PDA

View Full Version : Naval - Gunnery

WilliamBushUSN
10th Nov 2004, 04:18
I was wondering if IG will take into account the very significant difference in the speed of loading and reloading of long guns and carronades between the different National Navies. The USN and RN being of course the best...with others being on average much slower.

Regards,

Bush

CaptTermiteUSN
11th Nov 2004, 01:38
It would be cool if there was a way to train your crew to be more efficient at various activities. Gun drill was a major factor in how individual ships performed in battle.

Vic Flange
16th Nov 2004, 10:22
We're looking into highlighting differences between the Empires as we balance the game. Our plan is to make the nations react in realistic ways when controlled by the AI, but as a player, it'll be up to you how you develop the various parts of your navy, army, politics etc.

There're no specific gun drills, but crews will get better with experience and also by researching things on the Tech Tree.

Angel SNR [HG]
21st Nov 2004, 21:58
I like the idea of increasing the speed at which a crew reloads but of course there was a reason for the other nations being slower than the British... they often had 2,3 or 4 times as many troops as them so reloading time wasn't seen as important. ie. "Why should my 20 men be able to fire as fast as your 5 men as we outnumber you 4 to 1 anyhow!"
Therefore I'd only ever support giving specific nations bonuses over others if the other nations ahd bonuses in different areas eg. British can fire faster but French troops are half the cost

Willmore
21st Nov 2004, 22:07
I remember a game - Sea Legends.

The reloading behind it was so:

24 pounders require 5 gunners to fire effectively, the less there are, the slower the fire.

12, 16 pounders needed 4 as I remember, and so forth.

As such, 10 gunners for each gun would not make any difference.

Something similar would work, I think.

CaptTermiteUSN
22nd Nov 2004, 03:47
I think a more typical gun crew on a ship would be a gun captain,aimer and 3 or 4 men per side per gun for 8 or 10. I would question the ability of a four man crew to load and fire fast enough, especially to run out on the weather side of a ship. 10 in a gun crew for a 24 lbr fits into the space and is not overkill on the muscle at all. You need extra hands available to prevent boarding when close to and to fill in spots caused by causualties in close action too.

Willmore
22nd Nov 2004, 09:13
I never said that was accurate :-)

I just said that such an idea was the best for such a game. Ie - a set number of men per gun, the less the men, the slower the fire.

WilliamBushUSN
24th Nov 2004, 03:41
I wonder if you you will be able to fire as guns bear, or will it be essentially a solid broadside as in Age Of Sail II. I think having the guns fire as they bear would bring a bit more of realism to the game.

What do the rest of you think?

Bush