PDA

View Full Version : American Civil War?

DwCHeston
5th Nov 2004, 22:40
I know Europe is great and all. But what about for us Yanks across the see. Will there be an expansion of this game that is about the American civil war. I have always wanted a game like that and there is not one to be found.

sick
5th Nov 2004, 23:04
If you read through the forum you'll see a lot of positive reactions. I think this will become an even greater community and I hope the game is well selling. Then the developers can't do anything else than making an expansion. ;)

I also hope they will make the game open for modding, which all of their previous games are not. It will give us the opportunity to modify the game to our wishes and adding new continents as you (and many others who went before you) mentioned. I think it's a real pity they don't support modders, communities would have been bigger and last longer.
I'm a real big fan of Pyro Studios, but I don't have the feeling I'm "not allowed" to have my critics on this point. I also mentioned this in my FAQ:

Will the game be open for modding?
Pyro Studios never released any modding tools for their games, though, they did release unofficial information on how to decode many files found in the .PAK files in Praetorians.
Many times has been asked why they don’t release an editor for their games, then their answer was that their games are too complex for modding because every mission is unique and one of it’s own. The real reason has been said only once: “to avoid the crappy scenarios that so often appear on the Internet.” If Imperial Glory will feature an editor is unknown, but it is not expected. Official word from Pyro Studios or Eidos may follow later.

I hope they will ever change their minds. http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/forums/images/smiles/yes.gif

WilliamBushUSN
6th Nov 2004, 02:25
There is a new indie American Civil War game coming out in Jan-2005. I thought you may be interested.

See link below:

http://madminutegames.com/

Bush

The_Russian_Rocket
6th Nov 2004, 21:49
The problem with the civil war is that there are only 2 sides: The Union and the Confederacy. While IG will have: Russia, France, Britain, Austria, Prussia. I enjoy more of the variety.

Arctic_Wolf
6th Nov 2004, 23:54
I think it would be interesting to expand the game world, it's so rarely done, and when it is done it's seldom very good.

Lonewulf44
8th Nov 2004, 16:45
Originally posted by Arctic_Wolf
I think it would be interesting to expand the game world, it's so rarely done, and when it is done it's seldom very good.

As a fellow 'Yank' I want to play the european nations first and foremost, but I think the American Civil War would be a great expansion pack as it would totally increase the strategic map area, and allow europe to move and take territory in the Americas, likewise the USA, (or CSA) could move to take colonies in Africa (if included in ex pack) as well. I think this would be great!

Long Live Prussia!

gladiator1332
22nd Nov 2004, 23:28
I too am a "Yank" interested in the European battles, but I too would like to see a Civil War and American Revolution expansion for Imperial Glory. It would make for a great expansion pack.
Of course, if an expansion pack dooes come out for American conflicts, then we would have to see how it compares to a game called American Conquest, which deals with America from 1492- Up until the American Revolution. I am downloading a demo for this game so let you know what I think, but I think since, Imperial Glory is newer, it would be much better than AC.

Though it does seem there is some interest in America. I read in an PC Gamer "First Look At Imperial Glory" that you can unlock "side quests" one of which is Louisiana's battle for Independence.

uber_panzer
23rd Nov 2004, 02:48
there are plenty of idea here are some i have heard\thought of

American Civil War:yep you know what that is.

American\Mexican War:Remember the Alamo?

The war of 1812: canada\indian and british forces kick american\french ass when they try to invade canada.

War for independence: America kicks Britans ass

Anymore? Just say

BOOYAH!!!!

Lonewulf44
23rd Nov 2004, 17:32
Well, the expansion pack does not have to simply be limited to the Americas, I would love to see eventually an African and Asian map for colonialism included. But for an American conflict list, I would have to take out the early ones such as the American Revolution, but would love to see a War of 1812 scenario. Good thoughts.....but I'll try to keep my focus on the fields of East Prussia......!

Long Live Prussia!

haradrim
23rd Nov 2004, 22:05
i dont think the expansions should be limited to just the ages of gunpowder i have yet to see(or hear of) a good rts based on the pelaponesian(sp?) wars. just think of the variety you could have with all those city states and their frequntly changing alliances a war of the pelaponesian league versus the athenian empire would be a blast to play and if the developer wanted to expand even more they could include persia. you could also start out with no states allied with each other and everyone starts from scratch. just think how neat it would be to conquer the whole peninsula as corinth.

though this would probably be another game in itself

Arctic_Wolf
23rd Nov 2004, 22:12
Sounds like a rather bad game called 'Sparta' to me

haradrim
23rd Nov 2004, 22:20
i dont think sparta was too much of an rts and i also think that if a big name developer supported it(like pyro) a really good game can come out of it. Really though you cant say a game is going to be bad just because it had a bad game with a similar idea that preceded it. thats like saying that WW2 themed games are horrible because some of them were total failures.

The_Russian_Rocket
23rd Nov 2004, 22:52
A game that goes from 1700's to Ancient Greece.......BAD IDEA. Anyway with the subject,

All these ideas are great but the multiplayer has to be split in half. Plus if there is a Civil War edition, it will have to be split once more.

Arctic_Wolf
24th Nov 2004, 00:44
I didn't say all greek games would be failures, I was just pointing out there is already a game that you desribe, it is called sparta or spartan and that is was bad.

uber_panzer
24th Nov 2004, 01:19
Originally posted by haradrim
i dont think the expansions should be limited to just the ages of gunpowder i have yet to see(or hear of) a good rts based on the pelaponesian(sp?) wars. just think of the variety you could have with all those city states and their frequntly changing alliances a war of the pelaponesian league versus the athenian empire would be a blast to play and if the developer wanted to expand even more they could include persia. you could also start out with no states allied with each other and everyone starts from scratch. just think how neat it would be to conquer the whole peninsula as corinth.

though this would probably be another game in itself

HMMMM.... age of empiers,rome total war,Rise of nations etc etc...

there are to many games based on this period. RON has some other ages,but the first 2-3 are the same and the individual ages weren't made very well in my opinion.We finaly have a game based on this period of turbulance ONLY.

haradrim
24th Nov 2004, 15:53
sorry about getting deffensive then artic-wolf i didnt understand what you meant
now on to you uber_panzer
I MEANT A GAME JUST CONCENTRATING ON THE PELOPENSIAN WARS
I thought i had made myself clear. obviously not since you are using examples like RTW, AoE and RoN, and in case you didnt know the peloponesian wars is the war between the greek city states, such as corinth, sparta, corcyra(sp?),etc. not including any other nation(except maybe persia since they had some minimal involvment in the war.

uber_panzer
24th Nov 2004, 22:24
what i am trying to say is we have plenty of games on that period sure there are no games based on the PELOPENSIAN WARS.it is a good idea but make it a seperate game

haradrim
25th Nov 2004, 00:46
then we are agreed uber lets call a truce:), and my appologies as well to anyone else i may have offended

uber_panzer
25th Nov 2004, 03:01
ok truce...FOR NOW lol