PDA

View Full Version : making of t3



Tobin010
13th Nov 2004, 01:01
Hi

can I just ask ... without re-installing and checking

did a different company make t3 -
as in - different to the people who wrote and made t1 - t2 ?

I know its all eidos - so Im talking about the programers etc
;)

tealsmith
13th Nov 2004, 01:23
Originally posted by Tobin010
Hi

can I just ask ... without re-installing and checking

did a different company make t3 -
as in - different to the people who wrote and made t1 - t2 ?

I know its all eidos - so Im talking about the programers etc
;)

Eidos didn't make any of the Thief games. It merely published them.

Thief 1 and 2 were developed by Looking Glass Studios. Thief 3 was made by Ion Storm (though I believe a number of former LGS employees were part of the development team, including the director of the first two games and the writer).

Tobin010
13th Nov 2004, 01:50
:)
thanks Tealsmith, and ..
>>>Eidos didn't make any of the Thief games. It merely published them>>>>
thats why I said .. I know its all eidos - so Im talking about the programers etc

now I can check out ion storm, but my initial thoughts are they should have stuck with looking glass :)

tealsmith
13th Nov 2004, 03:13
Originally posted by Tobin010
now I can check out ion storm, but my initial thoughts are they should have stuck with looking glass :)

That would have been nice, but considering LGS folded years ago, rather impossible ;)

Peter_Smith
13th Nov 2004, 07:27
More importantly, there was a huge change in direction from management, throwing in things like Xbox, different engine, Havoc physics, resulting smaller levels, and many other "features" that pushed the game to be completely different in many respects. Programmers were kind of led by the nose, I think.

Mawerick
13th Nov 2004, 18:55
Originally posted by Peter Smith
More importantly, there was a huge change in direction from management, throwing in things like Xbox, different engine, Havoc physics, resulting smaller levels, and many other "features" that pushed the game to be completely different in many respects. Programmers were kind of led by the nose, I think.

I find it quite amazing that they managed to keep T3 as much thief-like as they did. It must've been quite a legacy to bear. :)

Tobin010
15th Nov 2004, 00:34
quite amazing that they managed to keep T3 as much thief-like as they did

why ? its a job, thats what they do,
I have to admit that I am enjoying the game, even tho I keep hitting blatent shortcuts and laziness in the programming,
well maybe not laziness but more managerial decisions ??

its a great game, unfinished but still great, I hope the writers of thief are wealthy and happy, they gave us something good

I miss the coal powered robots and now I'm in audale the rope arrows too ! the climbing gloves are cool but have little use

Bring back the clanky robots - never mind changing the era eidos !!! "we've done medieval" indeed

Underhill
16th Nov 2004, 18:38
They did it better than both 1 & 2 IMO. The engine they used must be quite powerful, not seen anything like it.

Tobin010
19th Nov 2004, 01:28
The engine they used must be quite powerful, not seen anything like it
sure you have - ?? never heard of unreal ?

Look - I am a big Thief fan, and so I feel I have the right to comment when such changes are made, "give the people what they want" is my policy, there are so many mistakes in this version that I have to be "the complainer" even though I am still enjoying the T3 storyline, I hate profiteering, thats means pushing something out before its finished,

the story is great - the graphics are great - the assembly is a bit ?? well ?? I'm privately content with the fact that the programmers can now look at the management and say
"told you so" because its gonna be eidos and ion branding that suffer - just search t3 in google you'll see

tiny maps - many reloads - 2 or 3 audio playing over each other -
Lots of "jerky play posts"
even advice on altering the files ?? eh ?
12 stickys ? lots of graphic card posts ? hmmm
dont blame the worker ants ...