PDA

View Full Version : Me, my computer and thief

Excel
10th Nov 2004, 23:13
Im new to the world of fourms, but not to thief, been with it since it came out, i remember that wonderful day i walked in to the shops and picked it up, theif always remained a dark mysterious game, any one feel that? it made you feel the magic and curiosity about keepers etc... i think the music helped with the tension SO much :) any ways i think thief DS managed to hit it just right and bring back that mystery of the game, the music and everything felt like #1 again, the feel of the keepers and their secrets, and the cutscenes were perfect along with the little fun ending :D
any ways i got

-pentium 4, 2.8ghz
-ati radeon 9800 pro
-1024mb ram
-160gb hard disk space
-sound blaster audigy, with 6:1 surround sound speakers
-xp pro
But i notice the game still slightly jerks a bit, ive tried other 3d cards, like gforce 5 and an older ati but they were no good, this new card makes best work from it, and i keep resolution at 1280X1024 but going to lowest dosnt improve it what so ever
:confused:

any one got a solution??????

Schmoe
11th Nov 2004, 03:45
tou can turn down the detail settings...

but---

in your system the processer is a bottleneck compared to your video card.

also---

find a friend who is very knoledgable about computers and turn off some of the windows services that run in the background. they eat up processer clycles, and slow gaming performance.

you shoudl only have about 19-20 running processes in the background for optimal performance. all that stuff by your clock.... bad mojo for gaming PC's

Excel
11th Nov 2004, 10:47
thanks for the advice, but i have 36 processes running and thats from a fresh install of xp and i always keep the tray clean , i thought it was the mouse at first, so i swapped them but still nothin, i can still play it, i finished it and was very pleased, i was just woundering if theres ways to improve it for laters

Lake
11th Nov 2004, 13:18
I have 17 processes running.

Schmoe
11th Nov 2004, 18:39
Originally posted by Excel
thanks for the advice, but i have 36 processes running and thats from a fresh install of xp yikes.

here is what the PC guru from another game i play posted (he invented the SCSI cable years ago, and does the tech support now for fun with this game)

GENERAL CPU UTILIZATION

Windows, by default, has several processes which run in background, that can cause odd problems with online gaming as well as security issues.
For Windows 2000 and XP users:
Go to your Control Panel and doule click the "Administrative Tools" ICON. Then double-click the "Services" ICON.
This will show you a list of processes Windows will run or start at boot time. Some will show as "Running". To alter the state of any of the listed processes, simply right-click on it, and select "Properties" from the pop-up menu.
The processes you can safely "Disable" are as follows:

Automatic Updates (this is one nasty program)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service
Fax Service (NOTE: unless you are using your computer to send/receive FAXES)
Internet Connection Sharing (NOTE: unless you use your computer so that other computers access the Internet through it)
NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing
Messenger
Print Spooler (unless you have a printer connected)
Remote Registry Service
Routing and Remote Access (unless your computer is also acting as a router for the LAN)
Smart Card
Smart Card Helper
Task Scheduler (unless you have your computer automatically run programs for you...not recommended to leave enabled)
Telephony (NOTE: XP and Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 or later users may not be able to disable this without it disabling your Internet connection)
Telnet (unless you want to be able to telnet to your computer from a remote location......not recommended to leave enabled)
Uninterruptible Power Supply (unless you have a Windows compliant UPS system)

All others are at your discretion, but take care. Windows will allow you to shut off services that can keep your computer from booting. The ones you must not touch have RPC in the name.

A well tuned Windows 2000/XP system should only have about 16 background processes running

Guineapiggy
11th Nov 2004, 22:03
Originally posted by Schmoe
tou can turn down the detail settings...

but---

in your system the processer is a bottleneck compared to your video card.

Not true. No bottlenecks there at all. They're barely six months away from eachother in terms of when they were 'the latest thing.'

also---

find a friend who is very knoledgable about computers and turn off some of the windows services that run in the background. they eat up processer clycles, and slow gaming performance.
Good advice. Don't trust certain websites on this issue however, you should make sure every system disabled is not required for you personally and that ever system not required for your personal use is disabled. Really cuts ram usage though with 1gb of ram I seriously doubt this is the problem. Good tip anyway.

you shoudl only have about 19-20 running processes in the background for optimal performance. all that stuff by your clock.... bad mojo for gaming PC's [/B]

Schmoe
11th Nov 2004, 22:25
Originally posted by Guineapiggy
Not true. No bottlenecks there at all. They're barely six months away from eachother in terms of when they were 'the latest thing.' "the latest thing" doesnt matter...the latest thing right now is pci-X which hasnt really been released yet, but will be. the latest AGP graphic card will not work in that system, though less than 2 months apart in release.

that CPU can not send enough information to the video card to keep it busy, hence frame sticks because the video card does not know what to do, it is "ahead" of the CPU.

to really get the full use of a 9800 you'd need an athlon 64 or better at minium (that is to get the full use of the card).

read toms hardware, and other up to date sites to learn what is going on with different system configurations. a quick example, athlon XP2600 barton NV chipset MB, 512 RAM, and 2 diff video cards.. ati 9700 and gf4 ti4800.. which better FR in a game? the GF4 because of the system architecture.

the "latest thing" is a myth. at least if you believe what best buy salesmen tell you.