PDA

View Full Version : Game runs jerkily?

JohnJSal
4th Nov 2004, 23:08
Before I say anything, I have to admit I'm playing Thief on a notebook computer. But it's a new computer with more than enough specs, so I don't know if that's the problem. At any rate, I find that when I move around in the game, it's slow and a little jerky, and not smooth at all. Are there ways to fix this, or is this just a result of my notebook graphics card? (ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo). I have a gig of RAM, and everything else, so I don't know what to think.

Peter_Smith
7th Nov 2004, 18:56
I'll bet it is the graphics card. 9600's have been reported as marginal on desktop systems. This does not mean that it cannot be improved. I suggest you do a search for Catalyst. Some versions of the ATI drivers are better than others. I do not have a Radeon, so I don't remember what are the good versions.

JohnJSal
7th Nov 2004, 19:27
Originally posted by Peter Smith
I'll bet it is the graphics card. 9600's have been reported as marginal on desktop systems. This does not mean that it cannot be improved. I suggest you do a search for Catalyst. Some versions of the ATI drivers are better than others. I do not have a Radeon, so I don't remember what are the good versions.

I think I might have found a good setting after all. It turns out that it was the high settings for shadows or details or bloom that was causing it, but it was the high resolution. I have it at 1024x768, and all the settings are still high, and it runs fine now. And this resoultion doesn't even look all that bad, it's not too different from the higher resolutions, probably because the details are high.

bandc
10th Nov 2004, 21:21
ok I have 3 problems... PLEASE HELP ME

1.) I just beat the game two days ago, and I uninstalled it for whatever reasons. The problem is that today I tried to reinstall it I got a error.
Comp: GameFiles_US
File: D:\data3.cob
Error: Data error (cycle redundancy check)

2.) The game is very jerky and I don’t understand this because all the setting are as low as they can go. I clicked on the check video driver button on the install screen and it said…
Mobility Radeon 9000
Driver version: 6.14.10.6458
Pixer Shader: 1.4
Direct X: 9.0c

Ready to Play!

3.) Finally, I CAN’T improve my status with the pagons because I don’t know how to grow the vines. I know that I am supposed to shoot the gray spider that is at ground level and it is supposed to protrude a little bit. I went to the first green symbol, where the note is, by the dock. I knocked out the two pagens, and shot arrows everywhere. I though I saw the gray spider on the bottom part of the right arch. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Can someone help me, maybe give me a screen shot. I don’t know I feel like a retard for not being able to figure this out, someone just help me Please.
A

rustmite
10th Nov 2004, 21:35
Solution for # 3:

The green symbol on the wall is not a cornerstone! From the green symbol you talked about, Head back toward the entrance to the docks. Go up the stairs past the fence's shop. As soon as you emerge from the small hallway, look to the right corner atop the second set of stairs. There you will see a cornerstone. Shoot it with a moss arrow, then you only have to find the other 14!:p

Mr. Perfect
10th Nov 2004, 22:23
As for #2, well you're in the same boat as John, only on a lower deck. Probably down somewhere in the bilge water... Not only is it a mobile card(mobile cards are ususaly slower then their desktop brothers in order to save battery time for laptops), but it's a 9000. Even John is having trouble with a 9600, so your 9000 is going to have a hard time of it.

JohnJSal
11th Nov 2004, 02:09
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
As for #2, well you're in the same boat as John, only on a lower deck. Probably down somewhere in the bilge water... Not only is it a mobile card(mobile cards are ususaly slower then their desktop brothers in order to save battery time for laptops), but it's a 9000. Even John is having trouble with a 9600, so your 9000 is going to have a hard time of it.

Actually, my problem seems to be fixed. It turns out that what was making it run so jerkily was the resolution, and not the settings at all. When I started a new game, I left all the default options (which means details and shadows are high, and bloom is on, but the resolution is only 1024x768). I wouldn't think the resolution alone would cause this problem, but it seems like it did. I also defragged my HD at the same time, so that might have helped too.

Mr. Perfect
11th Nov 2004, 06:43
High resolutions are one of the biggest strains on a video card. It has to calculate effects and lighting on each one of the pixels on the screen, wether it's 1024x768 pixels or 1200x1600 pixels is going to make a huge diffrence.

JohnJSal
11th Nov 2004, 06:58
Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
High resolutions are one of the biggest strains on a video card. It has to calculate effects and lighting on each one of the pixels on the screen, wether it's 1024x768 pixels or 1200x1600 pixels is going to make a huge diffrence.

And the lower resolution still looks really good, so I don't feel like I'm losing too much. Especially since I wouldn't be paying such close attention to anyone's clothes, or the walls, etc. after I've been playing for a few hours. :)