PDA

View Full Version : Riflemen....

LordUxbridge
24th Nov 2004, 15:30
Someone should tell these guys that British Riflemen wore GREEN, not RED. Historically accurate....?

The_Russian_Rocket
24th Nov 2004, 16:33
Yes, this is correct. Why they are wearing red I really don't know. I would like to see this fixed.

asmodeus
24th Nov 2004, 18:50
another funny thing .Why is the Black Watch made out a a major unit it was only one of highland/scottish regiments. what about the Coldstream (2nd Foot Guards) a much older scottish regiment raised for the first time in civil war?

Arctic_Wolf
24th Nov 2004, 20:16
The British troops are wearing red mostly because the devs have generalised the colours of uniforms so that they don't alienate huge amounts of their potential market, i.e the people who remember

Red = UK
Blue = France
etc.

Until recently i thought that all british uniforms were mainly red aswell. I think the actual detail like buttons and patterns are still quite accurate. I agree with this, a real life millitary commander of the 19th century would probably find it a good idea to memorise all the uniforms of his nation, however we are not real life millitary commanders of the 19th century and I would far rather get straight into the game than spend an hour sorting out who is who.

Blackwatch, probably media interest today.

CaptTermiteUSN
25th Nov 2004, 20:22
''... the devs have generalised the colours of uniforms so that they don't alienate huge amounts of their potential market, i.e the people who remember.''

Are you kidding? Whose knowledge of the game is this based on?This is a ridiculous reason to use to put good units in the wrong uniform. If the game designers think they can only sell this game if they conform it to people's misconceptions of what armies or navies looked like you'll end up with another stupid pyrate movie.

I think Total War proved that players will gladly bring themselves UP to the standards of a game environment, rather than shun a game because they thought they would see something different.
We expect to see some compromise within the game, but for the right reasons- ie if the size of the game is too great to hold all the various unit types that existed historically- not because you think it wont sell if colors arent right. Most guys are half-colorblind anyway. haha

Term

Willmore
26th Nov 2004, 01:47
Ok, so if you have a Lancer unit dressed in green, and a dragoon unit dressed in green from different nations, you will be able to discern them in the heat of the battle ?

CaptTermiteUSN
26th Nov 2004, 02:22
In the Civil War some Confederate Officers began their career wearing the blue uniforms they had from Military Academy. And occasionally Rebel troops picked up and wore blue when they had no other clothes. Both produced some confusion. But Lord Ux was talking specifically about the Green Jackets, a rifle corp. There were no cav units being conjectured about that were green.

Willmore
26th Nov 2004, 03:01
I was speaking in general terms.

And there were many units during the Napoleonic wars who wore similar uniforms. And when those uniforms are simplified to the size that are used in most games, and this one will be no exception, there will be units that are simply too similar.

But since you're such a hardass, I was not able to find any pictures, but Napoleon Guide provides some comparison of the colors.

http://www.napoleonguide.com/cavalry_aucolltd.htm

http://www.napoleonguide.com/cavalry_rucolhus.htm

The first - Austrian Dragoons
The second - Russian Hussars.

As you see, both have dark green jackets. And the Kaiser regiment even matches the Riga regiment.

An even better point, is the fact that all Russian infantry wears Dark Green jackets, how would you have been able to differentiate them from British riflemen ?

The_Russian_Rocket
26th Nov 2004, 04:23
Originally posted by Willmore
An even better point, is the fact that all Russian infantry wears Dark Green jackets, how would you have been able to differentiate them from British riflemen ?

Simple, when you click on them they are yours. Or you can drag a box around them and they are selected in the case of a bayonet charge.

You could also make the Jackets on the riflemen "Light Green". I would rather like to see the Green Jackets with green jackets.

I believe someone suggested small blue circles around troops indicating they are yours and small red one indicating they are the enemy. This might not work with the numbers we are dealing with but it's a start.

Willmore
26th Nov 2004, 04:30
The blue-red thing was my idea :-)

In any case, in my opinion, the current way of things might be unpopular, but it will make the most sense, once we all play the game.

Have you played Cossacks ? they had the same thing, so what's the big deal ?

Walsh
27th Nov 2004, 06:07
Originally posted by asmodeus
......what about the Coldstream (2nd Foot Guards) a much older scottish regiment raised for the first time in civil war?

The Coldstream Guards are one of two regiments of English Foot Guards. They were not and are not Scottish.

Coldstream is a pleasant town just over the Scottish side of the border (I was there in August) and Monck's regiment took its name from this town which is where it was stationed for a time. The Irish, Welsh and Scottish have their own guards infantry regiments, and they are distinguished on ethnic or national lines. Quite typically the English regiments ignore their own national origin. It is a regiment of interest to me because my grandfather served in it in WWII.

Kai-Arne
10th Dec 2004, 17:10
Originally posted by LordUxbridge
Someone should tell these guys that British Riflemen wore GREEN, not RED. Historically accurate....?

Are there some screens with British Riflemen in red? Hopefully they'll fix it! And what about British Artillerists? Hopefully they will wear blue uniforms, as they did!

Kai-Arne
10th Dec 2004, 17:15
Originally posted by Walsh
The Coldstream Guards are one of two regiments of English Foot Guards. They were not and are not Scottish.
It is a regiment of interest to me because my grandfather served in it in WWII.

You're granfather was soldier in WW2 ? Mine as well! My Norwegian grandfather on Norwegian side (quite logical) , and as you can guess my German grandfather...

Willmore
10th Dec 2004, 18:42
So was mine .... the easier question would be whose grandfather wasn't ?

sick
10th Dec 2004, 22:14
Mine.

Kai-Arne
11th Dec 2004, 17:54
Originally posted by Willmore
So was mine .... the easier question would be whose grandfather wasn't ?

My father's grandfather was not! He was German officer in WW1! ;)

Angel SNR [HG]
14th Dec 2004, 16:54
Really what they ought to do is the traditional thing of player colours, there is a stanrd skin for each unit eg. british rifleman and then depending upon which player it belongs to a different stripe of colour is added to the uniform.

ThinRedLine
14th Dec 2004, 17:29
Hello Gentlemen,

That is not a horrible idea at all, but just for the record, I think that this game will have more legitimacy in the Napoleonic War fan base/community that already exists, if it tries to stick to accuracy over color coding for ease of play.

We fans of NTW (Napoleonic Total War) are very used to Russian green coated Line Infantry and Grenadiers assaulting British 'Green Jackets'. It is easy once you get used to it mates!

The folks who play this game will get used to it too.

Uniform Differentiation and accuracy is a game draw not deterrent

Salute!

[GG]TRL