PDA

View Full Version : About to buy this game... installation set up?

DBrown67
27th Nov 2004, 10:56
I'm about to buy Thief: Deadly Shadows (I played Thief 1 but never finished it.) and I would like some advice on setting up for the first time.

I intend to install T:DS then apply the official 1.1 patch. After this I was going to install the latest Minimalist 1.2 mod. Is this the best set up? I've heard that the official patch fixed an AI bug where the skill level would revert to Normal after a quicksave. Does it still revert to Normal at the beginning of each new mission? The Minimalist mod info. says that it removes some features of the game like mechanical eye etc. Does it actually remove them altogether, or just some of the graphical effects like interface etc? I fear the game may be too tough for me if it actually remove some of Garretts tools. ;)

Also, are there any other patches / mods to help improve the game? I don't really want to be forever tweaking .ini files but I don't mind adding patches etc.

KiruKlan
27th Nov 2004, 12:21
The patch is a must, as it enhances the AI, making them a bit more...intelligent. However, I'd stay away from the minimalist. I suggest you just play the game how it was meant to play, and just dont use a certain tool if you dont want to. I mean, I played through the entire game without ever using the eye. So patch it and then play.

Mr. Perfect
28th Nov 2004, 00:02
What I do is instal TDS, install the patch, and then install John P's superb little texture mods. You can get them here (http://www.graphics-by-john-p.com/textures/Thief-DS/index.shtml). John P's mod also tones down some of the odd new colors/glints to a more Thief 1/2 style, so I've never felt the need to remove more with the minimalist project.

I'd sugest first trying it with the above setup, and then if you find some of the new features bug you, get the minimalist setup.

DBrown67
28th Nov 2004, 11:11
Thanks for the advice guys. Those textures look great! I've downloaded those together with the official 1.1 patch ready for when I get the game. The Minimalist is for the hardcore players of Thief 1 & 2 then, to give it more of an original look and feel?
OK.... I'll skip this add-on for now. But it's cool that people out there are creating extra stuff for these games.

Ian Flaer
29th Nov 2004, 14:47
I really like the minimalist project and John P's textures both. JohnP's textures improves the loot glint which is, unfortunately, necessary and makes the blood and water splats look like blood and water splats instead of colored play-dough splats. It also improves the appearance of the people you meet. the minimalist project gets rid of all the annoying gears and clamps that surround your weapons and equipment as well as the clanking noises that go with them. it also removes the lock-pick HUD and this is the only thing it removes that I think could give people trouble. all you have to do to pick locks without the HUD is move your mouse in a circle until you hear clicks then sweep that portion of the circle until you see Garrett's right hand move up so that the pick in that hand is almost straight up and down, then just hold that position until the tumbler sets into place. it's not hard. the eye zoom is still there but it removes the funky black and white screen that over-lays the picture when you zoom. it also removes the noise associated with the eye zoom.

IN SHORT: the minimalist project removes the things that prevent immersion into the game. GET IT. USE IT. LOVE IT. it WILL enhance your game experience.

One last rant:
The thief games have always been big on sucking you into the game to the point it feels real. this is why you jump and almost have a heart-attack when that zombie you thought was dead suddenly gets up, or that ball of fire floats around the corner of the lost city and starts chasing you and shooting fireballs. sadly the new game has many features that detract from this immersion. Happily, The Minimalist Project fixes pretty much all of them.
so go ahead try the game without the minimalist project for a mission but then try it again WITH the Project installed. hey, if you don't like it, uninstall it. I think you'll like it.

Mr. Perfect
30th Nov 2004, 02:04
That eye thing does get on my nerves. Can you use the minimalist project to disable only certain features, or does it do all of them in one go?

Ian Flaer
30th Nov 2004, 15:12
there are a few groups of features that you can choose to install. also if you want to change them you don't have to uninstall it, you can just run the installer again and change the settings. that's what it says, I haven't tried it yet. yeah, the eye and the gears and clamps on everything really bugged me. I'm very happy with the Minimalist Project.

DBrown67
30th Nov 2004, 16:03
Well.... I downloaded the Minimalist project as well. I think I will give it a go seeing as it doesn't actually change the mechanics of the game, just the way it is presented. That's cool with me! :)

Lia67
30th Nov 2004, 18:42
I wasn't used to the new keyboard configuration, so when I changed it to the way I was used to, I left the eye key blank so the setup was more like T1 and T2.:)

Although I left in the wall hugging feature, that came in really handy.;)

Mr. Perfect
30th Nov 2004, 22:31
So I could turn off the funky eye effects and still use the lockpicking HUD? If so, then I'm there! :D

Ian Flaer
1st Dec 2004, 06:23
maybe Mr. Perfect, I can't remember if those two features are together or not. trust me though, you don't need the HUD, in fact I have found it easier without the hud as it distracts me. the only thing about the HUD is that it DOES tell you how many tumblers there are right off the bat, but that's never been a problem for me.