PDA

View Full Version : Artillery

Angel SNR [HG]
21st Nov 2004, 21:51
How mnay different artillery units are we going to see in IG. I know that the British will have congreves rockets (I pray they will be stupidly innacurate like in real life!) and I've seen "cannons" in the screenshots and films. However will we see howizters and mortars in the game too and will their be a couple of different sizes of cannon? I'd like to at least see 18pounder siege cannons that are slow moving and need oxen to move as well as 12pounders which can be galloped about my a horseteam.
Finally how mnay different types of ammo will we see, obviously roundshot but will grapeshot and heated shot have a part too?

Willmore
21st Nov 2004, 22:02
TAFN says that there will be 6-pounder, 12-ounders, howitzer, and their counterparts that are horse-driven.

The_Russian_Rocket
22nd Nov 2004, 00:51
The Rockets were not meant to be accurate, they were fireworks meant to scare enemy horses which obviously did some damage. Heated shot would make sense on ships but not on the battlefield.

CaptTermiteUSN
22nd Nov 2004, 03:38
Heated shot was used by shore batteries, but no captain in his right mind used heated shot on ship board. The risk of fire makes it too dangerous. The extra time, crew and coordination it takes to load heated shot would also slow the rate of fire so much that such a ship would be pounded into submission by an adversary firing cold shot rapidly and with good aim.

The danger of ships to shore battery fire was very real, and a well-sited battery can out shoot a ship in terms of accuracy, so ships didnt spend a lot of time going directly up against them with out some diversion or landing party to do the dirty work.

We love the guns too and hope there will be the ability to tweak features of artillery so that it is historically accurate. If its either too strong or too weak the balance of forces in the game can really suffer too.

Capt Termite USN
USS Constellation 38

The_Russian_Rocket
22nd Nov 2004, 20:48
Hehehe it was wrong to challenge the captain, I'll stick to my strengths.