PDA

View Full Version : black screen on changing resolutons

Dallandra
29th Nov 2004, 22:21
Hi there,

Like a lot of other people, I have problems running T3. It's not my graphic card, not RAM problem or cache, or HD space etc. etc. Updated ll drivers, cleaned computer, I did it all. After doing it all, it finally starts. I finished the tutorial, moved on to the game, and then it crashes.
I thought, maybe it is something in the options. So, I go there (after restarting) and I see everything on lowest. Well, this is not good, I think. I have the newest Nvidia graphic card, so should be able to play at 1034x768 instead of 600x400 or something. So, I change it to that, and then poeff, my screen goes black.
I could only restart my compu, and when I started T3 again, I got a black screen from the beginning. Then tried to reinstall it, and still the same problem.
SO, Anyone got an idea on how to fix the resolution setting IN the game, without having to start the game?
And secondly, anyone other than me got the problem with tutorial and futher game?

Appreciate the feedback
cheers
Dallandra

LeatherMan
30th Nov 2004, 02:07
Hi Dallandra,

You need to edit your "options.ini" file, located in:

My Documents\Thief Deadly Shadows\Savegames\User Options

Change the line

Resolution=X where X =

0 (640x480)
1 (800x600)
2 (1024x768)
3 (1280x1024)
4 (1600x1200)

Mr. Perfect
30th Nov 2004, 02:12
I can't comment on the crashing problems without knowing your PC's specs*hint hint*, but I can tell you how to get rid of the settings you made without starting the game. A user's settings are in the "C:\Documents and Settings\YourUserName\My Documents\Thief - Deadly Shadows\Savegames\User Options" folder. Your settings are stored in the file called "options.ini" that you will find in that folder. Try renameing that file to something like "oldoptions.ini" and running Thief again.

Vanguard
30th Nov 2004, 15:43
Have you ever tested your monitor at those other resolutions? I've seen users that set a resolution that they use for the Windows desktop and non-graphical applications and then wonder why the display is screwed up when using a different resolution. Open the Display applet and change to every listed resolution and test it. You might have to adjust positioning, refresh rate, or sizing. If you haven't tested your monitor in those other resolutions then you don't know that it works in those other resolutions using the current/default settings.