PDA

View Full Version : Nell McAndrew backs search for sporting legend

MissLara2U
27th Oct 2004, 11:53
Global icon Nelson Mandela today joined forces with leading charity Help the Aged in calling for people from the South West to nominate their sporting heroes as part of the nationwide 2005 Living Legend Award scheme. The initiative is open to individuals, aged 60 or over, who have shown that age need not be a barrier to physical pursuits or have devoted their time and sporting talent to help others.

Last year’s awards ceremony saw Nelson Mandela, 86, the former president of South Africa, receive a Living Legend award. He said: “Last year I was delighted to receive a Living Legend Award from Help the Aged. Nothing can explain the pride a person feels when their efforts are rewarded, especially when the recognition is as prestigious as a Living Legend Award. It is with great pleasure that, as a previous winner, I have the honourable task of launching the search for older ’Living Legends’ on behalf of Help the Aged.

“Awards are given for many reasons but when you are honoured by your own local communities, they mean so much more. The Living Legend Awards celebrate older people who have done extraordinary things to become legends in everyday life and recognise the outstanding gestures of courage and acts of kindness. It is now my turn to ask you to look to your communities, your neighbours, your friends and family to help us find the Living Legends of 2005.”

Top model and celebrity Nell McAndrew, Help the Aged’s sport and events ambassador, today added her backing to the initiative. She said: “Today there are so many awards for various sporting achievements, but the Living Legend Awards acknowledge the contributions made by the older people of our society. There are a large number of older sporting heroes who deserve to have their achievements recognised. Now is the time to nominate anyone whom you know is worthy of this legendary award. With your help we can celebrate the real living legends in sport.”

news.scotsman.com

M.

www.tombraiderchronicles.com
www.tombraiderforums.com