PDA

View Full Version : Post your questions for the devs here

Mike_B
23rd Oct 2004, 08:45
Hiyas all,

We will have the opportunity to do an interview with the developers in the future. For this we would like to have your input as well. So if you have questions post them here. We will make a list of questions too, compile it and forward it.

Thanks

MagyarKhans Cham
24th Oct 2004, 09:50
1* are u gonna make it possible to output teh battle in a campaign so u can play it online vs humans and input its result?

2* are u, like TW, making teh mistake to thumb down tactics and controls to reach a bigger and younger market?

3* in what order do u place the next items concerning importancy....
- gameplay
- replayability
- atmosphere
- graphics-eyecandy
- depth

and add a few yourself if u miss any

thx in advance

Czar
24th Oct 2004, 14:19
How will the recent release of ROME:Total War affect this title?

What did you like?

What did you hate?

What did you learn?

Will it make any difference?

Willmore
25th Oct 2004, 08:11
Are you aware of the fact that the Russian flag depicted on the screenshots was not adopted as the civil flag until 1858, and prior to that had little to do, if anything with the Russian Empire's symbols ? Do you plan on looking into that ?

Lonewulf44
26th Oct 2004, 16:54
What kind of diplomacy will we have at our use in the strategic map? How many options can we ask/refuse to other countries? Can we do things to increase our odds of say an Alliance? For example, I'm Prussia and I'm thinking that I'd rather join the French and take a bite out of Russian poland, will I be able to ask/join the alliance? Or can I just ally with Britiain and fight who I choose. How static will the alliances and countries be? In short (sorry for length) what kind of direction will I be able to give my country?

sick
26th Oct 2004, 20:32
Remember, we also have these threads at the TAFN forums.
http://forums.tafn.info
www.tafn.info/forums

Keep them coming!! http://forums.eidosgames.com/images/icons/icon14.gif

haradrim
27th Oct 2004, 20:11
Just wondering about the MP, how would the battles work out would you just start out w/ your army so the game would be maneuvering for postion on the battlefield or is basebuilding needed to field your army.

WilliamBushUSN
29th Oct 2004, 15:22
I just found this site.

I have been a part of the Age Of Sail II (Akella) community for some time now. We are organized by major navies of the 1776-1815 period.

We often have large naval battles with up to 10 players playing simultaneously together which allows for fairly decent size fleet actions. The game is getting old and many in our community have been looking for an alternative and the joining of both naval and land actions in one game (Imperial Glory) seems more than intriguing, in fact too good to be true.

Do those who know a lot about the development of this game think that this could be a good fit for our community?

I have come to realize that the robustness of multiplayer seems to be the key to an interesting game (many of us are now only playing mutliplayer - AI becomes too boring to quickly). For instance I noticed that Age of Sail II allows for up to 10 players, and when Age Of Sail II Privateer's Bounty came out after, they spruced up the game a bit but multiplayer was reduced to 4 players max, and it became at least for me a much less interesting game.

Again a question for the Developers, do you see Imperial Glory offering sophisticated naval battles like Age Of Sail II, or hopefully even more sophisticated battles?

Also, anyone else who is interested in the Naval side of the Napoleonic Era please chime in.

Regards,

Capt Wm Bush USN

Mary, Queen of Scots
29th Oct 2004, 23:13
If you follow the developments for RTW you must realize that many people are incredibly disappointed with the AI in both the strategic and tactical sides of the game. Will you actually produce an AI that provides a decent challenge to experienced gamers who are coming to the table with years of war gaming experience or is the game aimed more at the casual gamer?

As a long time STW and MTW player I certainly hope that your game becomes the game I want to play for the next 2 years. Do you wish the same thing? Is a long term player community a basic desire of your company?

The_Russian_Rocket
31st Oct 2004, 16:27
I am questioning this ability to "take cover". What happens when there is no place to tkae cover and you give the command? Do they scamble around?

If this is turn based as you say, how will we make sure that one person doesn't just go off during their turn and doesn't return?

Will weather be a large factor in this game? (If there is weather at all)

CaptTermiteUSN
31st Oct 2004, 17:57
For me this is the major area missing from other period military simulations. Developers of land or naval warfare simulations have expertise in one area but not in both. Yet in real warfare of this and all periods, they are not at all exclusive. Can this game manage to incorporate manuvers in both elements successfully?

Can you develope the game with the ability to fire on ships from a sited battery on land, while moving troops to defend against a landing? Can you create a ship environment that is capable of sailing and fighting other ships, yet be able carry troops, board and carry out ship-to-ship h2h, disembark troops, sailors and marines into various authentic ships boats, barges, smaller rowed or sailing craft etc, and take them ashore?

All simulations of this nature become a compromise of what is possible (or programmable) in the environment, as well as how many players can concieveably participate at the same time while online. If this game can visualize these elements I would bet my mistress's knickers it will be a humongous hit.

Enough of my wish list for the time being. I also hope the game will include flags for US ships as well as other naval forces represented in Europe and elsewhere in the world.

Remember guys? As good a game as Viking Invasion was the sea just sat there empty. They didnt even attempt to create a sail-able Viking vessel. I was sorely disappointed with that fact.

Cheers,

CaptTermiteUSN
USS Constellation 38
Chesapeake Bay

Spaghetti Hoops
11th Nov 2004, 18:18
Will there be an option to increase unit numbers in the in game menu? As IMHO 2000 units(sprites) seems ridiculously low for battles of this era.

Ney
12th Nov 2004, 12:31
Just looked at screen shots for Imperial Glory, check out 3rd screenshot of British army, the British never fought with 4 gun battery's in the Napoleonic wars they were always in 3's. Colour's also wrong as all woodwork was painted grey!! so looks like some hasn't done there homework. Will be rectified before game is released?

Walsh
12th Nov 2004, 15:18
Do the Developers recognise the vital part that Naval Warfare played in the Napoleonic Wars?

Each nation will reportedly have its own characteristics and strengths, so will the game acknowledge and simulate the fact that England relied heavily upon her navy?

Will the Developers be putting as much effort into Naval Warfare as with Land Warfare?

Dread_lahll
15th Nov 2004, 19:42
I here much about the campain part, ide like to know how indetph is the tactical part (battle map) in particulal the command and control features (how you move your troops arround) how indepth will it be. Like can we make complex groups oronly issue orders to 1 unit at a time.

Clausewitz
15th Nov 2004, 22:35
1. If the game has a speed slider, will it range from slow to fast, and NOT from racey to warp speed as in certain other games?

2. Will the game's naval simulations take into account wind, tide, drift, wind shadow, leeway, heel and tack?

3. Will the game's naval battles include the options of boarding; carrying out repairs during battle; capitulation following (threatened) loss of flagship; capturing ships for own use in future battles?

4. Will overseas trade and naval operations be interdependent?

5. Will the game allow for amphibious or combined naval/land operations?

haradrim
26th Nov 2004, 15:24
a few questions:
1. Are their POWs
2. will your men surrender if they are they are being massacred in a battle.

thanks in advance

sick
26th Nov 2004, 17:05
Can't think of real good questions just yet, only for this one:

Will the game be open (in some sort of way) for modders?
If the answer is no, is Javier Arévalo working on the game? (You'll understand why I'm asking this after reading this thread: http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34656)

uber_panzer
26th Nov 2004, 22:15
I know it is to early to know but what are the chances for expantion packs and if so what will it\they be like\based on

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!

BOOYAH!!!!

CaptTermiteUSN
27th Nov 2004, 23:17
How abt some beta testing?

Clausewitz
21st Dec 2004, 01:13
Originally posted by @m
We will have the opportunity to do an interview with the developers in the future.OK, @m, that was back in October.
Did you have the interview, and if so, has it been published?
Are you going to have the interview, and if so, when?
Did you forward out input to the developers as promised?

Do you understand that we are dying for more information on what promises to be a fantastic game?

Sorry for being impatient! :rolleyes:

Claus

sick
21st Dec 2004, 08:10
We will send in the question soon. We will keep you guys updated, of course.:)

Mike_B
21st Dec 2004, 10:46
Originally posted by Clausewitz
OK, @m, that was back in October.
Are you going to have the interview, and if so, when?
Did you forward out input to the developers as promised?

Do you understand that we are dying for more information on what promises to be a fantastic game?

Yes, February.
Will forward the info.

Off course I understand it, I'm doing my best, and obviously I'm as eager as you to receive new information.

sick
21st Dec 2004, 14:17
Now, that was a quick update, wasn't it?;)

Clausewitz
21st Dec 2004, 18:50
Originally posted by sick
Now, that was a quick update, wasn't it?;) It was, Sick. And thanks, @m. :cool:

Mr. C.
5th Jan 2005, 13:35
My biggest question at this point is when will we know what the system requirements are?:confused:

langmann
17th Jan 2005, 01:35
Is there going to be a pause button that allows you to issue commands to the units while the battle is paused?

For those of us who enjoy real strategy instead of the point and click junkies that play RTS, having the ability to issue a complex array of commands and then releasing the pause to allow them to happen is crucial. Otherwise the game degenerates into just a swarm of the best units charging.

Also gives me a break to go get something to eat.;)

Czar
17th Jan 2005, 14:32
Originally posted by langmann
Is there going to be a pause button that allows you to issue commands to the units while the battle is paused?

For those of us who enjoy real strategy instead of the point and click junkies that play RTS, having the ability to issue a complex array of commands and then releasing the pause to allow them to happen is crucial. Otherwise the game degenerates into just a swarm of the best units charging.

Also gives me a break to go get something to eat.;)

Tis a fine idea m'lord!

Would be good to issue a "written" order to a runner and have it conveyed across the field with a chance of it getting waylaid, lost or misunderstood...

When I say 'written' I mean generated from a set of pull down menus or similar?
Select UNIT
Select OBJECTIVE
Select FACING...

Could be something a bit different?
Still, I don't know what made me think of that - I've seen screenshots of the User Interface - it wont happen this game.

Kagetora
18th Jan 2005, 04:07
Is the campaign map going to be point to point moving or province to province?

haradrim
19th Jan 2005, 21:34
can you capture cannons? if that is possible can you order your gun crews to spike the guns before they can be captured?

Clausewitz
25th Feb 2005, 01:16
Yes, February.
Will forward the info.

Off course I understand it, I'm doing my best, and obviously I'm as eager as you to receive new information.February is nearly gone, @m. Any chance we'll see our questions to the devs answered now?

Thank you,

Claus

The_Russian_Rocket
25th Feb 2005, 01:27
We'll be mailing our interview today when we have the answers you'll see it here :)
Theres your answer.

Mr. C.
25th Feb 2005, 13:22
Yes, February.
Will forward the info.

Does this mean we can expect to see the results of the interview sometime in March? :)

Mike_B
25th Feb 2005, 15:29
Yes we should have our questions answered by then.

We're just waiting on a response and as soon that we have it won't take long to put them online, the preparation is already done. When we have it will take a day max to put them up (but it won't be that long :p )

Might as well copy/paste sick's post on the site:

Now, I'm sure ya'll are eagerly waiting for the interview, and started to wonder when we finally get the answers back. Well, so did I. After mailing Eidos I can get you good news and bad news. The good news is that it didn't accidently landed in the trashcan, the bad news is that you have to wait a little longer. The devs have been 'mega mega busy' recently so didn't had enough time for it yet. So for now you have to do it with the screenshots.

Clausewitz
26th Feb 2005, 02:51
Yes we should have our questions answered by then.Good to know you're on to it, @m. I'm really looking forward to some more detail on the coming game.
Thanks m8! :)

Claus

Hannibal-Sun
1st Mar 2005, 14:48
I would like to know if a multiplayer demo will be available anytime soon.

I made the fatally expensive mistake of purchasing RTW off the sheer reputation of Creative Assembly and Activision. I like a lot of Eidos' games as well, but I'll tell you now...I will not purchase anymore games over $30 on rep nor without a test.

We had to wait several months to get a decent playable multiplayer game with RTW. I like what I SEE in Imperial Glory, but I also liked what I saw in RTW. By the way, RTW is a little more acceptable - but why create a game that had such a nice multiplayer engine and forget about that part entirely.

On another note, I have not seen much marketing for IG. The developers are really going to have to do more than rely on word-of-mouth...I really would like to see a multiplayer demo for this game. If the multiplayer is subpar, I will not bother with a purchase unless I can see one of my friends play it and enjoy it, but, hey, they won't be falling for the trick either. We still play and enjoy MTW/VI and will be heading into the new Samurai VI mod soon.

Otherwise, when it drops below $30, I might venture to pick it up.

Sorry to sound like such a snob, but I have been playing strategy games for years, and like chess, I like to play real players versus artificial intelligence.

So developers, can we get a multiplayer demo at least a month before the real game comes. It is now March 2005...April is not far away.

How about it!?

Thanks for listening.

The_Russian_Rocket
1st Mar 2005, 19:08
Edit
The shizzle has been sent away!! :D Little late, sorry Hannibal.

sick
1st Mar 2005, 21:57
Of course we aksed what the demo will feature, but not particulary if there will be both a single- as a multiplayer demo.

Czar
8th Mar 2005, 09:33
Questions for the Devs?

Are you still there? :(

The_Russian_Rocket
8th Mar 2005, 20:58
They should be there TSAR because they keep sending screenshots to Spanish sites and haven't found the time to make their way on to THE BOARDS!

sick
8th Mar 2005, 21:19
They should be there TSAR because they keep sending screenshots to Spanish sites and haven't found the time to make their way on to THE BOARDS!

Maybe if I translate TAFN to crappy Spanish with Altavista BabelFish they might respond a little sooner. I understand why they let the Spanish sites go first, but god, I'm waiting for over a month already!! And so do you guys, of course. :(

(type name here)
12th Mar 2005, 22:35
How realistic are the physics in the game?

The_Russian_Rocket
13th Mar 2005, 02:59
The physics will most likely be quite realistic "Nameless". Sorry to say, but the question will not be included into the letter. You are too late.

sick
14th Mar 2005, 21:36
Oke guys, I have great news! Today I got an e-mail directly from Iñigo Vinós, saying that we will get the interview back this week (hopefully in a couple of days, maximum.) The answers are coming from José Manuel Garc*a (project lead for Commandos Strike Force), François Coulon (executive producer for Imperial Glory) and Iñigio himself.

Stay tuned! :D

BlackCoat
15th Mar 2005, 16:21
Weee!

That will be fun to see.. and to what extent answers have been given.
"a couple of days".. hmm.. well if its within the month it would be nice.

Cro_Knight
4th Apr 2005, 23:19
HEY IM FROM VANCOUVER
2010 BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

well anyways will there be campaign menu like battles for
Blucher Wellington Napoleon and that russion leader ummmmmmmm. he fought at Borodino i forget he was a master though

Sveland
7th Apr 2005, 04:15
yeah, why does a whole unit need to rotate in order to fire? why is there no stand gound option? why cant i make my own custom formations like in the Total War series? How come when a whole unit is marching using the tactic formations they get all dissaranged while marching and cant stay in line?

Guevara
7th Apr 2005, 08:13
all these suggested should have really been implemented into the game, and it makes me sad reading all of em. Especially the amphibious operations since this game is based on naval/land opertaions :(. Man i hope SOME off these suggested features are put into it. A stand ground command is vital

Mike_B
7th Apr 2005, 09:29
Hmm no need to leave this open. The interview (http://www.tafn.info/TAFN/imperialglory/html/info_interview_feb2005.php) has been putted online and other discussion should go in their respective threads such as demo feedback.

~closed~