PDA

View Full Version : Now what?

KiruKlan
24th Nov 2004, 00:28
Hi, anyone rememeber me? I was the one who had a four year old computer and was trying to run the game without a decent graphics card. Well, I took all your suggestions, and I went and got a new computer. The most important thing to note however, is that I went with a full upgrade and bought the new ATI Radeon X800 Pro video card. Pretty good card eh? Hah, if only I could use it. I tried the "check video card" option on the game installer, as I did on my old computer, and just like the old computer, it told me that my video card does not support the pixel shader. Now, what the hell? Why wouldn't the newest video card support that? I thought then that it might just be the drivers. I went to their site and downloaded the drivers for XP. Yeah, all 3 of them. Did any of them work? No. Here's the message they gave me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/KiruKlan/Help.jpg

Yes, I tried installing the right drivers, I'm sure. I made sure it was for the X800 and XP. Agh.

Please, I really need help now. I know my video card is more than good enough. What the hell is wrong now? Thanks in advance.

theBlackman
24th Nov 2004, 00:45
You need to check with GATEWAY for the help you need. It looks like THIEF is looking for the Driver INF in a location different than where it expects to find them. Maybe GATEWAY has put them someplace else to keep them from contamination. Like it does the "RESTORE" files.

I assume you don't have the original X800 install disc. I know the X800 works with TDS and other games needing Pixel drivers, because a friend of mine runs a LAN CAFE with 26 systems from DELL that use the X800, and all the games run with no problems.

This includes about 15 of the most current releases including those of Everquest, Battleground, Halo, Halflife, Warcraft etc.

So I suggest you use GATEWAY TECH SUPPORT and see what they have to say.

KiruKlan
24th Nov 2004, 00:47
Gateway was no help. They had no idea what the hell I was talking about. The ATI folder is under Program Files. I tried, but I cant even get into the actual installation of the drivers.

Perhaps I'm just installing to the wrong location. Where do I need to install it to?

theBlackman
24th Nov 2004, 00:56
OK. You normally load the driver updates in the same place. With ATI most of the UPDATES, are really complete new drivers and always suggest removal of the OLD drivers.

At this point, I'm not sure what to tell you. But www.omegadrivers.net has updates (approved by ATI) for nearly all the drivers. It also has a DRIVERCLEANER that removes all old driver installs, and other options.

You might check there for information, as well as for links to other places with ATI information.

One such is www.rage3D.com where continual discussion of problems and solutions for ATI and Nvidia drivers is ongoing.

KiruKlan
24th Nov 2004, 00:58
Would it to much to ask for an automatic driver downloader? Heh, does one exist?

Edit: This isn't ****ing funny. Newest graphics card available. I'm actually seriously pissed at Gateway. They cant give any damn support. They just say it's a "configuration problem"; call ATI. God damn it. Too much **** to go through to play one ****ing game.