PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite pre-mission "sayings"

Namphibian
3rd Dec 2004, 11:07
A trademark characteristic of the Thief universe is its use of mysterious quotations or proverbs either at the beginning of a mission briefing (Thief 1 & 2) or over the load screens (Thief 3). Well I figured it deserved its own thread. Feel free to share your preferred saying from Garrett's world herein.

It's been a long time since I played Thief 1 so I can't remember any of those, but my favourite for Thief 2 was:

Strike a man and call forth sparks, Strike a man and call forth fury, To bend man or metal to thy will, Thou must strike with force

and Thief DS:

In summer time do Beesie flew, maple pine and grackles coo, The grassies sweet with nectars dew, Till Harvest time when Him eat you.

Very menacing, very Pagan-like :D

Quillan
3rd Dec 2004, 15:26
This is from memory, so I can't be sure if it's exactly right, but it went something like:

<b>Builds your roofs of dead wood
Builds your walls of dead stone
Builds your dreams of dead thoughts
Comes laughing, crying, screaming back to life
Takes what you steal
And tears the skins from your dead bones shrieking.</b>

tealsmith
3rd Dec 2004, 21:25
Originally posted by Quillan
This is from memory, so I can't be sure if it's exactly right, but it went something like:

<b>Builds your roofs of dead wood
Builds your walls of dead stone
Builds your dreams of dead thoughts
Comes laughing, crying, screaming back to life
Takes what you steal
And tears the skins from your dead bones shrieking.</b>

That's from The Dark Project right?

Anyways, my favourite one:

"To manipulate a man, is a careful project. Too light a hand, and he will follow his own wim. Too heavy a hand, and he will turn on you."

Meia-san
4th Dec 2004, 04:04
Thief DS:
"Holding a key you may infer the existance of the lock, but make no mistake assuming that yours the only key"

GlasW0lf
4th Dec 2004, 04:20
I immediately thought of the same one as tealsmith. You can probably draw your own conclusions. :cool:

SHADOWRUNNER II
8th Dec 2004, 06:09
I don't know if the punctuation is correct because it won't load on XP, but this is from T1.

The essence of balance is detachment.
To embrace a cause, to grow fond or spiteful, is to lose one's balance.
After which, no further action can be trusted.

Yes, I'm that anal about my punctuation.

Quillan
8th Dec 2004, 18:20
There is a fix for that, but I can't remember what it is right now. It involves typing in a particular regserv command into the RUN window. I have to do that every time I start Thief 1, or the cutscenes and intro videos won't play.

Loreweaver
9th Dec 2004, 02:55
T1 wont play on XP because of the directX version. If you have Dx9 on your machine, it will only support games that use DX7, DX8, or DX9. T1 uses DX6.

To run T1, you need to go into the options menu, Video Options, and turn Hardware Off. This will force the game to use "Software Rendering" mode, which only supports 256-color resolutions.

Even with this fix, the game may crash depending on your video card (GeForce FX series does not have full support for these older 256-color SVGA modes, and will sometimes crash).

From my experience, the only way to enjoy T1 in its full glory anymore is on an older computer with Win98SE and DX6 or DX7 installed.

Quillan
9th Dec 2004, 04:54
The first game runs on my computer, which has DirectX 9.0c on it, and is Windows XP Pro with SP2. You might have to force the install, or set the installer to run in compatability mode, but it works. I think Shadowrunner and Loreweaver are talking about two different things, here. Thief 1 doesn't want to install on an XP machine, because it thinks it's using Windows NT, which didn't support DirectX, so you have to force it. Once on, it works fine. I think what Shadowrunner was talking about was the video problem. Thief 1 had all the videos in the old Indeo video codec. For some reason, it doesn't seem to work all the time on newer machines. I know, when I installed Thief Gold, the cutscenes played for the first session, but quit after that. I found a solution over on the TTLG forums. Every time I go to start Thief, I have to go START->RUN-> and type <h3><code>regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Thief\Thief Gold\LGVID.AX"</code></h3> into the box, and run it. The "C:\Program Files\Thief\Thief Gold" is the path to where the files are stored on this particular computer. Once I have done that, the videos will play in the game. However, once I exit the game and do anything else, I would have to type that again before restarting to reenable them.

Loreweaver
9th Dec 2004, 06:48
T1 WILL run on XP with DX9, but only in "Software-Render Mode", with Hardware Acceleration turned off. It will only run in 256-color (8-bit) mode under DX9. The day I installed DX9 on my Win98SE machine (before I went to XP), T1 would no longer run in Hi-Color (16-bit) hardware mode. It would crash and give me a blank screen.

I never had any problems with the cutscenes or the game until I went to DX9. The simple reason is that DX9 does not support the older DX6 extensions. In fact, no game I own that used DX6 or earlier could use hardware acceleration once I installed DX9. some of the older games simply used software-rendering (at lower resolutions and/or color-depth), or would lock up completely if they did not have the software-render option.

theBlackman
9th Dec 2004, 08:58
Originally posted by Loreweaver
T1 wont play on XP because of the directX version. If you have Dx9 on your machine, it will only support games that use DX7, DX8, or DX9. T1 uses DX6.

To run T1, you need to go into the options menu, Video Options, and turn Hardware Off. This will force the game to use "Software Rendering" mode, which only supports 256-color resolutions.

Even with this fix, the game may crash depending on your video card (GeForce FX series does not have full support for these older 256-color SVGA modes, and will sometimes crash).

From my experience, the only way to enjoy T1 in its full glory anymore is on an older computer with Win98SE and DX6 or DX7 installed.

I have been running T1-T2-Tgold on XP for over a year with DX9.0b. You might run it in COMPATIBILITY 2000. Give that a try.

I made no modifications to the Compatiblity or other and all of the games and FM's for same run with no trouble.

I use full hardware mode with my ATI AIW and have no difficulties at all.

So... It can be done.