PDA

View Full Version : Will Sharpe march again, and Hornblower sail on?

boudreux
15th Oct 2004, 04:31
I would assume that since we're all pumped for this game and time period, some people here have to be familiar with the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell or the Horatio Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. If you aren't, i would suggest trying them. All fiction, but the story takes place among lots of fact, and is incredibly entertaining. Sharpe is about the rise through the ranks of a soldier in the British Army, from 1799 till 1815. From the ranks, to a Lt. Colonel. The bulk of the series focuses on the Peninsula Campaign, which is wonderfully told. The Hornblower series is in the same period, with the same story arc, but the subject is in the Navy. Definately a productive way to get ready for this game :)

My main question is, will the "greenjackets", the Riflemen, be a special unit available to the British? They were decidely the best skirmishers of the Napoleonic Wars, with their focused recruiting and Baker Rifles. Also, will France mass huge amounts of artillery, as a special bonus?
This is the game i've been waiting to get made, as long as I've been a gamer.

Willmore
15th Oct 2004, 17:52
You forgot the O'Brien novels.

boudreux
15th Oct 2004, 18:14
Pardon me. I enjoyed those, and the movie adaptation. What other great reading on this era does everyone suggest?

The_Russian_Rocket
15th Oct 2004, 19:45
In response to the question:
If special units are given I can only think of two: Your Green jackets and the German Hessians. If the Austrians, French and the Russians are given bonuses they would have to be as influential as the units.

Adding the special units would be a great idea in my opinion but I cannot think of a bonus for Austria and The Russians.

Happyslave
16th Oct 2004, 05:53
Originally posted by The_Russian_Rocket
but I cannot think of a bonus for Austria and The Russians. [/B]

What about Huzzars for Russia or am I terribly mistaken?

Paddy the Scot
19th Oct 2004, 11:32
great stories

well worth the effort :D

The_Russian_Rocket
21st Oct 2004, 22:58
Originally posted by Happyslave
What about Huzzars for Russia or am I terribly mistaken?

Partly right, Napoleon Bonaparte had a few of his own.

haradrim
23rd Oct 2004, 17:30
Russia could have cossacks as a UU. being able to create partisans would be pretty neat and actually being able to lead your partisan units on raids would be fun too.

MartNick
29th Oct 2004, 22:16
Alan Mallinson writes in this period, starts at Waterloo and goes on to India/USA. About a cavalry officer Matthew Hervey. A bit heavier read than Sharpe.

Richard Howard writes from a French Dragoon perspective, but I feel this series of books is quite weak compared to Sharpe

Capt. Hatter USN
30th Oct 2004, 04:17
With Russell Crowes golden locks flowing in the breeze in the movie adaptation there has to be a demand for a serious naval component here!

CaptTermiteUSN
31st Oct 2004, 22:56
Dudley Pope - Nicholas Ramage Series

Alexander Kent - Richard Bolitho Series

Dewey Lambdin - Alan Lewrie Series

Pope was a well known English historian having written a definitive book on Trafalgar before CS Forester died. Forester suggested Pope try fiction and the Ramage books are the result. They are historically perfect and very lively.

Kent's real name is Douglas Rheeman and I like his books the best.

Alan Lewrie is a bad boy with a good stash of black powder arms. lol

term