PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Eye

force12c
23rd Oct 2004, 06:36
I am new to Thief. How do I use the mechanical eye? I can't find any way to zoom in or out. I have looked at the controls in the game and there isn't anything about the mechanical eye. Thanks in advance for the help.:confused:

Clumsyorchid
23rd Oct 2004, 07:12
pc default: arrow key up to zoom in, arrow key down to zoom out
xbox default: d-pad up to zoom in, d-pad down to zoom out

Surely you have a manual?

force12c
24th Oct 2004, 04:37
Originally posted by Clumsyorchid
pc default: arrow key up to zoom in, arrow key down to zoom out
xbox default: d-pad up to zoom in, d-pad down to zoom out

Surely you have a manual?

I have the manual for the game. I have re-mapped the arrows for movement forward and back and side to side. This is easier for me. I am playing on a PC. Is there any way to remap the zoom in and out for the mechanical eye? If not I'll just have to do without.

Clumsyorchid
24th Oct 2004, 05:01
Go options, inputs, find "ZoomIn" and "ZoomOut"

Change to whatever suits you :)

force12c
24th Oct 2004, 05:22
Originally posted by Clumsyorchid
Go options, inputs, find "ZoomIn" and "ZoomOut"

Change to whatever suits you :)
I found zoom in and zoom out this time. I have always just clicked on the down arrow in the input options. This time I tried dragging the green button down. When I did this there was zoom in and zoom out. Thanks for opening my eyes for me.
On another subject. What were the names of the first Thief games? I would like to buy them if I can still find them.

Vanguard
24th Oct 2004, 05:42
Originally posted by force12c
What were the names of the first Thief games? I would like to buy them if I can still find them. Thief Gold (Thief: The Dark Project, 4 added missions, patch already applied)
(TDP = Thief: The Dark Project, TG = Thief Gold, T1 = Either of these)

Thief: The Metal Age (Get the patch)
(T2 = Thief: The Metal Age)

Try eBay. Be sure to figure in the S&H for the total cost.

To install, run "setup.exe -lgntforce".

Crinic
24th Oct 2004, 15:30
I ran across this thread regarding the mechanical eye . . .

I loaded the mechanical eye onto my scrolling mouse button (center wheel) and for awhile decided it was pretty cool - easy to be moving and still be able to zoom in an out - I have trouble with total-key operations having grown up with a mouse ( I am 43 chuckle)

Personally other than distinguishing the difference between mobs in Thief: Deadly Shadows, I find the mechanical eye pretty useless. My comp. (not a cheap one but not a total gamer either) sees through the Mechanical Eye in a hazy, tan image which shows little detail. (Personally if I had one in real life I would rather be blind).

My add to this thread is this: Is it possible to clean up the image on the Mechanical Eye ( chuckle - maybe Garret just needs to take it out an wipe it once in awhile!)?

Correction
6th Nov 2004, 17:21
Crinic, the "hazy tan image" projected through the eye is not a result of your computer. It's supposed to be like that. The image noise and the tint are there for effect, so that it looks as though you're viewing the world through an imperfect man-made contraption. Keep in mind that the Hammerites who built it didn't exactly have the high-tech equipment of 2004 at their disposal. Plus, when considering it from a gameplay perspective, there needs to be some disadvantage to using the eye. You never want to provide the player with a *perfect* gadget. It greatly subtracts from the potential enjoyment of the game.

Underhill
6th Nov 2004, 19:09
I immediately thought nightvision when I used it. Meaning it operates similar to for instance the night googles in 'Silence of the lambs'.

There's a story in the keeper library how Garret was equipped with a mechanical eye, can't remember exactly what it said only that it was replaced sometime during his training.

Rommel_1891
6th Nov 2004, 22:15
You have to play the first Thief game to find out how Garrett got the mechanical eye. ;)