PDA

View Full Version : Another reminder for slow learners

Jumpin_Jebus
13th Oct 2004, 20:53
Hey folks-

Just wanted to drop in with a quick comment here. I must say the number of people who are sending in the ShellShock DVD-Rom version for the CD-Rom version is absolutely staggering. We are averageing around 40-70 new packages a day. It boggles my mind how many people do not read the minimum requirements when buying software. It will save you, and especially me a LOT of hassle. Especially when people start calling our support line every day wondering where their game is. :mad:

Listen, we'll get it back to you as soon as we can. I am the only person processing these things, and I ain't superman. All packages are being processed in a first come first serve basis, and we'll get the replacements out ASAP.

Now I understand that your hard earned money was spent on a product you can't use, so you have to wait. It's a pain in the butt, I know, I've been there. But come on people... If you buy game that CLEARLY states that a specific piece of hardware is required to run it (ie: DVD-Rom), and you know full well you don't have that hardware. Don't Buy the Game It's as simple as that. :rolleyes:

So.....in closing...

Please remember to ALWAYS read the minimum requirements BEFORE purchasing ANY game. They are there for a very good reason!

Ok, I'm done venting now, thank you for your time.

TLK
14th Oct 2004, 17:56
I think that's a little unfair. I know you're overworked, and that sucks. But please understand that this situation was created by management in your company. Don't get angry. Please read my message and try to understand how this came about.

1) I usually read the specs, but lightly because I always have a higher-end PC. I'm a computer professional, and I consider myself a sophisticated PC user.

2) To be honest, I have always skipped over the part about CDROM (or DVD in this case) because all games I bought before have specified a CDROM drive whose specs I've always met in the past. I never encountered any game on DVD before SSN '67.

3) I actually learned about the DVD release from this forum before buying the game. So I actually shopped for the DVD drive (which I never needed before) before buying 'Nam. If I hadn't have read it here, I doubt I would have noticed before I got the game home.

4) There's a friendly piece of paper inside the box that reassures you that if you goofed and don't have a DVD-ROM drive, you can swap for CDROMs. The tone of the message is very inviting. That was a very good move on your company's part, because a lot of people will feel bad when they find out they would otherwise need to return the game or pony up more cash for a DVD-ROM drive. The cheapest I saw was about $40, doubling the cost to bring 'Nam home.

5) I don't watch TV much, but I actually saw an ad for this game a few weeks ago. I don't recall anything mentioned about needing a DVD-ROM drive. I never saw TV ads for for any of the other games I played in the last 12 months (Far Cry, Call of Duty, Unreal 2, UT 2003/2004, RTCW, LO-MAC, BF 1942 / Desert Combat). I think that this type of advertising may have generated a lot of excitement around the game, and resulted in a lot of impulse sales at 'Nam's release by folks who probably didn't think of checking the box for the DVD-ROM requirement.

Maybe you can pass along the message to management, if they haven't already figured this out. Hopefully, some extra manpower can be assigned to handling the CD-ROM swaps.

Jumpin_Jebus
14th Oct 2004, 18:14
I did not mean to irk anybody off by that, and I understand everyone's frustration. I've had to send products back to companies before, and it sucks.

From what I can tell, Eidos made ShellShock on DVD only, to save money. Simple as that. It's a 1 DVD disk game versus a 4 CD-Rom disk game.

I just find it very interesting how many people do not read or pay attention to the system specs on the box. It happens for every game we make, especially Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief: Deadly Shadows which require specialized renderer support.

I simply wrote that to:

#1 ...vent, and I apologize if I offended anybody.

#2 ...do what I can to help people realize the importance if the system specs. You would not believe how many people I talk to who thought those are only the recommended specs...(even though it says "System Requirements")

And I will say again, I do apologize for the long wait. I'm working as fast as I can, and I will get your packages out as soon as possible.

jaywalker2309
14th Oct 2004, 23:16
Originally posted by TLK
2) To be honest, I have always skipped over the part about CDROM (or DVD in this case) because all games I bought before have specified a CDROM drive whose specs I've always met in the past. I never encountered any game on DVD before SSN '67.

I not sure if its same over there as it is in europe, but here we have very large PC DVD written in the top left corner of the front of the case.

Europe doesnt have the option of a cd backup :)

Jumpin_Jebus
14th Oct 2004, 23:26
Nah Jayson, I wish they would have done that. On the US release it has DVD-Rom Drive Required in the system requirements panel on the bottom of the box. It should have been on the front. Who knows.....:(

jaywalker2309
14th Oct 2004, 23:31
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B000246FPS.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

This is uk box. nice and big :)

Jumpin_Jebus
14th Oct 2004, 23:35
Actually, I take back what I said. It does have a similar logo on the front. It looks almost exactly like the old PC CD-Rom logo though. Not something that would catch your eye.

jaywalker2309
14th Oct 2004, 23:40
Originally posted by Jumpin_Jebus
Actually, I take back what I said. It does have a similar logo on the front. It looks almost exactly like the old PC CD-Rom logo though. Not something that would cath your eye.

think its more then clear enough.. specially if you see it next to a cdrom box..
The retailer should be checking if the consumer is a) old enough b) got dvd (as its still early days for this media on pc)

Clumsyorchid
14th Oct 2004, 23:43
That's interesting, I haven't seen the UK rating system icons before. They look so much kinder than the ESRB ones.

jaywalker2309
14th Oct 2004, 23:50
Originally posted by Clumsyorchid
That's interesting, I haven't seen the UK rating system icons before. They look so much kinder than the ESRB ones.

Our pegi (http://www.pegi.info/pegi.jsp?language=en&content=pegi) system is more iconic.

The 18 logo on shellshock is the `movie` rating system (BBFC). Shellshock went through this due to its graphic nature etc

Clumsyorchid
14th Oct 2004, 23:59
I'm familiar with the system, I remember discussing the ratings during other projects. I just had never seen what the identifying logos were for the age requirements. They just look friendlier.

jaywalker2309
15th Oct 2004, 00:03
Hehe talk about us hijacking our own forums :)

Hopefully people are finding wat we are posting of interest :)

Clumsyorchid
15th Oct 2004, 00:12
Bah, not so bad. At least it's still on topic.

cooljay1804
15th Oct 2004, 00:33
Thats one of the first things I always check when buying software (be it a game or something else) is the software requirments. I've heard lots of stories of people buying incompatable software do to the fact that they don't read the requirments and then get upset at the company for "not specifying that it wouldn't work"

Those rating icon's look so much better than this:
http://esrb.com/images/icon_m.gif

TLK
15th Oct 2004, 01:25
Here's the US box for Shellshock. Also is the Far Cry box. Far Cry is PC-CDROM and Shellshock PC-DVD (obviously). These logos are just barely different.

It would be better to have the DVD logo like on the UK box.

http://monte-carlo.stanford.edu/~todd/pix/ssn67.jpg
http://monte-carlo.stanford.edu/~todd/pix/farcry.jpg

Clumsyorchid
15th Oct 2004, 02:25
That's interesting :). Hey jaycw2309, do you have a UK PC CD Rom Box that we can use for comparison?

bhayes1969
24th Oct 2004, 00:10
Actually saw the comercial for the game just the other day. Seeing as I have a DVR, I recorded the commercial and replayed it over, and over in normal speed and slo-mo, then paused it. Your TV commercial clearly states that the game is PC-CDROM and NOT DVD-ROM. Just thought you might like to know. BTW finally got my cds yesterday and love the game now that I am able to play it.

Jumpin_Jebus
25th Oct 2004, 16:03
Really?!?! I'll have to have a friendly "chat" with our marketing department. Thanks for the info, and sorry for the long wait. I'm glad the game is working for you! :D

landfair123
26th Oct 2004, 08:07
Well, I knew it was for DVD but I still can't play it. I finally managed to install it but I get errors when I hit play on the Auto play and when I ues the Desktop icon. So I am still bummed.

jaywalker2309
26th Oct 2004, 19:41
Originally posted by Clumsyorchid
That's interesting :). Hey jaycw2309, do you have a UK PC CD Rom Box that we can use for comparison?

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005YWDM.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

There ya go

Jumpin_Jebus
26th Oct 2004, 20:58
LandFair, post your DXDIAG info. Just the System Information, Display Devices, and Sound Devices sections please. I'll see what I can do.

jaywalker2309
26th Oct 2004, 21:03
Sounds like it could be the shortcut `service pack 2` problem.

Does running the exe from the installed folder work (ie not using any shortcut)

landfair123
27th Oct 2004, 05:26
Here is my information. I hope you can figure it out.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/26/2004, 22:23:10
Machine name: TONY-302D104D6F
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model: KT400A-8237
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
Memory: 512MB RAM
Page File: 156MB used, 1094MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: SAPPHIRE RADEON 9200 ATLANTIS
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: RADEON 9200 AGP (0x5961)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5961&SUBSYS_7C13174B&REV_01
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (85Hz)
Monitor: NEC MultiSync XV17
Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6483 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/29/2004 08:22:42, 216576 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
Mini VDD Date: 9/29/2004 08:22:22, 800256 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71EE2-1A21-11CF-A86D-195CA0C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x1002
Device ID: 0x5961
SubSys ID: 0x7C13174B
Revision ID: 0x0001
Revision ID: 0x0001
Video Accel:
Deinterlace Caps: n/a
Registry: OK
DDraw Status: Enabled
D3D Status: Enabled
AGP Status: Not Available
DDraw Test Result: Not run
D3D7 Test Result: Not run
D3D8 Test Result: Not run
D3D9 Test Result: Not run

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: Yes
Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_476516F3&REV_60
Manufacturer ID: 65535
Product ID: 65535
Type: WDM
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5490 (English)
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 2/18/2004 08:51:08, 610988 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0xF5F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 192000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 33, 32
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 33, 32
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: Yes
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: Yes, Yes
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Sound Test Result: Not run

Description: Modem #2 Line Playback (emulated)
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID:
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 81
Type: Emulated
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
WHQL Logo'd:
Date and Size:
Other Files:
Driver Provider:
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
Sound Test Result: Not run

---------------------
Sound Capture Devices
---------------------
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Default Sound Capture: Yes
Default Voice Capture: Yes
Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5490 (English)
Date and Size: 2/18/2004 08:51:08, 610988 bytes
Cap Flags: 0x41
Format Flags: 0xFFF

Description: Modem #2 Line Record (emulated)
Default Sound Capture: No
Default Voice Capture: No
Driver Name:
Driver Version:
Driver Attributes:
Date and Size:
Cap Flags: 0x20
Format Flags: 0x0

landfair123
27th Oct 2004, 05:34
I tried to run from the main exe and it did not work. It says that I am trying to play with a backup disk and I need the original. That is what I have been using.

jaywalker2309
27th Oct 2004, 08:50
Originally posted by landfair123
I tried to run from the main exe and it did not work. It says that I am trying to play with a backup disk and I need the original. That is what I have been using.

Could you do the following..

Right click on the main exe, and select launch analysis. Follow the onscreen instructions. Then PM me and i'll get the file from you (zipped up) and find out whats causing it.