PDA

View Full Version : A little worried: Huge provinces.. dominate world in 2 jumps

BlackCoat
26th Nov 2004, 18:13
Or to spell it out.
With huge provinces that allow a walk from moscow to paris in.. what, 3 jumps?

Meaning, you only have to have one fairly strong military, and you can basically take all the provinces in the game in so few jumps.
Or for other problems, having your nation lose and regain their capital every 5 turns.

Surely it would be a bit silly, with say preussia sitting across whole of russia, while russia is divided between that (all too-) huge balkan province and scandinavia? ..only to see those positions switched a bit later with ottomans sitting in scandinavia..

Or perhaps it takes 10+ rounds to actually take a province, while the defender can keep on building troops, and recieve partisan help?
Thus making "fast `n vast" mapchanges less common..

Willmore
26th Nov 2004, 20:17
I'm 100% that's not how it works. I would think there are "under-provinces".

uber_panzer
26th Nov 2004, 21:53
Yeah when you position your army on a provence it will divied into combat areas or sub-provences

Capt.Jack Aubrey
27th Nov 2004, 06:12
Well think of this, Maybe The moves are like in Age Of Wonders. You take a few amount of moves, that don't move you to province to province right away. So maybe your don't make it to Paris in three moves, Maybe you don't even leave england in three moves. Hopefully they do it this way. It would make sense when you think about it.

BlackCoat
27th Nov 2004, 13:11
Lets just hope some of you guys are right, since im not keen on seeing another M:TW campaignmap, except even more fluid....

Capt.Jack Aubrey
27th Nov 2004, 20:22
Well, If they do make movement on the campaign map in Age Of Wonders, It will be great way to show the movement. But it is realistic, Can you really move that far in a it's time period? Maybe the turn base is like a month, or a day, maybe a year. Who knows. We will just have to wait until it is realeased.

uber_panzer
27th Nov 2004, 23:02
i would like to see them copy the way the campaign map works in rome:TW (with some teaks of course for the new gameplay)

i would love if they did that

CaptTermiteUSN
27th Nov 2004, 23:21
I'd like to see Sean Connery playing the Duke of Wellington.

LOL Bond beats Boney in three moves.

BlackCoat
28th Nov 2004, 17:20
Originally posted by Capt.Jack Aubrey
Well, If they do make movement on the campaign map in Age Of Wonders, It will be great way to show the movement. But it is realistic, Can you really move that far in a it's time period? Maybe the turn base is like a month, or a day, maybe a year. Who knows. We will just have to wait until it is realeased.

Well, i kind of doubt nappy spent several years walking the grand armee from paris to moscow. Rather like 6 months, top?

Does anyone know, how long DID it actually take?

CastusPlebian
28th Nov 2004, 19:21
Think Risk everyone, how most countries were divided into sub countries and/or counties such as Yakutsk,Kamchatka and others. Im sure it will be as such. If not as you said, it would be quite stupid to have the chinamen in italy =p.

The_Russian_Rocket
29th Nov 2004, 22:24
They began marching to Russia on 19th of October,1812 in heat and dust and very quickly the pace - an average of 40 kilometres a day (25 miles) - together with the load they were forced to carry, along with a lack of good water, had men falling out sick and exhausted. Within two days, some 50,000 troops had melted from the Grande Armee.

By the time the Grande Armee reached Moscow, desertion, sickness, leaving garrisons and battles had whittled its numbers to 100,000 men.

The return march saw it disintegrate from one of the most magnificent modern armies put together to a rabble that virtually fell across the River Niemen on 14 December, 1812.

Of course my sources could be wrong, but this is a good description of the march.

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 22:36
Wow 3 months. Go Nappy. Too bad about all those troops though. You would think Hitler would have looked at the past before he launched Operation Barbarossa on Russia. Russia is so incredibly hard to overcome because of the insane winters they have. Also the russian people are used to winter fighting, so its basically suicide. Some barbarians from the east were the only ones able to invade russia successfully and that was before it was russia and it had no standing army. Did anyone notice that Ghengis Khan and Attila the Hun completely bypassed that frozen rock we like to call Russia? Who the hell wants it anyways? Its all ice and snow. Its like invading Greenland.

PS. Who the hell came up with "Green"land. Its not green whatsoever! Damn you erik the red!

Capt.Jack Aubrey
29th Nov 2004, 22:38
He probably got confused with iceland and greenland lol!

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 22:39
Iceland is cold too! It may be a bit greener, but its still freakin cold!

Capt.Jack Aubrey
29th Nov 2004, 22:42
Well the Russians used this as a big advantage. They would lure the enemy so deep they would die to death fromt he cold. A smart plan. But really I would hate to live in Russia, so cold.

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 22:43
Lol Jack thats exactly what I said above. Damn the russians and their 60 degree below 0 weather! No offense to any Russians, I just dont like your cold weather.

Capt.Jack Aubrey
29th Nov 2004, 22:49
Nor do I. I don't like their 11 time zone either! Evil Russians! And There Stinking Polotics!:mad:

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 22:52
First of all... yes they stink they need showers. Secondly.. Damn those commies! Thirdly.. its spelled POLITICS.

Capt.Jack Aubrey
29th Nov 2004, 22:55
Oh MY Curses

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 22:56
Wow what en elaborate post. =p You should be commended for your generosity in using your extensive vocabulary you bumbling imbecile!

im joking.

Arctic_Wolf
29th Nov 2004, 23:19
too... much... spam!

http://www.jmls.edu/graphics/spam.jpg

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 23:25
Lol nice pic wolfie. Its not spam... its chitter chatter cause no one else is posting.. muaha.

The_Russian_Rocket
29th Nov 2004, 23:36
Stinking "Polotics"?! I'm not even going to TOUCH this one! Must...Stop...Myself!

http://www.blamethepixel.com/sigs/spam.mug.jpg Praise the Python

CastusPlebian
29th Nov 2004, 23:45
Dont make me disarm you...russian...lol.

Willmore
30th Nov 2004, 02:24
back to a more historic discussion.

Hitler actually did look at Napoleon's invasion, and planned for the cold winter ... not very well, but he did.

He invaded Russia on the longest day of the year - June 22nd. As such, it would provide him with long days to complete his rapid assualt on moscow. Almost succeded.

CastusPlebian
30th Nov 2004, 02:30
Wow 3 months. Go Nappy. Too bad about all those troops though. You would think Hitler would have looked at the past before he launched Operation Barbarossa on Russia. Russia is so incredibly hard to overcome because of the insane winters they have. Also the russian people are used to winter fighting, so its basically suicide. Some barbarians from the east were the only ones able to invade russia successfully and that was before it was russia and it had no standing army. Did anyone notice that Ghengis Khan and Attila the Hun completely bypassed that frozen rock we like to call Russia? Who the hell wants it anyways? Its all ice and snow. Its like invading Greenland.

Like I said before, its so hard to invade russia.

Capt.Jack Aubrey
2nd Dec 2004, 03:09
Originally posted by The_Russian_Rocket
Stinking "Polotics"?! I'm not even going to TOUCH this one! Must...Stop...Myself!

http://www.blamethepixel.com/sigs/spam.mug.jpg Praise the Python

Sorry, at the time where I am it was 1 in the morning, and I wasn't looking at the screen, half typing, half... erm finishing my homework...:(

CastusPlebian
2nd Dec 2004, 03:31
Thanks for bringing that back up so we can laugh at you again. =p We had forgotten about it. *points and laughs*

Lonewulf44
2nd Dec 2004, 16:51
Originally posted by uber_panzer
Yeah when you position your army on a provence it will divied into combat areas or sub-provences

Back onto the topic, I hope your right, cause I was worried about the same thing. Eben still, I wish they would break up those bigger territories into at least 3,4 smaller ones.

Long Live Prussia!

{Imperial_Legonaire}_Empi
16th Dec 2004, 20:46
Maybe when you attakc a province you take alittle bit of the income you get from it away and then they have to move on to take the City, or Castle, can we have Cities and Castles seperate, becos on MTW london is a castle and what 3 or 4 buildings, no river, i mean what. And in Rome TW Deva, now chester has the River Dee, wheres that on Rome.
Empire

BlackCoat
16th Dec 2004, 23:39
check the faq. Theres an update on this issue :)

Looks like its just like in MTW, that it will take a few rounds before each province is absorbed.... doesent sound good. But i guess looking closer will confirm wheter its really as bad as it sounds.

Well it could work, aslong as the owner can use the besieged province, and the ai is atleast somewhat logical in its wars... not like in mtw where it dows anyone who has grown, and sticks to agreements. And hopefully the minimum siege is more than just a few rounds.

looks like there will be some level of sublevels...

FAQ
*** What is there to tell about the map?
The game will feature over 50 maps, divided throughout England, Russia and Morocco, across 51 provinces and 31 maritime regions. You’ll be able to switch between military and commercial view to get different information. You’ll move from province to province by dragging your armies and ships (in a similar way to TW.) Provinces are set sizes, though you won’t be able to take them over straight away. You’ll need a period of assimilation, which can be altered by various factors (numbers of troops there, buildings constructed, etc.) The Empires’ influence in each of the provinces is represented. Right-clicking on a province will bring up a dialogue box with this information, together with information on resource production and the topography of the region. This doesn’t go down to city-level though. It’s up to you how many places you want to invade per turn. Whether you’ll have sufficient forces to be successful though, is another matter.

Mr. C.
5th Jan 2005, 15:20
I'm still a bit concerned about the strategic map. It does resemble RISK a bit. The countries boundaries seem to be rough approximations as well. I also thought, in looking at the screenshot, that there was thicker boundary lines as well as thinner ones contained within. Do they factor in during play or are they just there?

andytimtim
5th Jan 2005, 23:54
everyone study the campaign map very closely, look at the provinces, and you'll see very thin black lines all over the place. Now what this MAY indicate this that the big yellow, blue, red etc blobs aren't actually the provinces but countries boarders. Now look at the big provinces and you'll see smaller provinces within them...thin blacklines. This is just my guess. To what these balck lines are.:p

EDIT-Curse you MR.C you beat me to it!!! :D I should really start to pay attention to these posts. :o

Mr. C.
6th Jan 2005, 12:28
No prob andytimtim, glad to help out :p

BlackCoat
6th Jan 2005, 14:05
Sure colors are countries, but provinces are still pretty large, like the whole balkan..

Some thinner lines do exist, but those rarely cross the whole province an look more like rivers. They even are located where you would remember he rivers are ;)

Which still makes the uk of eng+scot+wae+ire = no more than 5 provinces. (the only one that is zoomed real close, long enough)

And if any of those can be conquered in a single batttle and a few years or sieging, how do we escape the mapmobility of MTW? (anything to keep russia from taking ottomans in 6 battles & dominated the map afterwards? ..and i really hope the solution isnt that preussia, austria etc dows me.. `cause thats a sucky mechanism)

As compared here to EU2 with 5* as many provinces and negotiations before anything is really gained, where you still can go conqer- crazy, its just a lot harder.