...I'm curious. :)

though it is in my genre, I just didn't like it. It just didn't had it for me...

susan
10th Dec 2004, 00:03
Just plain boring for me.

I love the books, and watching the movies was like watching a documentary about the books. A fairly well made documentary, but still... Definetely something missing for me!

Good for you and Tipsko. Nice to know someone can resist the swell of the populatist tide.

Unlike myself. ;)

whitemetal
10th Dec 2004, 11:50
I have read many of J.R.R. Tolkiens books, currently" Poems and Stories "which includes The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. I too couldn't wait for the extended version of LOTR ROTK and bought the standard release earlier this year and have enjoyed many Lord of the Rings weekends. And when that wasn't enough i registered at the Forums of Lord of the Rings Fanatics, can't get enough.
Anyway, Peter Jackson will be making The Hobbit after King Kong and maybe on the big screen around Dec. 2006. There are rumours of LOTR extensions mainly from The Silmarillion, how much truth is in these rumours is questionable. I'd love to see The Tale of Luthien and Beren brought to the screen if nothing else.

Deekman
13th Dec 2004, 13:27
Originally posted by Godfather
I am. Sort of. I plan on watching all three Extended Editions back to back
starting the morning of the Eighteenth.
I have a 47" widescreen RCA CRT.
I don't have a fancy surround sound system, but the tv is hooked into
our stereo, and that works out pretty well.
A couple buddies and I did a Pink Panther Marathon (http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40387&highlight=pink+panther) this past summer and got pretty zonked doing it!

And down the road its gonna be fun watching all the Star Wars films back to back.
But any really adventurous fan will have to stick Spaceballs and Toaster Wars into the mix somewheres.

I still haven't convinced my wife to buy me the Alien Quadrilogy.
Some day, though...

Godfather
13th Dec 2004, 21:55
Originally posted by DEEKMAN
Some day, though...

Good. Keep it that way, because the Alien Quadrilogy is nowhere near as good as the original Alien-box (the one I have). Lemme tell you why ... even though my own humble opinion may not be very objective and helpful. You might wanna check your sources before buying this quadrilogy. ;)

Here's why:

Alien: This ultimate classic is one of the finest thrillers ever made! Sometimes directors shouldn't touch their original version of a film and this is one of those examples. I've never seen the 'director's cut', but just the fact that it's shorter:eek: than the original Alien-film, makes one immediately start to doubt as to whether it's still worthy of buying it. I do not know what Ridley Scott changed though ... it cannot be very good; I think.

Aliens: No worries here! There's only ONE version of this fantastic film. Both in the original box as in the quadrilogy-box, you'll find the same version in both boxes (another proof of James Camerons brilliant understanding with his audience) ... also one of the finest 'extended film versions' ever released on DVD!! :cool: :cool:

Alien 3: Although some people say the 'directors cut' is better than the original theatrical version, I think it's not. Quite recently I even bought the 'directors cut' of Alien 3; blindly following most people's opinons, but I was greatly dissappointed. The new Alien-scenes look shabby comparing to the original ones, the sound is sometimes messed up and the extra scenes should've added useful information, but all they do is enlarge the film's running time. Plus (but this is a very personal choice): I very much prefered the Alien burst out of the chest of Ellen Ripley at the end of this film and that scene is deleted from the 'director's cut' ... you just see Ripley falling into the stream of lava.
Again: watch both versions before deciding. I thought the third Alien-film was almost as good and equally original as the first two, but with this new version of this film: I immediately changed my mind (and even more immediately decided to throw it away and stick to the original and IMHO better version).

Alien Resurrection: Not much to say here as I've only seen the original theatrical version, but I wouldn't be surprised if this new version (if there is even one) goes the same way as the first and the third film ... unnecessary changes to an otherwise perfect or at least most interesting film. It's still the least of all 4 and I hope (even though AvP was mega-good) the next Alien-film will be a great one as well.

How about some knights with swords, bows and arrows and axes fighting these Aliens rather than the usual gunmen? (And no: they're names are not Aragorn, Boromir, Legolas and Gimli ... :D )

Bye for now

Hope this was of any help ... DO check with other people's opinions, please! I wouldn't wanna be responsible for any wrong purchase; you know. ;) :p

Solange
13th Dec 2004, 22:05
Originally posted by DEEKMAN
Some day, though...

I looked at the box in the paper yesterday and found myself drooling! I do want them all. And I have only seen the 3rd movie once, that is something that has to be rectefied soonest! :D I didn't have high hopes for the 4th movie, but it was far better than I expected! Better imo than the 3rd, but I only have vague memories of that... ;)

midroth
13th Dec 2004, 22:43
Solange, it is the second, the second!!

You have to see him (if you are old enough). The second is a MUST! But the first one is not bad, too.

Solange
13th Dec 2004, 23:08
Oh...

Lmao!

Sorry... I have seen all of them several times, except for the 3rd one, that I only saw once, and a very long time ago! :D

Sorry about that! :D And yes, I liked the second the most. Great character, great story. There is something very unusual for modern film happening in the end of that movie that I find so interesting! :)

http://members.chello.se/solange/sigs/Mymble.gif

Deekman
28th Dec 2004, 15:32
Well, I did it. not on the 18th as planned, but on the 26th.
With gobs of food readily available and the fridge within viewing
distance of the TV, I watched all three EEs back to back.
Started at about 1:30 in the afternoon and went until midnite.

Quite satisfying.

It was good to see Christopher Lee's scenes put back
into the movie. As well as other little tidbits for the die hard fans
(which I won't mention here, owing to the satisfaction of a good suprise).

"Orcs - stupid orcs" - GoranAgar

DaveJ
5th Jan 2005, 06:31
Despite a failed earlier attempt, I watched all 3 back to back just after Xmas.
42 inch plasma TV.
DTS 6.1 ES enabled.
1 big bag of popcorn.
4 loo breaks.
3 cups of coffee.
3 cushions.
1 break to answer phone.

Excellent, excellent movies.

DaveJ
5th Jan 2005, 10:13
As to the Alien Quadrilogy - in short - GET IT.

It contains the most comprehensive set of extras ever compiled for a DVD set (apart from the recent Matrix box set), and makes the Indy and Star Wars sets look suitably pathetic in comparison.

And it contains both versions of all 4 movies - the original theatrical cuts and the Director's cuts.

The DC of 'Alien' is interesting in that it contains the cocoon sequence that kinda throws the Alien Queen story as developed later out of the window. Some scenes were extended - others trimmed as pace dictates.

Both versions of 'Aliens' have been seen in various formats already - nothing new here.

The Directors workprint of 'Alien III' (its not a Directors cut for reasons explained elsewhere in the set - as are the reasons behind the technical quality of some new scenes) is a far more interesting piece of work, one that massively improves over the hacked and tepid version that made it into the cinemas. It expands several key characters, and adds an interesting underscore to the prison society that was missing from the original version. The ending here is even more effectively downbeat by being less 'bells & whistles' for my money.
It also just makes much more sense of what originally appeared messy and incoherent.

'Alien:Resurrection' has been slightly expanded - most notably with a naff new title sequence.

Above and beyond - all versions of the movies have never looked or sounded as good - unless you can afford to get the Japanese box set which included more versions in DTS - should this be of use to you.

Highly recommended set and a classic example of how movie box sets should be treated by studios.