PDA

View Full Version : Deleting save files from the HD

JohnJSal
8th Nov 2004, 05:37
Is there any way to know which save files/folders are associated with which save point I made? I'd like to delete some, since I have a lot, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to know which is the most recent.

theBlackman
8th Nov 2004, 05:43
My Documents> THIEF-Deadly Shadows> SAVEGAMES> OPEN> Pick any one of the (1DEf180...) and OPEN it.

You will see the name of the area, the time and date it was made.

Or the simple way, is OPEN and look at the date and time of those listed. Windows does that for all files anyway.

So just pick the most recent ones you want to keep, by date and time.

JohnJSal
8th Nov 2004, 06:27
Where am I supposed to see a date and time? There are a lot of files in each folder, and several of them have different 'date modified' times.

Also, what is the "Current Save" folder?

Clumsyorchid
8th Nov 2004, 06:38
You can always delete saves in game if you are unsure of what folders to delete.

theBlackman
8th Nov 2004, 06:45
I don't know what you mean by CURRENT SAVE FILE. Each file is a saved mission. OPEN the file and look at the date and time to the right of each entry in the file (DE180...) etc.

Your most current save will be the one with the most current date and time.

It will show you the REALTIME DATE and the hour that that file was last used.

The files are NOT IN PLAY/SAVE ORDER. You will have to open each one and look for the most current dates.

The top one MAY BE the most current.

The most current dates and times will be the most recent files you saved.

All the files are redated when you quit the game, but the internals of the files are listed and dated for when you last used that save (IE loaded or played it).

So file 12DEO18*** will show a date that is the last time you played the game. 11-11-04 1:23 Am, for example.

If you OPEN it you will see:
Loadfilter 09-06-04 3:23 PM
Metadata.ion 09-06-04 3:23 PM

And so on. These dates and times will be when you last used or made that save.

EDIT: Like Clumbsy Orchid says. If you want to prune and are not comfortable fishing around.

Just start the game and go to the LOAD menu. SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM by clicking on the very bottom blue arrowhead and then use the Right Mouse to delete the files from the bottom up.

JohnJSal
8th Nov 2004, 07:15
Within the Save Folder, there is a folder called "Current Save," and I was wondering what that was.

As for deleting from the game itself, that doesn't seem to remove the actual data from the HD, so the folders are all still there.

Now, about checking the dates, I'm still not sure what you mean. Every folder is a different string of letters and numbers, and they aren't all 1ED or whatever you said. Inside each folder are about 12 or so files, and most of them seem to have different dates and times for when they were last accessed. So I don't understand what *one thing* you want me to look at to determine which is the newest. There doesn't seem to be a way to do it.

theBlackman
8th Nov 2004, 07:37
The folders will stay. Each section of the maps in the games has its own place to be saved. The NAMES (12DEO34 etc) stay the same.

If you are looking for a file that includes the entire save as you know it from other games forget it.

The individual items that you see inside a named listing are the pieces that all add up to the SAVE at the time you made it.

If you look at a handful of them and OPEN the (243FEG etc) and look at the items inside, you will see dates and times going back to the very first time you started the game and made a save.

When you start the THIEF- Deadly Shadows has an empty SAVEGAME folder and a Laucher.log.

As you make saves it creates the (357FHW12 Etc.) files I continues to make new ones as you move from area to area, and overwrites the information into the folder as you make new saves in that area.

Use the RIGHT CLICK and don't worry about the file names you see.

The game knows what is going on even if you don't.

You can only clear ALL the files by opening the SAVEGAME folder, and wiping EVERYTHING OUT with the usual SHIFT CLICK and DELETE FILE.

And for your purposes I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS ACTION.

Just use the RIGHT CLICK, clean out the earlier ones from the bottom up and keep the three or four at the top of the list.

JohnJSal
8th Nov 2004, 18:58
I'm sorry, but I find your comments too cryptic. I really don't know what you are trying to say most of the time. For example: "If you are looking for a file that includes the entire save as you know it from other games forget it." That doesn't make sense to me. Are you saying that any one particular save game file uses multiple folders to store information?

And as for right-clicking in-game, the whole reason I want to delete some of my old files is to clear up disk space, which will not be accomplished by just deleting them from the game menu.

theBlackman
8th Nov 2004, 19:48
Check the size of the SAVEGAMES. RIGHT CLICK ON THE FOLDER THIEF-DEADLY SHADOWS Scroll to properties it will say XXX megabytes for size.

REMOVE a few saves, and check again. The megabyte count will go down.

This means that the save you removed is gone from the HDD count of used space. Ergo, you now have more HDD SPACE.

Right clicking INGAME from the LOAD menu DOES REMOVE THE GAMES FROM YOUR HDD.

Let me rephrase that. The HDD treats it like any file you delete, and the space is now available for use. As far as the HDD is concerned the deleted (removed game save) is now free space and will not show up in the SAVEDGAMES folder, and in the USED megabyte count on your HDD.

JohnJSal
8th Nov 2004, 20:32
REMOVE a few saves, and check again. The megabyte count will go down.

This means that the save you removed is gone from the HDD count of used space. Ergo, you now have more HDD SPACE.

But this is the point of my post. I don't want to just delete random files to free up disk space, because I might accidentally delete my most recent save, which I want to keep. That's why I'm asking how I can figure out which of the save files is the newest one.

theBlackman
8th Nov 2004, 22:53
When you look at the LOAD file THE MOST RECENT IS AT THE TOP AND IS DATED. Open the ESC menu. GO TO LOAD. SCROLL TO THE VERY BOTTOM OF THE LIST YOU SEE. On the right is a ROD with a blue arrow at the top and bottom.

CLICK THE BLUE ARROW. That will take you to the bottom of the list of saves. The saves you see on that page will be DATED AND THE HOUR OF WHEN THE SAVE WAS MADE.

South Quarter 06-01-04 12:32:33 for example. JUST START RIGHT CLICKING AND CLEAN OUT UNTIL YOU SEE the most recent dates (anything in late October or early November).

It's not hard, and if you READ THE NAME OF THE SAVE, and the DATE AND TIME IT WAS MADE, you can keep the last 6 or 600 that you made.

Every SAVE in the LOAD file menu (ESC) HAS A NAME, DATE, AND TIME.

This is NOVEMBER. This is the 08TH. This would show in the menu as 11-08-04 with a TIME STAMP. This appears UNDER THE NAME OF THE AREA YOU WERE PLAYING WHEN YOU SAVED.

theBlackman
9th Nov 2004, 00:40
I could add this as an EDIT to the above, but you might miss it.

To make it as simple as possible. If you START THE GAME. GO TO LOAD. The screen shows about 3 SAVES you made. START THE GAME WITH ANY SAVED GAME FROM THE LIST.

NOW ESC out of the game Now SELECT LOAD and look at the SAVES THAT ARE LISTED IN THE LOAD list.

To the right is a brown bar with black hash marks along it. This bar is topped with a blue arrowhead, with another at the bottom.

If you CLICK ON THE BOTTOM BLUE ARROWHEAD. You will move to the VERY FIRST SAVE YOU MADE IN THE GAME, unless you overwrote it or deleted it before you asked the question about removing game saves.

This will have a name, a date and a time. The name is where you were, the date is the month, day and year. The time is in universal 24hr format and shows the hour, the minute, the second that you made that save.

You can remove this save from the list, the SAVEGAMES folder and your HDD, by RIGHT CLICKING ON IT.

You can continue to do this until you have as few saves as you want to remain.

The VERY FIRST SAVE NAME IN THE LOAD MENU (Blue arrowhead to the top of the bar) is the MOST CURRENT SAVE in your collection of saved games.

NOTHING SAYS "CURRENT SAVE". It does say ( CREATE SAVE ) I think this is where you are getting confused. THERE IS NO "CURRENT SAVE" by name.

EVERY SAVE HAS A SPECIFIC NAME and a DATE AND TIME STAMP, except the QUICK SAVE which only has the DATE AND TIME.

JohnJSal
9th Nov 2004, 03:09
I understand exactly what you are saying, but I'm not convinced that deleting saved files from the Load menu actually deletes them from the HD, thus freeing up space. I'll have to try it and see for sure, though, because I have so many save files deleting a few won't do much. I'll have to delete several and see if they get physically deleted as well. (Although I tried it once and nothing was in my recycle bin, so unless they get automatically removed, then they aren't being deleted from the HD.)

Clumsyorchid
9th Nov 2004, 03:11
If you delete them from the game, they will not appear in your recycle bin, they will just be deleted.

I just confirmed this with the demo I have installed on my home computer. Since the code is identical, there will be no difference for the full version.

theBlackman
9th Nov 2004, 04:09
A number of games have a delete or remove feature for saves. These do not appear as RECYCLE files either.

Had you said you were looking in the RECYCLE BIN, this whole thing would have been over 8 posts ago.

As Clumsy Orchid said, they are deleted. They DO NOT SHOW UP AS A RECYCLE BIN FILE. They just go Bye Bye and free up the HDD space.

JohnJSal
9th Nov 2004, 04:26
Originally posted by Clumsyorchid
If you delete them from the game, they will not appear in your recycle bin, they will just be deleted.

I just confirmed this with the demo I have installed on my home computer. Since the code is identical, there will be no difference for the full version.

Well, one reason I'm not sure about this is because when I first started the game, I wanted to start over completely a second time. But when I did so, I found that all the items and loot were still listed, even in my new game. So I figured this was a remnant from the first save game files I had. So I deleted them in-game, but the problem persisted. Then I went to the folder on my HD and found that there were still save folders there. When I deleted these, the problem was fixed. So why is it that when I deleted the files from the Load menu, there were still folders in the save file folder that I also had to delete manually?

Clumsyorchid
9th Nov 2004, 08:45
I'm stumped on that one. I checked today and the save folders are completely deleted from the HD when you delete them in game. Still though, the items in the menu will not affect your game. It's kinda annoying, but only kinda and shouldn't cause any problems.

JohnJSal
18th Nov 2004, 18:40
Originally posted by theBlackman
A number of games have a delete or remove feature for saves. These do not appear as RECYCLE files either.

Had you said you were looking in the RECYCLE BIN, this whole thing would have been over 8 posts ago.

As Clumsy Orchid said, they are deleted. They DO NOT SHOW UP AS A RECYCLE BIN FILE. They just go Bye Bye and free up the HDD space.

In another post you said: "I would expect that the REMOVE just does the normal delete from index. If it is not showing up in your recycle bin, then it's just being removed from the SAVE GAME INDEX FILE"